Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'Thea' remixes announced
  • 72 Comments sorted by
  • I agree, it is very pitchy! I give them an A for effort. I think it's a good musical idea, even has some Kate Bushy moments. But, overall those pitchy moments bother me too much. I wish they could have worked those out.
    Goldfrapps original Thea is still head and shoulders above these two remixes.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Yeah weird use of Melodyne going on there. Better than the Twin Shadows remix, at least they tried something that wasn't random dance shit with the vocals slapped on it, but it's kind of hard to get into when it sounds like a warped cassette in places.
  • Pitchy? As in out of tune? I don't think there's a moment of pitchiness. There is, however, a moment or two during which the mixer is unsure of which key he or she wants to be in. It's hardly unusual in remixes; plus, the album version of the song is a little unconventional in that very respect. That's probably why the mixer can't quite find the key. Or else that's just what he or she does.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • They're not afraid to be original, I'll give them that.

• PG, perhaps, you're referring to the melodic changes in the vocal, which sound to me like either an alternative recording or an unused harmony--either way quite deliberate and perfectly in tune.
  • It is the vocal i'm referring to, it's been altered after the fact and not terribly well, it's like they missed the very start of the note so you get a snip of the regular pitch and then the change comes in so it just sounds warped.
  • iuventus said:

PG, perhaps, you're referring to the melodic changes in the vocal, which sound to me like either an alternative recording or an unused harmony--either way quite deliberate and perfectly in tune.

I'm referring to the mix, the music is flat and not moving with the pitch of her singing. Look at the waveform...its a continuous melody not fluctuating with her voice. That's just my opinion.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-03-10 14:16:52
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Sounds like they just tried brightening the key a bit. Actually, they did, and without creating any irreconsilable  dissonance. It's just not the original mood of the song. Flat? I don't hear it. If we're looking at the same thing, I don't think that the waveform is an indicator of pitch anyhow.
  • I get the feeling I shouldnt bother hearing Thea remixes :s
  • I guess I'm trying to say, the melody flatlines a bit...it should move more with the pitch of her singing. I don't want to put anybody off of it...it just sounds a bit "off" to me. The original is far superior in any case.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • As far as the vocal, rewak, I cannot comment on the technical aspect of it. The inversion of the melody, however, is perfectly acceptable from an aesthetic perspective. I don't mean that just as a matter of opinion; though, I love it when composers do that. It certainly follows the rules of harmonics, does it not?
  • Ponygurl said:

I guess I'm trying to say, the melody flatlines a bit...it should move more with the pitch of her singing. I don't want to put anybody off of it...it just sounds a bit "off" to me. The original is far superior in any case.

It almost sounds like they utilized a harmonic track. Perhaps, to you, it sounds like the melody is missing.
  • iuventus said:

As far as the vocal, rewak, I cannot comment on the technical aspect of it. The inversion of the melody, however, is perfectly acceptable from an aesthetic perspective. I don't mean that just as a matter of opinion; though, I love it when composers do that. It certainly follows the rules of harmonics, does it not?

What they've done, i'm guessing anyway, is run the vocal track through a program called Melodyne which automatically splits vocal tracks into segments depending on key, then you can change the key and pitch of each segment as you please. The problem with it being automated is it isn't an exact science, which is why i'm betting they've used it or a similar automatic program given the warp-y aspect of certain parts.
  •  Auto tune is the one that automatically moves vocals to pitches based on an input midi line and it does it far better than that artifact . Melodyne is mostly manual so the vocal segments are moved in whole as required , treating the vocals as (in effect) midi notes . Sounds more like a "woops" to me , not that I g.a.f.
     You either like it or you don`t , rather like my favourite pants with a hole in the left buttock , I still like them .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • It's...different. I would never change a main melody line, and definitely not in a main vocal. But it's...different. 

the album version of the song is a little unconventional in that very respect. That's probably why the mixer can't quite find the key. 

I found the key and I wasn't being paid to remix it, just messing around on my Mac. I'm an amateur, self taught GarageBand geek. I think people are being paid a lot less money to remix tracks now. In the 90s it was in the hundreds, now I think it's less than a giro.
    Post edited by Sparky at 2014-03-10 18:15:06

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!