Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tree.... best to worst
  • 90 Comments sorted by

• Fair enough and glad we can all be different and yet comfortable with it. I am curious though if it's too sweet for you, is Grindcore or Death Metal your usual musical preference or something? ;)

My taste in music is quite wide really (opera, classical, indie, folk, dance, electronica, avant-garde, alt-country etc.), but I'm not fond of metal and its many subgenres. I love upbeat stuff and can listen to happy stuff, even sweet, but some things are just too sweet for my liking. 
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Archway said:

My taste in music is quite wide really (opera, classical, indie, folk, dance, electronica, avant-garde, alt-country etc.), but I'm not fond of metal and its many subgenres. I love upbeat stuff and can listen to happy stuff, even sweet, but some things are just too sweet for my liking. 

Yeah I am of eclectic music tastes, I do like some metal if in the right mood, never usually last more than an album's worth these days though. It's important to keep an open mind about music, as most things in life I guess.

Does your name pay homage to a certain part of North London by the way?
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline

• Does your name pay homage to a certain part of North London by the way?

Yes and no. It's a reference to a Saint Etienne b-side called Archway People. I think (though I might be misremembering) that the song was a reference to Archway.

I have tried with metal really, but just can't get into it.
  • Fair enough Archway, curious as I know the area.

I will always have a small place for SOME metal but totally get why it's not everyone's cup of tea. I guess Seventh Tree would appeal to fans of rock, and perhaps some metal heads as it has a 70's rock feel to it in places.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • 1. Clowns, Eat Yourself, Cologne Cerrone Houdini
    1.5 Happiness
    2. Road to Somewhere
    5. A&E
    100. Monster Love (don't like the lyric, "pavement smell just after rain"...blah)
    999. Little Bird, Some People
    X. Caravan Girl (bleugh, really something THAT conventional is ever needed????)
    Post edited by LolliCruz at 2013-08-27 05:28:12
  • This is soo difficult. 7T is the best album ever - still growing on me.
    Each track is wonderful in itself and yet so distinct. There is so much variety with different voices (I worry that TOU might be too even)

1. Eat Yourself 10/10
    2. Little Bird 10/10
    3. CCH 10/10
    4. Clowns 10/10
    5. Road to Somewhere  10/10
    6. Monster Love 10/10
    7. Caravan Girl 10/10
    8. Some People 10/10
    9. A&E 9/10
    10. Happiness 8/10

• LolliCruz said:

X. Caravan Girl (bleugh, really something THAT conventional is ever needed????)

agreed it's really a horrible encounter.....
  • Hating on Caravan Girl is like punching a dog in the face.

• Being new to a Goldfrapp community, I am amazed at just how much people dislike/hate Caravan Girl. I struggle to understand what it is about the song that causes such a reaction in people. I like the melody, instrumentation, arrangement and delivery, so it is really hard to work out what is so horrible about it.

But each to their own, as the saying goes.

I have reserved my dislike/hate for Happiness. There is very little I like about this song. It has almost no redeeming features at all.
  • ^ flip the song titles and you'll get my opinion. kinda.

i think seventh tree is the least consisent album for me. i find myself skipping literally half the songs most of the time. it's split into two: the amazing half (cologne cerrone houdini, little bird, happiness, a&e, clowns), and the nice-but-boring half (eat yourself, caravan girl, monster love, road to somewhere, some people). the nice-but-boring half is basically just bland adult contemporary and i found it all rather disappointing. this was the first time i found myself really wondering if alison and will had lost "it" and head first did nothing to dissuade my worries.

i have actually liked each goldfrapp album less than the previous one, so i've been worried about whether TOU will continue that trend. however i'm still cautiously optimistic for it
  • Best to worst (this is really hard!)

Happiness
    Eat Yourself
    Caravan Girl
    A&E
    Road to Somewhere
    Little Bird
    Some People
    Clowns
    Monster Love
    Cologne Cerrone Houdini
  • May as well put in my two cents, considering this is my fave album from the 'Frapp and I'm currently replaying all their albums in light of TOU's release. :)
    1. Little Bird - Stunning, narcotic beauty. I love how simple the opening melody is and it just descends into psychedelic bliss.
    2. A & E - One of their best "up" songs I think. The chorus pretty much puts this song into orbit; it's dazzlingly lush and just so well composed.
    3. Clowns - Feels like drugs, wonderful relaxing drugs.
    4. Happiness - Why does this get so much hate? It's hardly a sweet song... in my opinion it's one of the darkest songs they've ever written, considering the lyrics sound so occultist. Still, they work in the songs favour, and it feels mischievous and awesome.
    5. Caravan Girl -  Wonderful track, it just makes me want to hug someone. So happy and joyous. 
    6. Monster Love - Brings the album full circle, as it feels like the first two tracks combined. Pretty much the perfect end to the album, as it has that kind of "outro" feel to it, and it's really pretty to boot.
    7. Eat Yourself - The bleakest cut on the album, probably, the lyrics are just.... disturbing. Interesting to listen to, and the second half is hugely satisfying.
    8. Some People - Like how plaintive the beginning is, love how triumphant the chorus sounds.
    9. Cologne Cerrone Houdini - Blissful, and glamorous, and so sensual. Feels like folk sex music. :p
    10. Road To Somewhere - A wee bit ordinary compared to the rest of the album, but a nice come down off Happiness's creepy-happy mood. I think the production could have used some work yo make it stand out more, but this is still a solid song.

Overall, there's no song I don't like and only one I don't love. I think it's their best album along with Felt, though TOU has given it some competition.
  • 01 Eat Yourself 10/10 - One of my all time favourites. It takes me places I can't describe every time..
    02 Clowns 10/10 - No need to explain how gorgeous this is, you all should know!
    03 Some People 10/10 - This gets a lot of flack and I can't understand why, lyrically and musically beautiful
    04 Cologne Cerrone Houdini - 10/10 I love the strings in this, psychedelic summer sunshine 
    05 Little Bird 10/10 - Paganism, Lennon inspired, the build up..I love the extended version a little more however
    06 A&E 9/10
    07 Caravan Girl 9/10
    08 Monster Love 9/10
    09 Road To Somewhere 8/10
    10 Happiness 6/10
    Post edited by MonsterLove at 2013-09-23 08:41:51
  • I'm sooo into Seventh Tree again...what a heartbreak album. It's just beautiful, sad, soft...uggghhh, so much depth..I just fucking love her (as we all do on here). I'm listening to 'Eat Yourself' and I just feel that the depth of pain is the shadow side of love..it's a reflection of how deeply you loved someone- and it never seems to quite go away. I think this song is about the facets of a person...and focusing on the flaw. Like a diamond, seeing the imperfection instead of seeing the radiance and dance of light the diamond truly is. The flaw is not looking at the whole personality, but choosing to reflect an aspect which is not a true representation of the whole person..the diamond. Just in a deep, reflective mood today....
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!