Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • @Whisperedit..shhh. Wow! Just gorgeous! I really love ALL the pics in this thread. I love Alison's 'Celeste' too. Does it sound bad if I say I love animals more than most people? It prob does, so I won't say it. Ok, ok..I love both equally. That sounds better. People are animals anyway, whether they choose to live in a tree or not.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-10-19 14:29:16
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ^Yes, of course, it's an American Kestrel, specially chosen for you lot over there! Non-human animals are  true saviours. And human ones too, sometimes. Or a mixtures - like Ponygurls!  
  • Ponygurl said:@Whisperedit..shhh. Wow! Just gorgeous! I really love ALL the pics in this thread. I love Alison's 'Celeste' too. Does it sound bad if I say I love animals more than most people? It prob does, so I won't say it. Ok, ok..I love both equally. That sounds better. People are animals anyway, whether they choose to live in a tree or not.

But, PG, humans have the added complexity of having the
    potential to be sentient and, yet, we are not yet there.  That is a huge difference and makes the human race, essentially, insane.  This actually goes back to what I said about our ancestors a minute ago.  They fed us a line of bullshit that is preventing true sentience.  It's gotta change an it's gotta change soon.  A disturbed sentient view of existence is not a good thing.  Heck, if you go back to the interpretive results of many religions, the view is that it is sentience that is a bad thing.  That is not the case.  It is a disturbed sentience that is a bad thing.
  • I think non-human animals are sentient, WW. But I imagine my definition of "sentience" differs from yours? What does it mean to you?
  • It's all a matter of degree.  Yes, anything above an ameoba has senses.  What we do differently is sense things to a much greater degree with regards to ourselves, in context of ourselves.  That's not a bad thing, it's just that we have a set of blinders on that drives the race crazy.  With those blinders, we are not seeing accurately in context.  It is a distorted view.  Remove those blinders and the human race would be quite rational, rather than aberrant, indeed.
  • Thanks, WW. I've just read John Gray's recent book, "The Soul of the Marionette"on this. He argues - persuasively, I think - that humans are no different to non-human animals in this. We aren't half as smart as we think, and no more able to break free from our flawed and contradictory nature than is a chimpanzee, a dog, or a bee.

For him, history is essentially cyclical  - the notion that as a species we are destined to (or even capable of)  'progress' morally is an illusion. We will never be completely rational, and the distortions that you mention are inescapable. He also has some interesting thoughts about the inevitability of machine sentience. Well worth a read.   

Post edited by whispered at 2016-10-20 15:48:40
  • I've got a surprise for him.  As usual, people can't see what is right in front of them, literally.
  • ^ You're talking about your cock again, aren't you, WW?

Meanwhile, I've been looking at Tits.

Specifically Great Tits, and how far they are able to track and adapt to climate change. There's some intense research going on at Oxford atm. Some interesting snippets -

- GTs appear to time their egg laying to coincide with the bud burst time of the nearest oak tree - even though in the same wood, individual trees will break at slightly different times

- when feeding young, GTs don't seem to care about the quality of the food they are collecting - they have to collect 1000 caterpillars a day, so anything will do

- individual GTs behave differently - they have distinct personalities even in terms of feeding habits

- there's some evidence that they detect which tree has got the most caterpillars by smell - caterpillar damaged leaves might even be 'deliberately' signalling to GTs "come here! I'm being eaten alive!"

• I couldn't agree more. Can you imagine having a pair of great tits in your garden? I know I can. Let's be honest though, all tits are great. I wouldn't kick any tits out of my garden. Are you saying I would sit just there and watch them do their thing? No, I would definitely give them a helping hand (or two) in maintaining the garden. What's that old saying (?) A tit in each hand is worth two in the bush? I believe great tits range all the way from Britain to Japan- I'll have to look into it a bit more. I kinda wish some great tits would be released in the US- they would be lovely to watch. Apparently great tits are easy to recognize. Nature is just so fascinating, :D

(Someone had to go there)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-10-21 12:41:48
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Yeah. But a further bit of research just in - they are highly selective in mate choice. An intact frenulum is ESSENTIAL.
    Post edited by whispered at 2016-10-21 15:13:17
  • Can't show you a pic obviously, as I was driving past it at 50 mph, but there was a huge tawny owl sitting on a post by the A16 this morning.
  • ^don't worry, Kat! I managed to get a pic just as it went out of sight...
    http://www.davidwallphoto.com/gallery/Australia/Wildlife_Australia/AWlf031.jpg
  • No my friend, that's a kangaroo. Pone of us is barking mad and I've had the tests. It's not me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!