Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales Of Us - 6th album - 09/09/2013
  • 1197 Comments sorted by
  • Ponygurl said:

I'll tell you what I'm reminded of...Virginia Woolf's "The Waves". I haven't read it in ages..but there are 6 character monologues...each represented by a single name. Hmmm, "Tales of Us" with a name for each track reminds me of the same concept...except musically.

I thought about this initially as well, having just read it. It's an interesting idea, i'm not going to discount it, but there are also some differences. There are ten tracks on the album, ten distinct characters so to speak and also tone, the album so far, seems darker, more of a mystery.

The tracklist also reminded me of Cocteau Twins 'Treasure'; album, i think SubRussian (Andy) was the first to mention it. He's certainly right on the money in the sense that all the tracks are about different people.

They took their time with this album and it seems like they enjoyed making it and are really excited about getting it out. I cannot wait to hear it. It really might be their best yet!

LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Ryanoc91 said:

I think I'll avoid the footage though until at least the album is released. I really like the idea of listening to a completed album filled with songs you haven't heard before, and knowing it's exactly as the artist intended.

I agree. I watched part of the clip once and immediately wiped any sounds from my memory. Like you, I'd prefer to hear it in its entirety when the time comes. However, I'd waver if I had the chance to see one of the July shows.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Sartori said:

Not really keen on the idea of a "Concept Album" , it`ll end in tears and involve Phil Collins 

Look on the bright side - you might get a fantastic album AND Phil Collins in tears!

I suppose (like all things) , its in the execution of it . If its in the style of musical meanderings tying the elements together I might barf at it , but an element of lyrical connectedness would sit well with me - the teaser points to the latter .
    I don`t know if I`m the only one here , but tracknames don`t mean that much to me anymore ,as a kid I`d read and reread album covers and liners , now its cds in the car and mp3 players - I struggle somewhat to remember their names...or maybe its just me getting older haha
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I dunno if this has been mentioned but the trailers on Mute's Vimeo account with the original file available for download, a nice big 433mb 1080p file for those that like the best quality video with uncompressed PCM audio! :p -

There's also some stuff from the creators of the website showcasing their work

The description on the second video is nice

"Goldfrapp is Grammy Award nominated English electronic music duo who
    have explored their visual identity as much as they have musical genres
    in their last 6 albums. In fact Alison Goldfrapp has said that "music is
    a visual experience" and therefore visualises her lyrics before writing
    them. So it's been an pleasure to have worked with the band on their
    new site. It can be argued that band sites have lost their relevance
    more than sites in other sectors due to advent of social media and
    services, and you can see this in the many terribly designed and
    maintained sites out there for image conscious stars. With these things
    in mind we designed a site that is uncluttered, consistent and immersive
    and which centre-stages specially commissioned films directed by Lisa
    Gunning, all while still keeping social channels at the fore. (Little
    note, this represents phase 1 of the launch. We really cannot wait to
    show you phase 2.)"
    Post edited by rewak at 2013-06-14 04:55:02
  • I'm so loving what I hear in that trailer, I am loathe to make comparisons, but the acousticy bits remind me just a tiny bit of  some of All About Eve's song, and elsewhere Kate Bush comes to mind, but as I say I am loathe to make comparisons, because over all there is that Goldfrapp uniqueness to it, more than promising...
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Someone posted on Popjustice forum this:

My friend heard the record and loved it:

-"super dark and moody"

-"Thea is a bit more uptempo but the album as a whole is very dark"

-Said it's most similar to Felt Mountain but "not as weird and sounds less like a film soundtrack"

-"a lot like Yellow Halo but darker"

-Also mentioned White Soft Rope as another similar song

So, basically if you like Felt Mountain, Yellow Halo, and White Soft
    Rope, you're bound to love this album. He only heard it once, but liking
    it on first listen is a good sign.
    Post edited by jenkins25 at 2013-06-14 13:00:24
  • jenkins25 said:

Someone posted on Popjustice forum this:
    [quote]My friend heard the record and loved it:

-"super dark and moody"

-Said it's most similar to Felt Mountain but "not as weird and sounds less like a film soundtrack"

[/quote]

Hope it leaks tomorrow.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • im gonna have to get the bog standard album if i wanna see them live and these box set things gather dust anyway once the novelty has warn off. still looking forward to it.
  • Oh PopJustice, don't ever change.
  • Same here, Rach. I'll try to look for it on eBay or something + free shipping. Rent is due soon anyway. Gotta be rational.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • rewak said:

Oh PopJustice, don't ever change.

:) amen.

Well ToU sounds right up my street then.... Another hike up Felt Mountain is just what I need...
  • jenkins25 said:

Someone posted on Popjustice forum this:

My friend heard the record and loved it:

-"super dark and moody"

White Soft Rope??? :-O That's one of my ultimate favourite Goldfrapp songs! mmmmmm can't wait!
  • folklore said:

White Soft Rope??? :-O That's one of my ultimate favourite Goldfrapp songs! mmmmmm can't wait!

This, very much so.

I was sold on TOU already but that's one heck of a thing if true.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • It's the PopJustice forum and it starts with "my friend heard", do I need to point out this equals bullshit? Did no one learn from the Rocket BS that went on?
  • Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-14 14:36:46

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!