Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • One of my favourite accidental hobbies is looking at architecture , or rather the craftsmanship or ingenuity or wonderful design that has gone into something . Its accidental in that I don`t go out of my to look at it , but when I come across it I`ll take a photo and feel a warmth of love when I look over my photos . This is the old alleyway between a furniture shop and a church which has been transformed into a sandwich/coffee house . I love it , took my mrs to lunch there on this occasion   .

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • 58 Comments sorted by
  • The roof of The Sage in Gateshead does it for me.

Having panels at so many angles means that as the sky changes, it changes - quite dramatically so at times.

All pics taken by me and jammed together!
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-06-16 10:25:22
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Similar but my hoizons are a bit wider.  I love innovation of any kind.  Have you seen that new can opener that doesn't leave sharp edges on the can or top and you can use the top as a lid?  I know.  It sounds dumb but, really, that's truly awesome thinking!  The paradigms that had to be completely overturned to invent that, after, what? a century?, are just staggering.

That is an awesome room you've pictured.
  • Similar but my hoizons are a bit wider.  I love innovation of any kind.  Have you seen that new can opener that doesn't leave sharp edges on the can or top and you can use the top as a lid?  I know.  It sounds dumb but, really, that's truly awesome thinking!  The paradigms that had to be completely overturned to invent that, after, what? a century?, are just staggering.

I love stuff like that as well , I worked in engineering for 25 years so it kind of sticks . I was just keeping things separate on here , possibly a bit of my OCD creeping in haha . I do sadly marvel at even the rounded edges on the bottom of cans so you could stack cans without a slide-a-rama experience in your cupboard..and wonder why it took so long .

"Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

Similar but my hoizons are a bit wider.  I love innovation of any kind.  Have you seen that new can opener that doesn't leave sharp edges on the can or top and you can use the top as a lid?  I know.  It sounds dumb but, really, that's truly awesome thinking!  The paradigms that had to be completely overturned to invent that, after, what? a century?, are just staggering.

I love stuff like that as well , I worked in engineering for 25 years so it kind of sticks . I was just keeping things separate on here , possibly a bit of my OCD creeping in haha . I do sadly marvel at even the rounded edges on the bottom of cans so you could stack cans without a slide-a-rama experience in your cupboard..and wonder why it took so long .

Should've figured.  I am and ex-electronics enginner.  Just beginning to get over my OCD-ness lately.  Haha!  Yah, those cans are brillant.  I'm sure you've heard the story of velcro, right?  From burrs?  I hope I didn't disrupt your thread too much.
  • This is the most beautiful motorbike I`ve ever seen (to me anyway) , I used to dream of owning one when I was a kid , Bimota Tesi , it probably handled like a pig on rollerskates but it looks gorgeous 

• That's sweet.  Remiinds me of a unique Harley I saw somewhere in Germany ages ago.
  • C u r r e n t l y   r e a d i n g   t h i s,   i n t e r e s t i n g   and very easy to read.

• Interesting thread, a nice topic. Personally I've got a bit of a thing for Soviet design, it was so whacky if I can say it, people often think of the Soviet Union as being way behind the West, yet they put a 'man' into space first. Not wanting to digress too much I'll start with a pic of a TV shop from the early 80's, stagnation had set in by then, as this looks more like a Western TV store from the early 70's I would have thought. I'm not sure the exact date actually, could easily be any time from the mid 70's to early 80's I guess, no VCR's on sale that's for sure, yeah I know what's a VCR ;)
    photo sovietTVs_zpsaeab5798.jpg
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-14 13:27:29
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • ooh its Swansea last February 
  • "When the Museum of Modern Art's senior curator of architecture and
    design announced the acquisition of 14 video games in 2012, "all hell
    broke loose." In this far-ranging, entertaining, and deeply insightful
    talk, Paola Antonelli explains why she's delighted to challenge
    preconceived ideas about art and galleries, and describes her burning
    wish to help establish a broader understanding of design."

• Sartori said:

ooh its Swansea last February 

LOL ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • softlad said:

"When the Museum of Modern Art's senior curator of architecture and
    design announced the acquisition of 14 video games in 2012, "all hell
    broke loose." In this far-ranging, entertaining, and deeply insightful
    talk, Paola Antonelli explains why she's delighted to challenge
    preconceived ideas about art and galleries, and describes her burning
    wish to help establish a broader understanding of design."

Excellent. People don't understand how much design is a part of everyday life and just assume it's "buildings and stuff...."

People don't notice good design as much as bad but that's the biggest compliment they can pay.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • A London one for you, best in the architecture and design. These are known as (Boris Johnson) vanity buses. I don't use the route so have yet to travel on one, has anyone else?

photo borisbus_zps67f5aa04.jpg
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Here are a few of my London pics. Westminster has a real variety of architecture...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!