Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Anna Calvi
  • OK.

We've hijacked the gigs thread for most of the last 24 hours, so ill put her over here.

Myself and Hells_Bells witnessed the most exciting, brilliant, beautiful and intimate gig last night and I think Anna deserves a great deal of love! Guitar player of ultimate talent, voice so powerful my ears are still ringing, an amazing band, (& she's incredibly beautiful)

New album out 7th October, in the mean time, I'm still on 'love won't be leaving' and 'desire' from album one, and eagerly awaiting album 2.

5* review in the independent today for last nights gig, with a mention of the track 'piece by piece', which on reflection was really very awesome.

Bit love for Anna. Right here.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-04 15:49:37
  • 483 Comments sorted by
  • Totally agree Laura - she's very good indeed and I'm cursing I couldn't get a ticket for the gig but that's the way it worked out.

Did she ever properly release Wolf Like Me?

Really looking forward to her new album.
  • i hope 2nd album will be as good as debut. and lucky you to be able to see her live!
  • It's weird - she's somebody I should love based on her style and her music but something has never quite clicked for me. I have no idea why - there's nothing that feels like it's getting in the way and I always like what I hear but I never get the urge to listen much or see what she's doing?

I guess it's like any other artist - I just need to hit that one track that acts as a real route in for me and I'll be away!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • ^ have you seen her live carpy? thats what did it for me  ;;)
  • ping said:

^ have you seen her live carpy? thats what did it for me  ;;)

No, but it's a catch 22 - I'm not really a fan enough to buy tickets to see her. I'd have to catch her supporting somebody else.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • There could be a new fan ?. Me. Had a few listens. Verdict= Good.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I concur with Laura's comments. Nothing else I can add but I was blown away by her performance. The second album is going to be a blinder.
    Love to bits Eliza the current single and the video for it is fairly average to start with until a "wet" Anna appears that could totally make you wobble slightly at the knees. Go see what I mean. She really is a little gem of a talent. :-*
  • Totally agree Laura - she's very good indeed and I'm cursing I couldn't get a ticket for the gig but that's the way it worked out.

Did she ever properly release Wolf Like Me?

Really looking forward to her new album.

You have picked my most favourite of her B-sides. I don't think it was released as an official single but should have been in my opinion. Turn it up loud and let those guitars blow your ear drums ^:)^
  • I give Anna Calvi a big thumbs up, she's a talented musician and singer/song-writer, I hope I get to see her live one of these days and I aim to pick up her forthcoming new album at least :)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • You have picked my most favourite of her B-sides. I don't think it was released as an official single but should have been in my opinion. Turn it up loud and let those guitars blow your ear drums ^:)^

And then the whispery vocal. mmmm.

it's turned into one of my favourite songs, more than some of the songs that made it on to the first album.

It's even better live - or it was on the Somerset House gig last year in the rain. Really looking forward to the second, and many thanks to Laura for finding the review of the show even if it rams home what I missed! Lucky Laura.
  • I'm afraid I'm with Carpy on this one.

Even seeing her live didn't do the 'trick' for me.

Don't hate her, but just not impressed. Sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Fair enough Dreeke. She certainly wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea!

(now back off out of the appreciation thread... ;) :D )
  • Is this a lesbian phenomenon?
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!