Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What's Your Favourite Goldfrapp Album - At The Mo?.
  • 107 Comments sorted by
  • Today I feel very Supernatural. Need to dance.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Tales of Us

Seriously
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • At some point or another, every one of their albums has been my favourite:

FM - contains arguably their best recordings in lovely head & utopia, that I don't think will be surpassed. Ever.

BC - to me, this contains their most 'technical' work, production wise, lots going on but it's not overwhelming. I love the mix of the lush mid-tempo songs to the really harsh, electro-clash stompers.

SN - contains their most 'accessible' songs, it's when I became aware of goldfrapp and made me a fan, so it was my initial favourite. It's also a varied album, without it being as polar as BC, it's very balanced and is perhaps their most 'pleasant' album to listen to, it's not heavy like some of the others.

ST - contains their most honest songs and was a real 'relief' after SN and it came at the right time for me and I developed a connection with that album, I have a feeling that TOU will also have the same effect on me and I love what I have heard of the songs already.

HF - this may be surprising to some, but it's probably my most played GF album and it's become a favourite by default. Saying that it's the album that I am getting slightly 'tired' by, but I have been playing it for 3 years non-stop!

So, in reflection they have all been my favourite at some point and whilst I do love HF, I reckon in retrospect it will be the one that does not stand the test of time, I probably wouldn't have liked the album as much if hunt wasnt on there, to me it's the centrepiece of the album :) I reckon TOU will be my favourite when it's out
  • I think for me it'll be Black Cherry.
    It still refers to the magic and wonders of FM but also contains some of the big stompers already. 
    So there is something for feeling like party as well as feeling like relaxing and being dazed.

Although Satin Chic introduced me to them (therefore I've been listening to SN quite a lot at that time) 
    Black Cherry sums up their strengths and qualities best. 

Actually, I would say it's the perfect starter kit (if you like) to introduce them to others. In case they rather enjoy the party stuff of it you can introduce them to SN, if they prefer the quieter songs then they are ready for FM and 7T.

Then again, just my two cents...
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-07-23 17:39:53
    Be patient.
  • I feel very Tales of Usish today.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Seventh Tree .. but i think 'Takes of Us' will top that.
    Post edited by react010 at 2013-07-24 23:39:43
  • HolyOwl said:

I think for me it'll be Black Cherry.

It still refers to the magic and wonders of FM but also contains some of the big stompers already. 
    So there is something for feeling like party as well as feeling like relaxing and being dazed.

yes, i agree, but might i add that BC is the love album, and i mean that in the most sensual, sexual sense of the word.. the sounds lend a very mechanical, robotic mood yet theres something very human still, esp in lyrics and alison's delivery..

Actually, I would say it's the perfect starter kit (if you like) to introduce them to others. In case they rather enjoy the party stuff of it you can introduce them to SN, if they prefer the quieter songs then they are ready for FM and 7T.

so you would recommend BC over the singles?

Snowball said:

At some point or another, every one of their albums has been my favourite:

FM - contains arguably their best recordings in lovely head & utopia, that I don't think will be surpassed. Ever.

from start to fnish its definitely FM..

BC - to me, this contains their most 'technical' work, production wise, lots going on but it's not overwhelming. I love the mix of the lush mid-tempo songs to the really harsh, electro-clash stompers.

yes.. its a reason why tiptoe is a fav.. something about the builds in that one..

SN - contains their most 'accessible' songs, it's when I became aware of goldfrapp and made me a fan, so it was my initial favourite. It's also a varied album, without it being as polar as BC, it's very balanced and is perhaps their most 'pleasant' album to listen to, it's not heavy like some of the others.

i know this is just me but gimme HF over SN, anyday.. aside from koko, let it take u and RAWH (depending on my mood), SN still does nothing for me.

ST - contains their most honest songs and was a real 'relief' after SN and it came at the right time for me and I developed a connection with that album, I have a feeling that TOU will also have the same effect on me and I love what I have heard of the songs already.

indeed there us something special about ST... i think A&W perfected their aesthetic (music + art + presentation) up until this point, but it looks like theyre gonna outdo themselves with tou!

HF - this may be surprising to some, but it's probably my most played GF album and it's become a favourite by default. Saying that it's the album that I am getting slightly 'tired' by, but I have been playing it for 3 years non-stop!

pieces of HF have grown gracefully on me and i can personally connect with this album moreso than the others, but well see what happens with tou!

So, in reflection they have all been my favourite at some point and whilst I do love HF, I reckon in retrospect it will be the one that does not stand the test of time, I probably wouldn't have liked the album as much if hunt wasnt on there, to me it's the centrepiece of the album :) I reckon TOU will be my favourite when it's out hunt is slinky, sexy and has that perfect 80s mist ambience.. i feel they are in a way referencing that, esp either the trailer... and yes, tou just might be my fav too.

Post edited by error60091 at 2013-07-25 00:34:01
  • so you would recommend BC over the singles?

Umm good question, haven't thought about that...
    Be patient.
  • Don't know if it's just me but....

i have a little issue with the singles album, Strict machine & Train just don't sound like they do on Black Cherry, also i'm sure there shorter.... have a listen & see what you think? all the others sound o.k's......

Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Aren't they single versions of the song, meaning 2-3 seconds shorter?
  • no i'm pretty sure strict machine is a good minute shorter...
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Can't be.
  • hmmm i hope my disc is'nt damaged i'll have to double-check...
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Today I'll be playing Supernature in its entirety. I've missed that album.
  • Love Supernature fav album, very very very close 2nd is Black Cherry at the mo of course!!!!!
    Love Goldfrapp.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!