Tales Of Us - 6th album - 09/09/2013
  • 1197 Comments sorted by
  • & Annabel 

Be patient.
  • TALES OF US
    51 DAYS TO GO!!!!!
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I watched all the vids that I could find : Annabel, Ulla, Simone, Stranger and Laurel. I'm kinda disappointed by Annabel to be honest, even if I know it's difficult to judge from those videos, and studio version may be different. Concerning the four other songs, I can say I absolutely love them... I wanted so bad to hear Jo and Clay, especially Jo which appealed me a lot in the trailer.

Anyway, I was thinking about all those videos and I'm afraid of the album to be a little bit repetitive and too homogeneous ? I must be wrong, they have probably included some synths here and there, and I heard Thea was the most uptempo track. But oh well, that wait is so terrible that I've doubts.
    Post edited by Vesper at 2013-07-20 05:37:54
  • Vesper said:

I watched all the vids that I could find : Annabel, Ulla, Simone, Stranger and Laurel. I'm kinda disappointed by Annabel to be honest, even if I know it's difficult to judge from those videos, and studio version may be different. Concerning the four other songs, I can say I absolutely love them... I wanted so bad to hear Jo and Clay, especially Jo which appealed me a lot in the trailer.

Anyway, I was thinking about all those videos and I'm afraid of the album to be a little repetitive and too homogeneous ? I must be wrong, they have probably included some synths here and there, and I heards Thea was the most uptempo track. But oh well, that wait is so terrible that I've doubts.

I think it's going to be an album that grows & gives up its secrets over time. Sometimes those can be the albums that stick with you longer. I know a lot of releases, Goldfrapp or not, which I value aren't always the ones that hit me in the face on day one.

Only time will tell but it seems like a good starting point from the two nights.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-20 05:41:19
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Thea has been kept under wraps and there is the more rocky stylings of Alvar, so if you add Jo and Clay to the mix, it is quite a varied album. The whole thing is a huge love letter to the past (and present) and like k d lang's Imgenue, you just have to bathe in the dopamine.

• Sigh...... Im craving this album so,badly...

I just to play Drew, Simone and Clay full volume and drift away on them......
  • I think it's going to be an album that grows & gives up its secrets over time. Sometimes those can be the albums that stick with you longer. I know a lot of releases, Goldfrapp or not, which I value aren't always the ones that hit me in the face on day one.

Only time will tell but it seems like a good starting point from the two nights.

Like we discussed Carpy, I thought they were taking a big risk by presenting the album live before relasing it, because it's exaclty that kind of album you're talking about there.
    But hey, Goldfrapp once again proved me wrong and simply pulled it off.
    It's probably the gig with the longest applauses after each song (even the new ones) I've ever been too.
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-07-20 06:02:31
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • It's times like this I love having an internet connected TV box.......

:)
  • i'm also sure we were the loudest too...
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • You're probably right, Carpy. I personally know that Goldfrapp would never disappoint me. ;;)

Btw, why the hell nobody uploaded the 3 songs missing ?!
  • First of all thanks for all those detailed reports and opinions on the recent two gigs at MIF.
    Was and still is a pleasure to read them and feeling psyched for all of you!

Vesper said:

I watched all the vids that I could find : Annabel, Ulla, Simone, Stranger and Laurel. I'm kinda disappointed by Annabel to be honest, even if I know it's difficult to judge from those videos, and studio version may be different. Concerning the four other songs, I can say I absolutely love them... I wanted so bad to hear Jo and Clay, especially Jo which appealed me a lot in the trailer.

Anyway, I was thinking about all those videos and I'm afraid of the album to be a little bit repetitive and too homogeneous ? I must be wrong, they have probably included some synths here and there, and I heard Thea was the most uptempo track. But oh well, that wait is so terrible that I've doubts.

I'm right there with you. Judging from the youtube clips (and without having heard the proper studio versions, except Drew) so far, it feels "boring" in a way that it sounds a bit very repetitive indeed, but then again can be a strength when called homogeneous, which in fact most of the Frapp albums are. So nothing really to worry about.

My first (but definitely not final) impressions are as follows:

Laurel
    Simone
    Stranger (totally unimpressed by this one, call me a frigid stone)
    Drew (earworm already)
    Annabel (the Burton-esque ending saved it to be honest)
    Ulla
    ---------------------------------
    Clay/Jo  (based on a short clip from Instagram, totally get the hype for this one)
    Alvar  (Instagram, solo guitar!!!)

However this is judged only by Goldfrapp standards and compared to my favourite songs by them and I'm sure they will all grow on me sooner or later as Carpy and others said. I'm open to persuading. Sounded wrong... 
    What's more this is only based on relatively poor youtube clips not being able to capture and transport all the sound quality from the venue. Plus, I personally am always more fascinated by upbeat songs at first listen and don't pay much attention to the lyrics, which again is quite hard with the YT clips being the only thing available right now. 

And of course a Pitbull feat. Miss Lopez "Song" (sorry for that) would still be a minus 200 stars.

But I'm a bit worried when it comes to reviews, because most of the journalists don't have the time or motivation to let an album grow on them (which is actually not good at all). Then again, who cares for reviews written by unmotivated press people. I know of some more ambitious ones among us and when they say it's good, well, you just have to believe it.  :)

Vesper said:

You're probably right, Carpy. I personally know that Goldfrapp would never disappoint me. ;;)

Btw, why the hell nobody uploaded the 3 songs missing ?!

Again, I'll second that with my preciding comment.
    And yes, why are Alvar, Jo, Thea and Clay (probably the best tunes) still not online?
    I have a feeling that they will be my favourite tracks on the new record.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-07-20 11:13:44
    Be patient.
  • The one thing I'd noticed which is normally a good sign is that many people seem to have different favorites rather than one or two that everything goes straight for. We've all got albums with a couple of big singles and frankly nothing else to back them up so it seems they'll be avoiding that sort of lopsided release, thankfully.
  • You've got a point there for sure!
    And in this connection it shouldn't be forgotten that it (probably) is thought as a concept album.
    So judging from this, they did a really good job.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-07-20 07:07:35
    Be patient.
  • HolyOwl said:

Clay  (based on a short clip from Instagram, totally get the hype for this one)

Alvar  (based on a short clip from Instagram, solo guitar!!!)

[...]

And yes, why are Alvar, Jo, Thea and Clay (probably the best tunes) still not online?
    I have a feeling that they will be my favourite tracks on the new record.
    If you still have the links, I would like to hear them.
    I really wonder why those tracks haven't been uploaded... I'm sorry to say it again, but that's intriguing me ! :\">

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!