Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
TOU Press Reviews
  • 159 Comments sorted by
  • Go on, Pitchfork ! >:/
  • I do like reading reviews, sometimes they might use an adjective, a turn of phrase, a single word or a note about another artist that makes me listen to something and hear it in a different way. Apart from Q magazine, a literary wank sock.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I'd prefer we wrote our own reviews to be honest, I'd expect 100% objectivity and no Rudolph the Brown Nosed Reindeer shenanigans.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

I do like reading reviews, sometimes they might use an adjective, a turn of phrase, a single word or a note about another artist that makes me listen to something and hear it in a different way. Apart from Q magazine, a literary wank sock.

This is a far more eloquently executed version of my comment earlier...thank you Sartori :)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I guess this pretty much nails it:

"It’s also an album in which the sum is greater than its parts, meaning it works better when listened to as a whole, as if it were a film (...). Taken individually, there are only a few standout tracks here. Collectively, they’re nearly all standouts." 7.6

Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-09-09 08:17:46
    Be patient.
  • Yeah, there's definitely a certain momentum that builds up over the album as a whole.

Slap it on and let it loop round a few times on repeat and it really goes up a level.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Oh, i couldn't agree more about the "sum" viewpoint. How very different from Head First.
  • I don't think the point of reviewing the reviews has to do with whether anyone on here will like the music.  It has to do alot, though, with how successful our (mine, anyways) favorite band will be with their current release.  That is important to me because, as with a friend, I always wish them the very best.  And, of course, there is the selfish side, in that I would like to see them do more releases.  It's looking awfully good.  It certainly doesn't mean it will catch fire and become the next viral music but it should do comfortably well, it would seem.  I really appreciated Joey's summation.
  • A typically well thought out one from The Quietus:

http://thequietus.com/articles/13298-goldfrapp-tales-of-us-album-review
  • Slant Magazine. It reads like it should have gotten a higher score than it did. The only "negative" mentioned here is the album's "tonal consistency." A different reviewer, but the fact that the album got a lower score than Head First bothers me. :P

3.5/5 Stars

I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Well Pitchfork review is up now, and while I'm somewhat disappointed, I'm not surprised at all. Pitchfork is such an elitist pretentious site really. It is sad to think that it is actually better than NME and/or Q (in my humble opinion). While I don't like Pitchfork (generally speaking), at least least I don't consider them worthless (Q) and nonesense/laughable (NME).

http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18474-goldfrapp-tales-of-us/
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • I totally get some aspects of the review. However, it sounds more like a 7.5 than 6.1
    What does 0.1 mean anyway...
    Be patient.
  • HolyOwl said:

I totally get some aspects of the review. However, it sounds more like a 7.5 than 6.1
    What does 0.1 mean anyway...

I agree completely. It really amazes me how some reviewers' text and ratings don't match up. At least the Pitchfork review is reasonable, unlike the NME one.
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Archway said:

It really amazes me how some reviewers' text and ratings don't match up.

Any well written review worth the time to read it should never need a 'score' shoe-horned onto the bottom. If the positive and negative points are expressed well enough the reader can gauge for themselves where the reviewer sits on the album. If it needs the score to clarify then the writer hasn't done their job properly.

That's not for this review because its Goldfrapp but for any short review, period.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!