Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Fan encounters with Alison
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • I'm not really offended by the situation as I'm sure there's a plausible answer. Just think we're worth more than silence particularly as there are all these forms of social communication. UT regales his stories of written dispatches with a certain Miss Wilcox - now that takes effort!
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-29 13:27:14
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Ah, Ms Wilcox. Now there is a communicator.
    Every concert, 10 minutes afterwards out the back of the venue signing autographs. Sometimes even leaning out of windows before the gigs chatting to the fans.
    Every birthday, you got a handwritten letter (yes, written, on paper in her own fair hand) wishing you a happy birthday.
    Mrs T and a few friends got very close to her once when she was having similar problems to what we see now. She had just changed record labels and there was a lack of merchandise. We sent in some T shirt designs and offered to get batches printed up for other fans and T was really taken with them and wrote to me about arranging a meet up with her, and her manager to discuss a way forward. Sadly, the corporates failed to get their fingers out of their arses, just like now, and her music career stalled as she moved to a larger, less dynamic label (she was on the Safari label, an Independant like Mute then moved to the suck arses at CBS).
    I still have that letter safely tucked away and we still have the designs.
    The major difference was the T had a kick arse fan club manager called Kate who sorted through T's huge sack of mail that came in and made sure she got to deal with the ones that were from the real fans. You should read 'I was a Teenage Toyah Fan' which is a book by Chris Limb. I knew Chris and he was one of the original Angels & Demons, another sub sect of T's fan club like the Urban Tribesmen. He eventually ran her fan club himself for many years, that's what can happen when you are a truly committed fan.
    If you do not want the attention that living your life in the public spotlight brings, then you made a bad career move !
    Toyah Wilcox was, and still is, a real pop star in the truest sense. I just wish Alison could take a few lessons from her because, to be honest, Alison's music is more sophisticated and suits my current age better but I will always have a space in my heart for Toyah. Good times !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-29 16:15:20
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Alas I've never met Alison but I have met lovely Will twice. First time was after the 7T Royal Albert Hall show. He was so lovely to talk to and I had my picture taken with him. I have it on my car key ring so at least I can drive around with him! Told him that was my first Frapp show and he asked why I hadn't been to see them before. I said its because they never play near where I live and he chuckled.
    Second time was after an Oxford show and he signed my ticket as Big Willy!!
    Angie, Charlie, Davide and Daisy Palmer are on my Facebook page but never met them :)>-
    Lisa Gunning liked a couple of comments I put about the TOU cinema event. Made me smile bless her :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!