Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Fan encounters with Alison
  • Hi everyone :)

I'm new to this site. I've been a Godlfrapp fan since around March 2012... I'm a huge Suzi Quatro fan and once I heard her version of Strict Machine I suddenly found myself buying everything (and I do mean everything) Goldfrapp have ever made!

I saw them play live at the Manchester Albert Hall and it was a life changing experience, not only seeing them live, but actually meeting Will and especially Alison.

I was really pleased that, after reading a few negative comments about her as a person, that she was very nice and humble.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any stories, good or bad, about meeting Alison over the years? 

I  gladly will share my own story  in this thread :)
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • i have'nt met Alison in person but i have met Will just after the manchester shows (night 2) back in july, had a little chat before security staff told to leave.... :)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I have not met her. But if i did i think i would freeze. I was stood right near the front at the Manchester Academy concert i went in 2010. I was all shaky with excitement because i was just yards away. It took me all my time to be able to wave. So i always said, Imagine if i met her. I would probably show myself up tbh. There have been a few posters on here who have had pics taken. + Got things signed.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • ^ same here was on the front row at both manchester gigs back in july.....
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • About 10 of us got to meet both Alison and Will before the Eden concert in 2006. Alison was kinda dressed down - orange hoodie & scruffy trainers, lol. She gave us each a bottle of bubbly, and they were both very charming.

I'm not in this clip (as I'm filming, doh!) but there are 4 or 5 people who post here - who are. :) 

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-14 16:17:24
  • cw36frapp said:

There have been a few posters on here who have had pics taken. + Got things signed.

One of them is now me...

I went both days at the Manchester shows.

Day 1, I arrived early, around 1pm.... waited around the back of the Albert Hall before checking out the front of the venue. There were two doors at the front- one for the audience, one for the artists. I checked with the guy on the door if Goldfrapp would enter through this door and he said yes.

He came outside and asked me why I wanted to know, so I told him that I just wanted her to sign my Head First LP. "Good luck, mate. I couldn't get a poster signed yesterday" was the reply... this dashed my hopes a little, and also came as no surprise after hearing other stories like this, but I was determined to at least try.

He was really nice and we chatted about the band a few times during the day. Angie and co arrived at different times during the afternoon- they were all staying at the Radisson hotel, just across the street from the venue, so they all just walked it over.

I soon learned that the tour manager wouldn't allow Alison to sign anything from security. 

Around 5pm, another fan who was waiting for her pointed out a short blonde woman, dressed all in black with sunglasses on, waving from across the street to some of the crew. She looked pretty frantic and we soon realised that it was Alison. The security guard came out and said that she had rang ahead and not to approach her, saying "she's very shy."

She walked past us and looked at me, I looked back and smiled and mouthed 'hi', and she did the same before going inside the venue- although not a proper meeting I felt like I was in heaven. 

Soon after Will arrived and was very nice, signed a few of my albums, chatted about this and that. He remarked that Head First was "a long time ago", so I reminded him that that was the last album they brought out and how hard it has been to have to wait for a new one. He agreed to take my LP inside to get Alison to sign it. Within the next 20 minutes, the security guard came out and presented me with Head First, signed and dedicated on the back... I was on cloud nine! "James hello 2 U xxx Alison <3 2013."

Day 2.

Now with the valuable info of where the band was staying, I tried my luck standing by the hotel, desperate to get my copy of Seventh Tree (my favourite album) signed. Will had already signed it the day before, but not the record so I wanted to ask him to sign it too.

Around 3.30pm he came out and had a quick chat, signed my album (he was really pleased that Alison had signed it for me), then he patted me on the shoulder, said "see you tonight" and went for a wander around Manchester. 

I was waiting for hours and hours. In fact, Will actually came back around the corner with some shopping bags a few hours later and looked surprised to see me still there. 

It got to the time that Alison had left for the venue the day before and there was still no sign of her. I was beginning to feel like I had missed her, and was becoming a bit conspicuous standing in the same place for such a long time. Even worse, after no sign of the tour manager either, I was sure that she would come out with Alison and not let her sign anything.

Not long after this, out came Alison, dressed in a plain black t shirt, black jeans, white trainers and emerald tinted sunglasses, and her tour manager... a mad rush of excitement soared through me, but I calmly approached her and called her name (not too loudly). Shortly after I did this, a Belgian man screamed at the top of his voice "ALISON!" and she spun around in shock. 

The tour manager kept insisting that they had no time for autographs, so much so that Alison could have signed about 50 autographs in the time it took for the manager to say there was no time! Although, to be fair to her, she was very polite about it, and it is her job to ensure that all goes smoothly. But I think Alison could tell we were genuine fans as I had an album and the other guy wanted a gig ticket signing, so she said "Oh, we can do it really quickly". I almost thought she just meant for the other guy, but she came over to me after signing for him, took my sharpie and signed Seventh Tree for me. No greeting this time, just a plain 'Alison X', but I was so made up that I didn't care one bit.

All I could think of saying was "You were incredible last night", with which she replied "Oh, thank you. Thank you very much... and keep cool" (meaning how hot it was inside the venue). I mentioned the heat inside there too, and with that she smiled and we both walked off... her into the venue, me to the local Sainsbury's to get my first drink in 4 hours! I also had Black Cherry with me under Seventh Tree, and she saw it too, but she handed the pen back to me straight after signing the first thing so I didn't push it- I was so deliriously happy that she had signed an album that is so important to me.

Before I went into the show, I got the train home first to change clothes and leave all my albums at home and must have looked like such an idiot on the train with such a huge grin on my face- not only because I got my album signed, but because someone I respect so much lived up to my expectations. :D 
  • Wow and they say Beatlemania hasn't been matched, I wannalife93/s little tale proves that it has ;)

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Well.... Uhm...

We were lucky enough to spot both Alison and Angie when Goldfrapp were supporting Massive Attack in Amsterdam (7th Tree era). They were really lovely and I remember asking Alison if they would play at the Lowlands festival and she replied that they sadly weren't going to play there.

I've interviewed both Will and Alison when Head First was released.
    Being a huge fan that was kind of a surreal experience, but I managed to pull it off in the end.
    Still proud of what I did there.

Opted for another interview recently, but I've yet to receive any news about that...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I met Alison at meet & greet in 2010 when they played in Poland. It was very short meeting, I gave her a letter, Alison signed my HF poster and ST postcard. She was very nice and friendly.

Now I'm trying to arrange an interview with Alison in Berlin in November
  • I met Will and had a nice chat with him at Royal Albert Hall 7T era. Had my picture taken with him but its on my Facebook page somewhere. Had the picture made into a key ring for my car keys too L-)

• Dreeke said:

Well.... Uhm...

We were lucky enough to spot both Alison and Angie when Goldfrapp were supporting Massive Attack in Amsterdam (7th Tree era). They were really lovely and I remember asking Alison if they would play at the Lowlands festival and she replied that they sadly weren't going to play there.

I've interviewed both Will and Alison when Head First was released.
    Being a huge fan that was kind of a surreal experience, but I managed to pull it off in the end.
    Still proud of what I did there.

Opted for another interview recently, but I've yet to receive any news about that...

I'm a journalist myself. They haven't put any interview time forward yet. Maybe once the tour kicks off...
  • Well I posted my wonderful experience and a pic I took with Allison after the Beacon Theater show this past Tuesday in New York but it disappeared from the boards a few days ago. Anyway having been a fan since 2000 and seen them before in concert the third time was the most memorable because a small group of Us waited around by the side exit of the Beacon Hotel for about an hour and a half after the show Tuesday night and had the pleasure of meeting Allison she was sweet talkative and very humble and gracious. My voice trembled when I asked her would she take a pic but she kindly obliged me and I plan on getting the pic framed right along with the limited Tales of Us signed poster I picked up at the Beacon Theater. Tuesday night in New York.
    Post edited by u41211 at 2013-09-14 21:29:35
  • ^ Your post with pictures is still there! It's in the 'Goldfrapp Live in NYC September 10th, 2013' thread, posted Sept 12. You can also get to it via your profile page, comments section.
  • About 10 of us got to meet both Alison and Will before the Eden concert in 2006. Alison was kinda dressed down - orange hoodie & scruffy trainers, lol. She gave us each a bottle of bubbly, and they were both very charming.

I'm not in this clip (as I'm filming, doh!) but there are 4 or 5 people who post here - who are. :) 

Oh good grief....I didn't realise it was still on youtube HAHAHAHA. They were charm personified bless them both. .
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I'm a journalist myself. They haven't put any interview time forward yet. Maybe once the tour kicks off...

Alison was in Amsterdam for interviews in August, but Mute decided to only have interviews for printed magazines.
    Which is very 1985 of them imho....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

I'm a journalist myself. They haven't put any interview time forward yet. Maybe once the tour kicks off...

Alison was in Amsterdam for interviews in August, but Mute decided to only have interviews for printed magazines.
    Which is very 1985 of them imho....

Yeah, their PR said that Mute haven't let them know of any times since the record came out... Alison isn't the easiest person to pin down, and her aversion to interviews is by now pretty legendary!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!