Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
(leak talk in this thread)
  • 619 Comments sorted by
  • I'm sure everything will come up quite wonderfully in the end.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-07-30 00:01:35
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • why the hell yall want a leak for? how bout a single digital or cd or 7" with mixes?
  • Vesper said:

of course.......lyrics aren't essential to understanding the music :)
    ugh i still dont get the quotes and links LOL
    Post edited by stevil at 2013-07-30 00:28:03
  • I love how the songs each have narratives, but they're still Alison's poetry, and can thus be applied to our own lives.

God this album is entirely brilliant.
  • Not a fan of lossy formats or over compression but honestly I fell in love with so much music late on the John Peel show on a pathetic transistor radio with bad reception and low batteries - as Sparky said, the song quality is all.

Of course, a good song will always be a good song.
    The thing is at least you realized you were listening to a pathetic transistor radio with bad reception and low bateries.
    If you really liked what you heard you went out and buy it, knowing full well that it would sound better. Even on that cheapass stereo you bought from that very first self earned money.
    Anyone who just downloads this crappy leak of the album might not know that the iffy sound quality is caused by the compression, etc.

How would you feel if you're an artist counting down the days to your very first exhibition and suddenly you find out that out of the blue someone has already opened up a gallery (free entrance) with cheap photocopies of your work, but claiming it's the real thing....

On the other hand, loads of kids these days are listening to crappy overcompressed downloads/leaks.
    Maybe they've just stopped caring altogether.
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-07-30 04:43:11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • @Dreeke that's the comparison I've been searching for. thanks.

and yes, unfortunately too many folks still prefer the crappy "speakers" of their mobile phones not only when listening to music on the go.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-07-30 04:54:43
    Be patient.
  • juanbjork said:

why the hell yall want a leak for? how bout a single digital or cd or 7" with mixes?

I don't think anybody wants a link.  Some people, though, are very anxious to get their hands on the music.  I have a patient streak that can't be matched, so I can wait.  I honestly think in terms of lifetimes, on some subjects.
  • As far as quality of sound goes, I'm much more into quality of song.  In fact, a Rolling Stones song just wouldn't sound the same to me without all of the scratches and skips from the album (yeah, had to record "Let it bleed" from the album).  It reall drives me crazy, actually, when a movie does a soundtrack.  Oh, I buy them if they have some phenomenal songs on them.  But, the sounds from the movie are missing and that adds a very, very special quality for me.

• I don't think anybody wants a link.  Some people, though, are very anxious to get their hands on the music.  I have a patient streak that can't be matched, so I can wait.  I honestly think in terms of lifetimes, on some subjects.

I'm glad someone else has said they don't mind the wait for the new album. It was so disheartening to hear that ToU had leaked, espcially the way it affected Alison. I don't mind waiting, I want to hear it as it was meant to be heard, it wouldn't even cross my mind to check out the leaked version. Other than experience ToU live last week, I've tried to avoid listening to anything, even videos of the gigs.

I guess with fans there is always an element of the race to being the first to experience something, but I don't really love music as a comsumer (the need to collect releases) I have more of an emotional connection to music. That's not to say I don't want that gorgeous limited edition release of ToU...because I do :)

Post edited by tvpatrol at 2013-07-30 08:16:33
  • tvpatrol said:

e gigs.

I guess with fans there is always an element of the race to being the first the experience something

The one that throws me completely is the leaker.  What the heck is the person thinking?  Is it that "first" thing, again?  The feeling to be first to make it available?  Or, is the person just a total jerk or a blithering idiot?  I don't get it.  Of course, I guess the same question can be asked of spammers, hackers, and alot of other oddities...
  • I'm waiting too :)
  • This should not be a discussion about what WE think of the sound quality of the recording.
    It's the long hours WILL and ALISON put in getting their sound right.
    Trying to get that recording just right. Every minute detail.
    Going over mixes again and again untill THEY were comfortable enough to have it released.
    And then some fucker just takes their 'babies', rapes them and leaves them on the doorstep of the internet.

Believe me, I don't mind if an artist decides to release their songs in crappy mono recordings (Dead Moon springs to mind)
    I've got lots of DIY/hometaping stuff in my collection.
    I'm presuming they were released the way the artist intended them to sound.
    (I know there are exceptions where producers and record companies decided otherwise)

Even if you don't mind Alison sounding like she's trapped in a public toilet, please bear in mind that SHE never wanted to sound like that!
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-07-30 09:23:10
  • A bit hyperbolic. This is really not comparable to raping babies.

Nevertheless, everything will be right again in the world come September.
  • That's why I put it in quotes.
  • Quotation marks do not neutralize an offensive and insensitive metaphor.

Besides, if it were even a fraction of such an extreme situation for Alison, I doubt she would be tweeting about cookies, gentle breezes, and the latest television phenomenon in the days following.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!