Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'Tales of us' film & Q&A - 18 Jan 2014
  • 62 Comments sorted by
  • Excellent night with lots of insight on the creative process from Lisa Gunning. Concerning THE event later in the year, there is meant to be an announcement of some sort on Monday!
  • Yeah, sounds like a mass screening of the films in many cinemas, with live music in real time.. Actually I didn't really understand but will probably be completely brilliant. Lisa sounded excited about it, but cagey at the same time.

And, guys, they want to turn Annabel 'feature length' .

Great night, I've put this on twitter as I haven't really been around here so much and totally missed the film stuff (/ some of the leak / don't show it / show it / blah blah was getting on my tits so I avoided it)
    ANYWAY. I hadn't seen Laurel or Stranger and I still don't really know if anyone else has, but they are gorgeous. Dark. And beautiful. Lisa told the story of how the 'laurel' film came about so, if you have seen it or even if you haven't or even when you do, I'm happy to retell the story. Very entertaining.

Most of her talking after the film was very entertaining. She talked about how her and Alison 'cut the film in our house' with friends doing lots of it as they were on such a budget. And how she'd like to make films for the rest of the songs but it was money that stopped it.

Jo looks so beautiful in colour and on a big screen. I did have a moment, I'd seen Annabel and Drew, but they too look amazing in cinema world.

Hold out, those who haven't seen them, as it sounds like you might get a chance to very soon.
  • Laura said:

Yeah, sounds like a mass screening of the films in many cinemas, with live music in real time.. Actually I didn't really understand but will probably be completely brilliant.

I wonder if it's something like the broadcasts of live opera to cinemas that have been going on for a while .... been to one and it's amazing.

The difference being that in this case you'd have a film already in the cinema and what's effectively a radio broadcast to the cinema.

Can anybody remember what Will did for the silent movie films? Something like this or did they rock up to a venue with the film and a band?

Sounds like an amazing evening Laura, I'm very envious. Thanks so much for the report and the hope we might get to see the films!
  • Will composed a new score for He who gets slapped and played it live to the movie on a one only event that got broadcasted on the radio with the unfortunate commenting of some locutor.
  • I wonder if it's something like the broadcasts of live opera to cinemas that have been going on for a while .... been to one and it's amazing.

The difference being that in this case you'd have a film already in the cinema and what's effectively a radio broadcast to the cinema.

Can anybody remember what Will did for the silent movie films? Something like this or did they rock up to a venue with the film and a band?

Sounds like an amazing evening Laura, I'm very envious. Thanks so much for the report and the hope we might get to see the films!

Hmm, I guess a live-screening thing does sound a more likely scenario. My earlier impression was that they were going to play actual gigs at various cinema venues before-or-after the showing of the film. But it's unlikely they'd do that, on a widespread basis... as well as the spring UK tour already lined-up.

I guess we''ll know tomorrow. Oh, yes - thanks Laura for the comments on the event - here and on twitter :-)

As LuisMariano says, the 'Slapped' show was performed at a Bristol hall (I was there) with full orchestra. I seem to remember it was also done once or twice at a London venue? I'd forgotten about the broadcast.. was there commentary over it? I recorded the original myself (audio only)... should have the file somewhere.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-19 09:38:58
  • I love the idea of a live band tour taking the film round cinemas - but as you say, there's limited amounts of time with the spring tour and all.

Don't want to raise expectations unduly but the technology (especially for a radio broadcast type thing) has been there for a long time to cope with international relay as well as UK. Don't know how much it costs though.
  • yes, it's definitely good to see the work on the big screen, nice evening. Very nice to met Peter, Mark and the lady whose name I always forget, and have a drink together ! Aliceltb was there too.

Appreciated a lot the Q&A, I had so many things to ask that at the end I've asked nothing ... just listened the answers. One thing Lisa said, as Alison had already done: they like to leave the work open to more meanings. By the words she has used or how she said it or because I don't expect it or I don't know, this thing has got a new and different from the previous meaning to me.

Waiting for the event in the cinemas now, or what it will be

• Good to see you to Giancarlo - Jayne hasn't been called a lady in years so you are now her favourite!
  • Here's a link to Lisa's final question/answer on the live screening as well as the Annabel project - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tb3z6iq7s4mbwfy/3886bZ_6Fk
  • Thanks for the link Mark & good to see you, Jayne and Giancarlo (hope you enjoyed the Lowry today)

Found out that Jo was filmed at Kelvedon Hatch, just a few miles from where I live - must go and have a look

• Thanks for the link Mark & good to see you, Jayne and Giancarlo (hope you enjoyed the Lowry today)

Found out that Jo was filmed at Kelvedon Hatch, just a few miles from where I live - must go and have a look

Would that be the old cold war bunker by any chance? I hope to visit there sometime
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • st185cs said:

Here's a link to Lisa's final question/answer on the live screening as well as the Annabel project - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tb3z6iq7s4mbwfy/3886bZ_6Fk

Thanks for the audio clip!

"...these films get streamed live to over 300 cinemas around the world".

So it does sound like there'll be just the one performance+film event, but many cinema-goers will be able to see it at the time.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-19 15:26:44
  • @st185cs Jayne, yes ! Many thanks for the link, the wi-fi here seems not allowing the downloads so I'll open it this evening at home. (Edit: done, thanks again)

@NovaLasing really appreciated the exhibition at The Lowry, was a long time that I wanted to watch it !

Post edited by Giancarlo at 2014-01-20 12:22:28
  • thanks a lot for the link!
  • DID YOU ALL GET YOUR EMAIL TODAY ABOUT ONE OFF SHOWING ON 4th MARCH. SUBSCRIBE TO GET PRE WARNING OF TICKETS AND VENUES WHERE IT WILL BE SHOWED.
    I've subscribed, bloody slow process as normal!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!