Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
(leak talk in this thread)
  • 619 Comments sorted by
  • Of course it's wrong.
  • A_is_A said:

^ I can't tell you how much that incenses me! A theif steals art, passes if off to the world and then everyone judges the artists work based on the theifs botched copy. I'll tell you, if it was my work and reputation someone butchered I would hunt the leaker down, press charges and or sue the ever living shit out if them!

Me too. I would go legal.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Legal... Bring it! How else will they learn?!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I just found it on a large blog with leaks.
    Drew is the video version with the birds so not the album ending.
    Alvar and Jo have been mislabelled.
    And it's the compressed one.

Imagine how you'd feel as an artist to not only have your album leak but have it leak this way.
    It's a nightmare.

If I were them I would speed up the actual release by a month and do it a.s.a.p. (it's ready anyway) on iTunes etc. to make sure people BUY the legitimate and well mastered copy. Get the single out as well. And let the box be the box since box buyers get a download of files upon the earlier release of the regular edition anyway.

Damage control. Waiting another five weeks and having this spread another five weeks would be an artistic disaster.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • mute have always cocked up releases with Goldfrapp, it's been an issue since Supernature.
  • It's a valid point. All the more reason it really bothers me to read fans giddy over this leak. I think it's fucked up. Argh!!! Sue the bastard leaker! If more artists started doing that you would see this trend start to reverse.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2013-07-29 09:45:17
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Sorry I have no sympathy. What did they think would happen? It generally happens with big albums that are previewed this far in advance. I mean you record a stream pretty easily? The timescale may build the hype but that in turn just makes the leak more valuable and so makes a greater incentive for it being leaked. Don't play it to the press months in advance. Simple really. Like you can trust everyone. I really don't get it. Goldfrapp must really be a cash cow for Mute to justify this behaviour.

Here's an idea:
    How about a few weeks in advance of album RELEASE A SINGLE with a B-SIDE or 2 (even an EP). That would be enough to keep us fans happy until album release and give the press enough to get excited about and write about. Why do the need the whole album? What was wrong with the old skool way? Marketing people are some of the most stupid people on this planet.
  • Honestly?  I think we have to watch it play out.  Maybe they know what they're doing.  Shocking thought, I know, but that new management/agency still intrigues me.  I have high hopes that Goldfrapp will sky-rocket in the U.S.  I know it's a long shot but, I can only hope.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-29 10:30:07
  • Leaks are bound to happen. It's unfortunate but true @TattMaylor
    It's just the way it leaked that disturbs me: it was butchered and presented as the retail album when it pales in comparison to what the original sounds like.
  • Stranger said:

Leaks are bound to happen. It's unfortunate but true @TattMaylor

It's just the way it leaked that disturbs me: it was butchered and presented as the retail album when it pales in comparison to what the original sounds like.

Is that not because it was a stream? If they had sent out proper promo's then the leak would of been of a higher quality. They have only themselves to blame for quality of leak. 

Sure this happened to leak from last Interpol album (cut together from crap sources) and they were a bit pissed they hadn't put out a better quality one so the leak wasn't so bad as people started slagging off the production pre release.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-07-29 11:45:48
  • Oh I didn't know about that one. Same story then. Wow.
    (PS: The stream sounds a lot better than the leak)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-29 12:08:38
  • The songs are so beautiful, they stand up to any sound quality issues. The measure of their art is in the songwriting and the arrangement. EQ is not the deciding factor here.

On the plus side, everyone's going to have to buy it now, leak or no. My version sounds quite dry, but I think that has to do with the intimate nature of the vocals.

It's like we all forgot the super crappy version of Seventh Tree when it leaked....

• Sparky said:

The songs are so beautiful, they stand up to any sound quality issues.

That is the best statement I've heard, yet!  Woohoooo!
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • TBH the only album I can think of in recent years that has not leaked was the new Bowie, and I also remember the world reaching for its smelling salts out of shock that a Bowie album hadn't leaked ... or even been known about.

Not a fan of lossy formats or over compression but honestly I fell in love with so much music late on the John Peel show on a pathetic transistor radio with bad reception and low batteries - as Sparky said, the song quality is all.

I gather though that Mute have been very good at taking down the leaks. Better had people not leaked the album in the first place - I am with Will and Alison that the right place to debut new material is live - but hey, at least Mute are reacting.

Of course what I really want is a ride in the Tardis to release day ... and back with the goodies, mwah hahaha!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!