Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 7731 Comments sorted by
  • Unbuttoned
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Thanksgiving
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Alien

(Thanksgiving, viewed from this side of the Atlantic, is an alien festival.  I know nothing of it apart from what I can glean from films and television programmes.  Those [perhaps unreliable] sources leave me wondering why Americans put themselves through what seems to be an entirely grisly occasion.)
  • Abduction
    The gist of it Pet, is that you're supposed to take the time to thank God for all the blessings in your life. If ones an atheist, you're just supposed to look around and take stock of your life and think about sharing with the less fortunate. If one's a vegetarian, well, that's a completely unforgivable offense hahaha
    A joke of course, because the whole holiday meal (traditionally) is centered around one poor person, slaving in the kitchen all day, so they can cater to friends/family/loved and serve up mountains of food and a beauteous whole fucking turkey, whether they like it or not.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Considering it's beginnings, it really should be called Thanks-taking.

*Pirate
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-11-26 01:39:02
  • Loot

(It's really a fantasy that white man has created to pretend he didn't wipe out the indigenous people of North America to steal their land. Ah, history.)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Why, oh why didn't you say booty?

*Blissmas
  • Gruesomeness

Thank you all for the glosses on Thanksgiving.  I gather from films etc. that it's an occasion for spending time with people you'd prefer to avoid.  And then you have another such occasion the following month.  Perhaps it serves you right for your ancestors killing the Indians and stealing their land.  I use the word "Indians" because, I feel certain, I'd prefer it to "Native Americans" were I one of that people.  "America" is, I believe, named after a European, and presumably honours the bugger.  By contrast "Indian" signifies that the stupid Europeans didn't know where the fuck they were.

It seems to me that alien invasion films, of which Hollywood is quite fond, stem from an awareness that the Europeans were alien invaders with a gruesome agenda.
  • Whose ancestors?

*Flintstones
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-11-26 09:40:57
  • The ancestors of many people with wealth and power in the USA.

Meet
  • Most nations have a dark past they would rather forget. Hell, the Brits invented slavery, then were pivotal in abolishing it !

Sidedown
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Emm - isn't that 'Upside Down'

Under

Happy Thanksgiving to our American cousins.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Oh and don't forget concentration camps they were a good old Brit idea!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Ground

It's true that powerful nations have dark pasts -- that's how they become powerful.  It may be that the Sublime Republic of San Marino has a more or less blameless past.  It isn't true that the British invented slavery -- Britain was a nation from which the Romans took slaves long before it turned to enslaving others.  It is true that the British invented concentration camps.  Curiously the people the British put into the camps were Boers, those fun loving people whose descendants came up with Apartheid (I'm not saying that makes it right).  Perhaps the worst aspect of all this is that the heirs of the people responsible for the dark deeds are the ones who now have power and wealth.  The chances are that, if you're descended from British people who made real money from the slave trade, you're enjoying the wealth they left to their posterity.  If you're descended from ordinary people who never did anything outrageously wrong, you are probably without substantial wealth or influence.  The world is a wicked place.
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-11-27 06:31:57

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!