Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Songs that would be fitting for Goldfrapp to cover/re-interpret?
  • I'm sure most of you remember Goldfrapp doing the U.K Girls cover back in the Felt Mountain days, and more recently around Seventh Tree they did a cover of "It's Not Over yet" which was eerily beautiful. 

As much as I ADORE and cannot live without their own material, sometimes it's nice to hear their reinterpretation of another song (even their version of Winter Wonderland was majestic, I play it every Christmas!). So what do you guys think? What songs do you think would be appropriate for Alison and Will to cover? Perhaps they'll read this and one will end up on the Deluxe Box bonus disc? Imagine the possibilities! ;)

If possible include links so we can take a listen!

My choices would be:

Doing The Best I Can - Stevie Nicks

Home - Sheryl Crow

Amanda Marshall - Beautiful Goodbye

Post edited by Slippage at 2013-06-12 10:49:25
  • 85 Comments sorted by
  • I knew I had read somewhere Alison chosing Black Sabbath- War Pigs as a great song, this is the only reference I could find. I could live with that, it's a most un-goldfrapp song, but would sure love to hear it re-interpreted. I note that T-Rex Ride a White Swan is on that list, could be interesting, even if it sounds like a Goldfrapp song already.

Nice tune btw Ryan
    :o3

Oh while we are at it I would love to hear Alison singing Heaven 17 we
    don't need this fascist groove thing, I think her voice would suit the
    song well, I know it would never happen I just think it would be fun

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-13 03:58:32
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Any of Lana Del Rey's songs. She is a goddess.

Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Would be interesting to hear her do the chorus of "Thrift Shop". Just saying.

Or Nemo by Nightwish.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2013-06-15 22:18:40
  • Thanks for introducing me to Amanda Marshall.  That's powerful.
  • I suppose Goldfrapp could cover anything and it would be good, I wouldn't even be that averse to Goldfrapp doing a covers album at some point later in their career. I'll have to get back to what songs I would like to hear though.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Pretty obvious really.... any song that is a girls name. Here's a few for starters.

Jolene - Dolly Parton
    Sara - Fleetwood Mac
    Roxanne - The Police
    Billie Jean- Michael Jackson
    Bonny - Prefab Sprout
    Denise- Blondie
    Charlotte Sometimes - The Cure
    Christine - the House of Love (my fav choice)

• funny I was thinking a Blondie track, maybe a bit obvious, but Alison and Debbie seem to be quite good pals, the last choice is interesting tattmaylor (not that the other ones aren't either, I don't think anyone could ever beat he cover of Jolene by The Sisters of Mercy though ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Fernando - ABBA

(Yeah I know that's a throwback to Head First)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Kate Bush's Babooshka.

Always Babooshka. 

• I seem to remember reading on the old board someone saying Goldfrapp should do a Slayer cover, well it really worked when Tori Amos did it and completely reinterpreted 'Raining Blood', I dunno about Slayer specifically but I would quite like to hear some kind of metal or punk song done as a beautiful meolodic, melancholic goldfrapp song. Alison started off in a punk band sometime in the 80's didn't she? So there has to be a punk song in there somewhere :o3
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • If I were dead, could I do this?

• I would quite like to hear some kind of metal or punk song done as a beautiful meolodic, melancholic goldfrapp song. Alison started off in a punk band sometime in the 80's didn't she? So there has to be a punk song in there somewhere :o3

Great idea, remember a few years back they did that remix for Marilyn Manson's 'This is the New S***' and Alison did some vocals for it. I really enjoyed that!

Anyway my contribution would be something like this. It's not very well-known but I think it's very dreamy, ethreral and would suit Alison's voice perfectly:

• Ryanoc91 said:

Great idea, remember a few years back they did that remix for Marilyn Manson's 'This is the New S***' and Alison did some vocals for it. I really enjoyed that!

Yeah I still have to get my thinking cap on, part of me wants to say 'Love will tear us apart' but it's like who hasn't done a cover of that song, it would have to be something less obvious, but something in that vein, I think Love Will Tear Us Apart woud suit Alison very well, but as I say it's been covered to death. I'll have to check that Marilyn Manson remix then, I assumed it was just a remix knew nothing about the vox, thanks :)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • some of my posts have apparently disappeared, oh well just as a bit of fun and word play on Alison, Wil and Goldfrapp I'll have

Elvis Costello and the Atrractions- Alison

Sisters of Mercy- Alice

The Smiths- William It was Really Nothing

The Stranglers- Golden Brown

yeah I know
    :o3
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Blancmange - Waves
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!