Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
TOU Press Reviews
  • 159 Comments sorted by
  • {{{you}}}
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I look forward to Pitchfork's reviews just about as much as I would look forward to diarrhoea.

• It's not a long review by any means at all - just a tweet, in fact - but when it's by TheQuietus who I value for their judgement in many musical avenues I've very happy to pass it on:-

theQuietus ‏@theQuietus (3h): The new Goldfrapp LP Tales Of Us is rather lovely. Perfect, perfect autumn music. Reminds of Talk Talk & Patrick Wolf's Wind In The Wires.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-08-30 07:38:18
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • As a 140 word review I rather like that , I like "reminds me of"s as comparators (as opposed to them being used as knife-in-the-back targets) without pretentious overtones (..ahem Q) . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

As a 140 word review I rather like that , I like "reminds me of"s as comparators (as opposed to them being used as knife-in-the-back targets) without pretentious overtones (..ahem Q) . 

Yeah, and also relating it to a seasonal mood too - that actually conveys quite a lot in a short few words.
  • MIMO - 4/5 stars
  • MIMO - 4/5 stars

"But as with the shoegazey guitars on the ominous opener “Jo”"

No. No they didn't. An actual review didn't just mix up Jo with Alvar. Really.
    Post edited by Low at 2013-08-30 11:15:13

• can't be bothed with reviews. know it's going to be great = simple.
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Review of Drew by David Stubbs in today's Guardian:

"Now long past their Alvin Stardust imitation phase, Goldfrapp benefit from an extended palette, refering instead to Nick Drake and Paul Simon. Over undulations of acoustic guitar and swelling strings, Alison's silvery, luxuriant vocals gradually blossom from intimate, breathy vocals in the shell-like to a full blown delivery against a backdrop reminiscent of The Boxer. Eerily synthetic, and all the more expressive for that."

• Under The Radar Aug 30, 2013
    ★☆

" (...) It's a haunting song cycle, one that
    might not necessarily appeal to their fanbase as a whole. But give it
    another listen; for all its subtlety, this is a role that Goldfrapp was
    born to play (...)"
    [Aug-Sep 2013, p.90]

Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-08-31 17:21:47
    Be patient.
  • This one uses curse words, like "Café Del Mar"

http://www.nme.com/reviews/goldfrapp/14745
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Pfft... Not wanting to sound like a fanboy, but that 'review' is just silly.
    Probably never ever heard a Scott Walker album in her life....

Anyhew NME...
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-09-02 12:04:43
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Why do people bother writing such short evaulations of music and try and pass it off as a review? You can just about make their opinion out from it, and it really doesn't go into much depth at all. It's so pointless; if they're going to do it, do it right?

• Latest issue of freebie mag NARC:-

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!