Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 622 Comments sorted by
  • I am a bit envious  Laura, I like Anna Calvi, hope to get to see her one day. I hope to pick up the new album, 'The Devil' is my favorite track by Anna Calvi, did she play that tonight?
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • ^ she did indeed play 'the devil'. With the beautiful back drop of clouds and coastline lit all in red... It sounded awesome. Her drummer, Dan, makes the live shows as much as her guitar playing does. He is incredible, particularly on those older tracks.
    If you ever get a chance, it is quite an experience!!
  • ^
    Let's hope I get the chance one day. I really liked the debut album, she has a great voice, as you say her guitar playing is really impressive too. I understand the new album is a bit different to the debut, I didn't think it sounded a million miles away from some of the sounds of Tales of Us from the preview I caught or maybe I am getting confused eh ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Haha. Well, she does like to tell a story! In akk her songs actually.. But I would say the new stuff sounds more.... Urgent.... Than her first album (and it's certainly way louder than anything on TOU!!) her vocals play even more of a part in these new tracks - it showed when they were alternating with the old ones. She's louder, if that's possible, less reliance on the intricacies of the stuff Mali does (percussion, harmonium etc)
    But I've only heard it once now, so owning it will be interesting, and I may think differently!
  • Yeah I am sure I heard something more orchestral in the preview, but could easily be mistaken. MORE urgent eh, wow I found a lot of her songs really urgent sounding on the first album so that sounds interesting for sure. It's out next month I think isn't it? I must try and get to see her live, having watched a few clips on youtube she can certainly pull it off, she is indeed a real talent! cheers and glad you had a good night with Anna.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Thank you! I suspect she will do many more shows over the next year - as this was literally the first outing, and it's out October 7th... She will be out and about playing a lot I imagine.

I know.... The 'urgency' thing.... It really did seem to step up even another gear on these ones. But perhaps just more her and less harmonium and percussion? Hard to explain.
    Either way... It was AWESOME. And I love her. In many, many, many ways ;)
  • She is cool, I have a mate up north who saw her in a church in Manchester would you believe, and they actually introduced me to her ;) you know how it is sometimes, they reckoned I might like her because the vocals reminded them of Siouxsie, I can see it a tiny bit, and she has apparently stated Siouxsie as an influence, but she is totally in a world of her own. I like the fact she plays guitar well and is a great singer, that's quite a challenge by most musicians standards, it's usually sing or play guitar, hard for many to pull off both well, which she really seems to.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • She sure does. A voice of that much power, while faultlessly and brilliantly playing guitar is rare I'd say.

(and she is so hot) .... SORRY. I HAD TO SAY IT.

What was she like? She seems like she would be so cool and down to earth, the way she talks on stage..
  • It's 1.20AM and just got back from Anna Calvi in London so will keep the Ms Calvi Appreciation Thread brief as got to be up in a few hours.
    She was absolutely fantastic and what a guitar player she is. Such a big sound can come out of such a little person, boy is she tiiiiiny @Laura??
    The previous album is still fab to hear live but this second album is going to be just as good if not better. Could get more airplay?? Great backing band.
    Venue was quaint but very well behaved audience. Too much in awe I guess to be lairy. Eyes on stalks most of the time.
    Great to see lovely Laura and sorry if I gabbled a bit but I get nervous with people. Hope to see you in Hammersmith :-* Oh, you did also look like a kid in a sweet shop looking at the good lady on stage 8->
  • You have done a good job convincing me about the talents of Anna Calvi. So much so i will see for myself later on Youtube.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • ^
    May I suggest her current single Eliza. Bloody marvellous song and good video.
    Also, Desire, Blackout and Suzanne and I from first album. Enjoy ;)
  • Teeny weeny pocket sized Anna... *sigh*

Still so happy about last night. What a special occasion.
    I got hooked on the 'love won't be leaving' live videos for ages. To see her play that full on guitar solo, when she's in her own world, that close was unforgettable.

Sorry guys for hijacking, Hells we should have started an Anna Calvi thread do you think?!
  • I think you should if I can say it, there's sure to be other contributors :)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Laura said:

Teeny weeny pocket sized Anna... *sigh*

Still so happy about last night. What a special occasion.
    I got hooked on the 'love won't be leaving' live videos for ages. To see her play that full on guitar solo, when she's in her own world, that close was unforgettable.

Sorry guys for hijacking, Hells we should have started an Anna Calvi thread do you think?!

I think there was one on the "old thread". I think it only had about three contributors to be honest, us two and Ping?? Maybe there was someone else but perhaps they said "God, she's shit!" so never returned to said thread /:)
  • Yeah i can sort of see why you are such big fans. Start a thread.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!