Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Birmingham gig - 26 March 2014
  • 53 Comments sorted by
  • rewak said:

Really? Sodding Little Bird and RAWH but no Simone, or Laurel?

'Little bird' and RAWH are hugely popular in concert! Nothing wrong with the 2 other songs you mention, but they do have to limit the setlist somehow...
  • Having 2 old extended 7 minute songs in the set is unnecessary, and then of course Strict is extended too! Cut one and make the time for new songs, it is after all the Tales tour. And if they're really set on having so many extended songs in the set I'd still rather they ditched these ones we've had in each tour for donkeys years now and bring back the extended Hairy Trees.
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-03-26 20:31:42
  • It was a really enjoyable show considering it was the first one.  Lots of things went wrong, some of which they attempted to cover but some of which they just had to hold their hands up to.  It's a good job Alison spoke up as I don't think people would have gotten up off their backsides.  Think that has a lot to do with the venue though, you're just not sure if it's appropriate to dance about.  Will was in his usual spot lurking behind the mixing desk so I'm sure he'll let them know the score. Would like to go to a later date just to see how the tour progresses.  Yello Halo was a nice surprise.  Only criticism is that maybe it felt like two shows, an all strings first half and then disco second half.  I think that may have also added to people not knowing whether to get up or not.  Possibly they could have just picked from Felt Mountain, Seventh Tree and Tales and given us an orchestral show or something.  Enjoyed it either way.
  • rewak said:

Having 2 old extended 7 minute songs in the set is unnecessary, and then of course Strict is extended too! Cut one and make the time for new songs, it is after all the Tales tour. And if they're really set on having so many extended songs in the set I'd still rather they ditched these ones we've had in each tour for donkeys years now and bring back the extended Hairy Trees.

Once again, bands will probably never cater for the avid fan that memorizes every frigging gig they went to.
    Goldfrapp at least add a healthy portion of the new material. heck, they're even brave enough to open the show with it. I've been lucky enough to visit Frapp gigs through the years, they never disappointed imho, where a LOT of other acts did.They always focused on their newish material and added some fan-favorites. One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan. Looking forward to hearing such a hidden gem as Yellow Halo.
    Remember, we're not all folks that visit Frapp once in a while....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • goddam, people are never happy lol
  • Cheers for report LB!

The naming thing is freaky.. in a good way! :-) Did she just casually say "Hey there, is <insert name> here tonight? How ya doing?"

Was right before Ooh La La she just said 'is there a Kate Gordon here?' So I shrieked a little and everyone pointed to where I was and she laughed and said hello at which point I went into meltdown lol

As mentioned there were quite a few mistakes and also the first part of Utopia was pre recorded?! Always seen her sing it live before! She sang the other amazing bit towards the end though. She missed the first verse of Train and RAWH was restarted. Few other things too though she did admit to being nervous and asked if taking drugs might help lol

Hope someone can put the songs into an order for you, I know they opened with Jo and encore was Utopia, Clowns, Train and Strict Machine

Still buzzing this morning, lie in has gone right out the window! Lol
  • Theres an extended Hairy Trees???
  • I love this set list! Can't wait until Bristol.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/howard.trigg
    INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/howiet1971/
  • What a great gig the frapp rocked birmingham last night. More little fluff ups than I've seen before but I don't think I've ever been able to see so well before! She was massively nervous, cocking up the very first note of Jo, I think it really threw her for a minute but everything settled down. at the end of ooh lala, she looked at angie going 'do we leave now' angie was like 'I think so' then they all looked a bit awkward at each other before just walking off without saying anything. Then Totally missed the cue on train and angie had to help her out with that but they all seemed to be laughing about it. And they completely stopped RAWH after a few bars, again A seems to be handling it a lit better than she did years back, which i guess is a lot to do with confidence and security in what youre doing? once those initial nerves settled down they seemed to be having fun, it was great.
    On the set list thing, there's always gonna be songs you'd have liked to hear, but I'm always really happy with whatever they choose to play. I know they're not playing just for me (sadly).
    I only saw whisper it there, I did have a bit of a look round but didn't see anyone else, sounds like you had fun. Good to know A is checking you made it little bird, I bet she was a bit concerned after the cinema incident?!
    Alison tweeted this morning about the 'standing up' issue. I'm not a massive fan of seated venues full stop. After number 1 A said 'you can stand up, if you like. It's really good when you stand up'. And we all went terribly British and looked a bit awkward, a few people got up, then I think after the little RAWH cock up we all got up as a show of support. Anyhow, it was a lovely venue that could have only been made better if they ripped the seats out. It was a big place too, I'm pleased they could fill it! Looking forward to Bristol!
    Post edited by ping at 2014-03-27 05:40:43
  • Thank you for the wonderful reviews everyone!

Kate that is FUCKING AWESOME!! I think you are right Lou, she really did seem upset by the fact that your cinema experience was ruined. What a doll. I think I would have been crying if that were me :)

tomato23 love your photos :) I'm stalking you now on Instagram ;-) I can't believe you are going to New York to see them for your Birthday, how utterly wonderful!! Have a brilliant time & I hope to see lots of photos.

I've been a little blue recently and not as excited about Brighton as I should be, these reports have helped a good deal towards fixing that, thank you!
  • I forgot to mention how brilliant the sound was.... The sound was brilliant.
    Una... Chin up chuck you'll have a great time! Wish I was coming Brighton too! :( :)
  • Sounds like it was a good gig all around! I always like it when there's a cock up or two, it just makes it seem all the more individual, but then I'm a bit strange like that! 

I was meant to go to this gig but due to recent events sadly couldn't make it, I've always liked the symphony hall as a venue, although admittedly it doesn't lend itself well to standing up and having a dance.  The staff are pretty stuffy and I think 95% of usual attendees there wouldn't dream of getting out of their seats.  Very good sound in there though.  

Ooooh I'm definitely looking forward to Saturday a bit more now.  And next wednesday, even though Reading Hexagon is a wank venue. haha. 
  • Dreeke said:

Remember, we're not all folks that visit Frapp once in a while....

Yeah but if you've seen them at all in the past 5 years you'll have seen LB and RAWH, and if you haven't you're more than likely to have only found them through Tales and will be going to hear that live.
    chokka said:

Theres an extended Hairy Trees???

Indeed there is!

• I enjoyed it but the technical fuck ups (I lost count) never seem to be fully ironed out. I bet the rehursal went well. I felt bad for her being so nervous. When it went right it sounded great. I love that they do Yellow halo. So great. I also love the extended versions of their older stuff. So there.

One of the fuck ups seemed to be when someone else was playing keyboards. Angie seemed to be twiddling her thumbs looking at the laptop in places. Why not let Angie do all keyboards as she doesnt fluff up? I am a bit worried bout that girls back. At one point I thought if Angie goes any lower she will be on the floor. Then she was, crouching under the keyboard. As you can guess I was seated on that side of the venue.

I hate seated gigs if Alison wants us standy upy (understandable) she should play standing venues and save the cash.. l hate that venue due to its size and security (I see Mark Kermode still works there). This time they let us take photos unlike on 7th tree tour. The only good thing bout seated venues is you can see more and in turn notice more little things maybe as youve got time to take it all in.

Roll on Brighton.
    Una I am blue atm but I am sure I wont be by Saturday (theres always overpriced alcohol if all else fails).
  • Oh yeh the lighting n set was same as last years Hammersmith except no lazers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!