Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1028 Comments sorted by
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Toyah Willcox is 57 today. She is still out there on the circuit cutting a rug. Well done the class of '58. Keep it up.
    Looking like this, we can see it's no longer a mystery !

• Was there any particular reason you liked Toyah UT? Did she often go about Upper-Commando?
  • Back in the day, she was called the Queen of punk, but she was not really punk at all. She was New Wave which was what came after Punk around 1979, along with Siouxsie and other artists who were influenced by punk but not the destructive side of it which I hated. The first two,albums, Sheep Farming in Barnet and Blue Meaning were much more complex than punk, but remained visceral and confrontational and full of energy. The third Album, Anthem, was her biggest selling album and the most critically acclaimed, spending over a year on the album chart and the move to a more structured and sophisticated sound. However, it also heralded a move towards more commercial music, as required at that time to maximise sales, so we got "It's a Mystery" and "I Want to be Free" which were good songs but much more Pop driven. We had a slight shift back with the album "Changeling" , which had some fairly stellar musicians on it such as Nigel Glockler (from Saxon) on drums, Phil Spalding on bass and then Simon Phillips on drums, all of which were top notch session musicians. The music shifted back to a slightly darker place, which I liked, but then she changed record companies. She had been on a small independant label called Safari, so was a big fish in a small pond, but then ended up with with Parlaphone and they wanted her to move to a more commercial sound and things musically went down from there.
    Me? I liked her personality, her attitude and her energy as well as the early music. I still return to tracks from Sheep Farming and Blue a Meaning even now to reset my musical appreciation at times, as the music is still fresh and direct. I have met her on numerous occasions and corresponded with her even more. She is a great person, easily approachable and honest.
    Try this. There is some great imagery in this vid and the use of a very iconic building. You did ask !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-05-19 16:56:12
  • Try this

• Or this.  Let this one get to the middle 8 at approx. 2 min 10 sec.

• I remember many years ago watching a documentary about insomnia which she presented because she shared that she's a chronic insomniac. I was at the time I watched it ( still somewhat, these days). Kind of comforting to know that I wasn't the only one getting one hour of sleep of night at the time! ( was hers chemically induced I wonder....? ). She came across as being rather nice, a bit mumsy, not really what I expected.
  • She is a bit of an enigma, but quite charming. She is married to Robert Fripp, guitarist from King Crimson and 12 years her senior ( the 47th best guitarist ever according to Rolling Stone Magazine) and has a huge white rabbit as a pet called Willyfred.
    A strong, determined woman who knows what she wants and is tireless in achieving it. A excellent female role model.
  • This lady is pretty glamorous I would say :)
  • A bit off topic, but I believe I just found out who Mr. And Mrs. UT are-

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Bugger. Busted !
    Unfortunately, this video is not available to view in the UK. Shame, I thought we were pretty inciteful in that interview.
    Actually, we are probably a bit weirder than that :)
  • Bugger. Busted !
    Unfortunately, this video is not available to view in the UK. Shame, I thought we were pretty inciteful in that interview.
    Actually, we are probably a bit weirder than that :)

So, was "inciteful" purposely spelt the way it was?  Love it.  Loved the video too.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-05-22 05:31:38
  • You probably all saw that lovely photo Alison posted on Twitter last week of Lisa in a windy field. A stunning picture. This is my favourite picky of my other half, taken at Avebury a couple of years ago when we first got together. image I have to say I look better from the back, whereas she doesn't!!
  • Ah Avebury went to a wedding at the village church there last year, wonderful place - have an interesting story but not about sexy women so will have to look for another location for that.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!