Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales of Us: Rank the Songs (Best to Worst)
  • 78 Comments sorted by
  • 1. Clay (simply stunning, plus I haven't heard Alison sing quite like this before) 

2. Jo (gorgeous song, so mellow and again, I love Alison's layered vocals)

3. Simone (very mysterious!)

4. Annabel (love the lyrics and again, the vocals)

5. Thea (its like every Goldfrapp song combined into one!!, no idea whats it's about though!)

6. Drew (Lost bond theme? Again, simply gorgeous and those strings!!)

7. Laurel (it's like lost Felt Mountain track!!, plus reminds me of some of the Black Cherry B-sides)

8. Stranger (I love Alison's vocals on this one and the mystery of the song)

9. Ulla (I like this one a lot, but I don't play it as much, I think its the pace of the song..)

10. Alvar (unfortunately the only song on TOU I find a little flat, it takes a bit too long to start IMO, reminds me of Little Bird)

TBH there isn't much between the first 8 songs, I love them almost equally, its just Ulla that I haven't warmed to as much and Alvar that i'm not as fond of

• Snowball said:

10. Alvar (unfortunately the only song on TOU I find a little flat, it takes a bit too long to start IMO, reminds me of Little Bird)

TBH there isn't much between the first 8 songs, I love them almost equally, its just Ulla that I haven't warmed to as much and Alvar that i'm not as fond of

It's interesting to find an opinion that is the complete polar opposite of mine. I have a feeling that it will become my favourite song on the album.  It grew on me a little more each time I heard it live.  At Somerset House I was actually excited that it was included in the set list.

I am definitely not the biggest fan of Little Bird and I'm not a fan of guitar based music either but Alvar managed to cut through all my prejudices.  We obviously all have different tastes and opinions which is one of the reasons that this board is so interesting.  However, I really hope that some day you'll appreciate the crescendo and not find it boring.  I'm planning to play it on the loudest hi-fi system I can!  :))
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • I imagine that this list is going to be fairly dynamic for me given that I've only heard the album 5 times thus far.  The only easy choice for me is ranking "Clay" dead last.  At least for now. 

1. Annabel
    2. Drew
    3. Jo
    4. Alvar
    5. Thea
    6. Ulla
    7. Laurel
    8. Simone
    9. Stranger
    10. Clay
  • Clay last?! The shame and shade of it all!

hunter
  • Alvar, Jo and Ulla are least played but this is an album I rarely skip a track while listening because it is really one whole for me. I find it hard to judge the songs individually. They are like a family of people with stories that come by in their respective time and place on the album, exactly where they should be.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • i need more time.... :-/
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Of the three that I have heard I cannot place them in any order at all. Of course this may all change once I have an actual copy in my grubby mitts.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I will do it now. And see if it changes over the next few listens.
    1/ Annabel
    2/ Drew
    3/ Jo
    4/ Clay
    5/ Ulla
    6/ Laurel
    7/ Stranger
    8/ Thea
    9/ Alvar
    10/ Simone

JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • 'Clay' and 'Drew' are the only two I play out of order--at this time.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • For now -

1. Thea [10/10]
    2. Drew [10/10]
    3. Simone [10/10]
    4. Stranger [10/10]
    5. Laurel [10/10]
    6. Annabelle [10/10]
    7. Jo [9/10]
    8. Clay [9/10]
    9. Alvar [8/10]
    10. Ulla [8/10]
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • 1. Thea.
    2. Drew.
    3-10 can't do at the mo.....
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • 1. Thea
    2. Alvar
    3. Laurel
    4. Drew
    5. Annabel
    6. Clay
    7. Simone
    8. Ulla
    9. Jo
    10. Stranger
  • Stranger said:

Alvar, Jo and Ulla are least played but this is an album I rarely skip a track while listening because it is really one whole for me. I find it hard to judge the songs individually. They are like a family of people with stories that come by in their respective time and place on the album, exactly where they should be.

That seems a fair assessment to me and I certainly don't feel able to rank the songs in order at this stage, though Thea is the standout track for me, and it seems quite a few others too.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • This may change, but I'm a big fan of Alvar, I remember it sounding breathtaking in Manchester, almost completely different with live percussion... And even though I have Simone and Laurel at the end I still love them, it's just which songs I'm listening to the most (I'm still playing them A LOT)

Alvar
    Clay
    Ulla
    Annabel
    Jo
    Thea
    Drew
    Stranger
    Laurel
    Simone

It's really hard to decide as I find it as an album perfect!
  • currently it's

1. Laurel
    2. Stranger
    3. Alvar
    4. Thea
    5. Jo
    6. Clay
    7. Annabel
    8. Drew
    9. Ulla
    10. Simone

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!