Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
MOJO - Abum of the month
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • ok just out of curiosity
    HolyOwl said:

...black and white films... ...in which Alison Goldfrapp has appeared as both an axe-murder and a murder victim (Jo)...

did we know about this before? or am i just out of the loop
  • If you watch all the video backgrounds on the website & the album trailer, it makes sense that they're set to "Jo".
  • yeah, i was wondering if that's what they were referring to, since the tense it's written in implies we've already seen it. but then it also seems to imply that it's a full music video as well so i got a little confused
  • Bought and it's two pages, as mentioned.

One is the write-up which I'm yet to read and the other is a truly gorgeous full page colour mash-up of the SCOTT3 'eye' cover, tears of blood and Alison factored into the iris. It's very, very striking. Might have to get another copy to possibly frame it.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • thanks for the update, Carpy! Can we expect scans soon? :)
    Be patient.
  • I will once I've bought my second copy and cut the page out - far easier to scan!

It's a well written review, though it reads far better depending how much Scott Walker knowledge you have. MOJO assume you know some of his reference points and if you don't it may sound less positive. The magazine knows its readship and tends to have articles gauged accordingly. It's also quite quite a good article in terms of back referencing previous parts of the Goldfrapp history and not being lazy with them but using them to look forwards.

There's a lot of info re storylines for the songs dotted through so whether some may count that as spoilers is debateable. Considering what they're comparing with, and the esteem a lot of people hold that, it's a pretty strong angle and bodes very well indeed. The closing line alone is enough to get across how much the reviewer thought of TOU.

• Great article. I like their assessment of Will's role in the album, how his unique talent has been allowed to shine on TOU.

Following the Manchester show, I've pretty much been staying away from the live-clips (and the leaked files). This article makes me desperately want to hear the real-deal, final product though... not sure I can last much longer!

As Carpy says, the accompanying pic is rather fab.

I have scanned the article myself, but I'll leave sharing to Carpy... as he was the first to offer. :) (Unless anyone particularly wants to see a scan now, or Carp's is delayed... or whatever.)

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-07-30 06:32:40
  • This really sounds like a well written review!

Oooh, tough decision. Guess I can wait a little longer, though. Honour to whom honour is due. ;p
    Such a shame, now that I'm not in the UK any longer, all the magazines with Frapp related stuff start to appear... :(
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-07-30 06:38:23
    Be patient.
  • Great article. I like their assessment of Will's role in the album, how his unique talent has been allowed to shine on TOU.

Yeah, any reviewer that can mention his "Piccard In Space" work and show that it's not just a throwaway reference gets a thumbs up from me. It also shows he's not just a fan as he's at pains to point out what Will may have had a bad result with and how the knock-on effects of it may have fed into TOU.

I'll go through it again over a brew at lunchtime but very happy with this one - nice to have something you can genuinelly read.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-30 07:29:12
  • Can't wait to see the pics and read the article :) Thank you both!
  • It is good, but don't be expecting a huge review. It's about 9 paragraphs.

Should I post my scan/link, Carpy - or will you do the honours?

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-07-30 08:29:21
  • I honestly don't mind either way, HJ.

Are we giving people chance to buy the mag first or do we think that anybody that was going to buy it will buy it anyway regardless? That's probably the case, I'd wager.

It might even sell more copies if people want to get the picture to frame etc!
  • I haven't scanned the piccie. They can buy the mag to get that, LOL!

I'll post a link to mine - I re-arranged it into 1 column so it's more readable on a PC screen. So the picture is very high/big (3.4MB) and may take a while to load.

Oh, and thanks, holyowl, for highlighting this.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-07-30 10:29:27
  • Four still means most hardcore frappers will be giving it 5 ;)

You mean, 12 is not available?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!