Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • You'd use it for a day.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Stop! You're acting like the Queen B on the Real Housewives of Xanadu.

• even i'm over the Xanadu references 
  • Juno says they shipped my vinyl on the 8th and it still hasn't arrived.... Getting very impatient
  • If the album had a stronger opening stretch of songs, I would absolutely love it. "Anymore" and "Tigerman" are the weakest links for me here, with "Systemagic" being just slightly higher up in my rankings. These are by no means bad songs, but I find them to be dull and/or relatively uninspired compared to the rest. That being said, I think "Systemagic" is the most obvious second single if this album gets one. The stretch from "Become The One" through "Beast That Never Was" just might be one of my favorite consecutive strings of songs on any Goldfrapp album. I think this is where Silver Eye really showcases its unique voice and atmosphere that sets it apart from, say, Supernature or Black Cherry. "Zodiac Black" is the powerhouse of the album, to be sure. It's an absolutely perfect song and one of the most exquisitely produced tracks in their entire catalog.

So I guess I'd say that my final verdict is "good album, weak opening."

Ranking:

Zodiac Black
    Faux Suede Drifter
    Beast That Never Was
    Become The One
    Moon In Your Mouth
    Ocean
    Everything Is Never Enough
    Systemagic
    Tigerman
    Anymore
    Post edited by Joey at 2017-04-18 19:07:13
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Just don't listen to the lyrics of "Tigerman."

• Joey said:

The stretch from "Become The One" through "Beast That Never Was" just might be one of my favorite consecutive strings of songs on any Goldfrapp album.
    My thoughts too. Anymore & Systemagic are great but the album really gets into its stride from Become the One, and the Faux/Zodiac/Beast trio is possibly the best they've ever done. Zodiac Black is just too fantastic for words....

I love how dark the album is - haven't seen much discussion about the lyrics but most (perhaps all) seem to be about the Occult.

• Never ever ever understanding the fan consensus that Anymore is somehow the weakest song. Like, ever.

• I like "Anymore." It's like "Rocket, Part 2."
  • iuventus said:

I like "Anymore." It's like "Rocket, Part 2."

see "Rocket, Part 2" reads as a major diss to me... Rocket was the reason Head First didn't get the attention it deserved, and I think it was a big part of why reviews weren't more enthusiastic. Still think the album ended up underrated as a result.

but I agree - I actually really love the entire opening half. Anymore and Systemagic are what I wanted from the touted "return to Black Cherry" tidbits we'd been getting. Faux Suede Drifter is the album's anchor, but I'm not feeling the same love for the two following that others are. I don't feel like Zodiac or Beast are among their best downtempo tracks, but they fit well with the album
  • Rocket was the reason Head First didn't get the attention it deserved, and I think it was a big part of why reviews weren't more enthusiastic. Still think the album ended up underrated as a result.

No, radio's ageism was the reason why Rocket, and consequently Head First, underperformed. Did any review  really specifically single out Rocket as a weak track?
    Post edited by Glitterizer at 2017-04-24 11:41:07
  • Anymore is way better than Rocket imo. Head First was really good in parts - Hunt, Dreaming & Shiny among Goldfrapp's best. Rocket was a good live singalong song but the weakest track they've ever done.

• No, radio's ageism was the reason why Rocket, and consequently Head First, underperformed. Did any review  really specifically single out Rocket as a weak track? 

I'll have to disagree with you there. Alison was never fit a "young pop star mold" so not sure how much was due to ageism versus it just not being as good as their prior upbeat singles from pre-Seventh Tree. Their singles were still getting played by Radio 1 (if I recall correctly, "Rocket" was too, but it's poor reception led to it falling off quickly, and subsequent singles getting ignored). Coming after a downtempo album, a return to electronic/pop needed to be good to be noticed and reach those same heights of attention, and "Rocket" just doesn't hold up compared to what most folks recalled (Ooh La La, Number 1, Ride A White Horse). "Rocket" on its own didn't get terrible reviews, but it was rarely (if ever) cited as a standout, and its performance (and their attitude towards it) speaks for itself.
  • all i can say is that the next single should definitely be "everything is never enough" with a great video featuring alison heavily!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!