Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • chokka said:

Interestingly around that time... Alison co wrod backing vox for a Scissors b side called sex Exciter....

Exactly - I'm sure that played a part in the head (first) space that A&W were in musically. Probably not consciously but there's no denying that if any other band's sound is in the DNA of some of those HF tracks it was Scissor Sisters. If you listen to the album with that in mind the difference between the two styles of track really do stand quite clear.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Before I turn into tonight, Head First was the last track I listened to, it's featured on this double CD compilation I  recently acquired, Pincode from Radio Pin, a Polish radio station. I don't know who it is that does that Goldfrapp Mania website but it seems a pretty obscure compilation that could do with a mention. The funny thing is when I got the CD I didn't realise immediately it has a Goldfrapp song on it.

Anyway good night all
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Niteee
  • For me, side two is much more inconsistent. Ignoring Rocket, the next four tracks are among my favorites. Everything after is lesser by comparison, at least for me.

It's ironic to note that they were rushed into it and perhaps pushed to have a more commercial sound, but the lack of originality and conviction of Rocket totally killed the campaign and led to their lowest sales since Felt Mountain...
  • I love the lyrical sentiment of Rocket. I remember playing it round someone's house and they thought they were listening to that Van Halen song, oh dear ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • i like rocket
  • I'm sure there is good reason for her distaste of HF...she did something she wasn't proud of. What was it that she did? Well...I suppose we can only guess..I think Hunt was my fave off of that one.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2013-06-14 04:31:04
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I think she said something about it being too "on the nose"? Which i'd agree with, HF isn't a bad album it's just really underdeveloped, which isn't surprising given then were scoring Nowhere Boy and working with Scissor Sisters and Christina Aguilera at the time. It was around the whole Mute buyback from EMI fiasco that left Frapp tied to EMI, so they were probably rushed and told this is when you're albums coming out, ready or not, and it wasn't ready.
  • In all honesty, I don't think Ali is all serious about disliking Head First. She was really shaking it while performing Rocket. Oh my! Getting all giddy.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • chokka said:

if We Radiate was on there it would have improved it

so true, i think thats still my alarm clock now. 

I was never keen on the Sex exciter song, but how did I miss alisons vocals on it? *slaps self*.
  • Not to offend anyone, but the Scissor Sisters' lead singer's voice (what's his face) is so cheesy, it ruined the song for me. I mean, it was fine the first 50 listens, but then it got too cheesy and annoying. Even Ali's howls couldn't remedy it for me.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alan said:

In all honesty, I don't think Ali is all serious about disliking Head First. She was really shaking it while performing Rocket. Oh my! Getting all giddy.

Ha! Yeah I remember her saying those tracks were a lot of fun to do live. And the gigs I went to for HF she looked really happy!

• ping said:

Alan said:

In all honesty, I don't think Ali is all serious about disliking Head First. She was really shaking it while performing Rocket. Oh my! Getting all giddy.

Ha! Yeah I remember her saying those tracks were a lot of fun to do live. And the gigs I went to for HF she looked really happy!

If not the interviews, media, I'd have thought HF was a very successful era. It definitely was a breath of fresh air after all the 7T acoustickiness. I just coined a new word. haha
  • That's the key thing about Head First... It's fun!!!
  • Exactly. Can't stay gloomy 3 years in a row.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!