Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 40 Comments sorted by
  • I had a bad Friday the 13 experience once. Had been away on a short break, during which I had flu, so that was crap for a start. Then when we got home we discovered we d been burgled. Things all over the place, some personal things removed, beer cans from the fridge on the floor. Bad bad bad. Wary of the 13th ever since!
  • Hi Banana,
    I've been thinking about your "how do you make friends"-question. As Whick said, many times "friends" turn out to be no real friends at all. So maybe the question is not how to MAKE friends, but why it is that some people turn out to be friends at the end and others don't. For some mysterious reason people tend to see me as very sociable (is that an English word?), but the truth is much the same as in Wick's case: to me many people are merely acquiantances (again- is that an English word?) rather than friends. The funny thing is that with real friends you do not have to reason about what you should or shouldn't say. Conversations just go as they go and in some cases they can make real friendships by doing that. So do not bother too much asking yourself how to make friends. Just try to meet people (join a reading club if you're not able to practice a sport, or try forums on the internet if you prefer). You will see that friendships tend to pop up unexpectedly and unplanned.
    I wish you all the best, Banana!
  • KatRobin said:

I had a bad Friday the 13 experience once. Had been away on a short break, during which I had flu, so that was crap for a start. Then when we got home we discovered we d been burgled. Things all over the place, some personal things removed, beer cans from the fridge on the floor. Bad bad bad. Wary of the 13th ever since!

Kat. Surely not Tennants Extra Strength or Tramp Juice as it is known (so I am informed by, ehm, rough friends)?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Do what suits you, Banana.  If it doesn't suit her, then that tells you something.  I couldn't tolerate a woman that was upset if I opened the door for her.
  • Well I actually went to wholefoods for lunch today. Usually I have two flower girls proceed me and sprinkle red rose petals before my path. Once inside I usually head straight for the massage chairs, as the thought of grocery shopping can be exhausting. As I'm getting my massage, one of the girls acquires the items on my list while the other fans me with a palm frond and feeds me grapes. It was a good day. :P

^ That was obvious BS, I had soup and a lemonade by myself on the patio. I finished lunch then it started to rain. A beautiful lot attendant asked me if I would like "umbrella service" to my car. She started to open it and I said, "I'll just make a run for it"- so maybe it's a little difficult for me to accept chivalry. I think because usually I'm the chivalrous one, but I definitely wasn't offended. It's actually kinda nice.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I agree with Whickwithy, any woman ( or man) who sniffs at common courtesy, old fashioned or not, isn't likely to be a very nice person and certainly isn't likely to return little acts of kindness. But on the other hand, if you do chivalrous things with obvious discomfort of your own, or too much flair, that will look false and creepy. Just be natural and not over the top. I'm v proud that at the Special Needs school where I teach, the kids have lovely manners, they do hold doors for adults, say P and T , and we reward them for it. Respect has to be two way. You sound like a nice guy to me, just relax....don't try too hard.
  • One of the car doors is broken and my girlfriend now has to walk around to the drivers side to open my door and let me out (muttering under her breath each and every time) I'm sure anyone who happens to see this from a distance thinks it's very chivalrous. I think it's hilarious.
    I don't mind opening doors for other people and I certainly don't mind it if they open one for me. I find this common curtesy and thoughtfulness comforting.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-06-11 02:11:38
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Wow, Kat, your school is my ideal of such.  That needs teaching a lot more than most things.  But, then, I also think that self-discovery is desparately lacking, the most important form of learning, and more desirous than all of the money-making stuff one is perceived to need to survive (there's that darwinian prick, again).
  • New question needing an answer please!! Anyone live near a chicken hatchery?! We have found our dream home, made and had the offer accepted.....but there s the nagging concern about the chicken hatchery a field away. Doesn't smell to my insensitive hooter. Should we be worried? Any info gratefully received.
  • :^o :-& X( :-/ Haven't posted for a day or two and I've missed my little smiley friends
  • Can you still get out of the deal?

Oh, I was thinking slaughterhouse. Not sure if it's just a hatchery. Sorry for the scare.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-15 16:56:08
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • We live down the road from a chicken farm and when the wind is in the right direction.........!!!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I once lived in the vicinity of a hog farm. Same about the wind, but I loved the smell of porcine manure. Don't know about chicken shit though.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Appy61 said:

We live down the road from a chicken farm and when the wind is in the right direction.........!!!

But, then again, most of the time it is fine. Is it actually a chicken hatchery? Up the road from us is what is called a broiler house (or two). Here, they receive day old chicks and raise them for about 10 - 12 weeks and then, well, let's not go there... If it is actually a hatchery, then it may not be that bad. My uncle (actually Godfather) runs a large broiler farm in Parson Drove near Wisbech, and has about 10 of these houses and they live on site. I spent many weeks there in Summer holidays as a kid and cannot remember the smell at all. When the houses are in use, I would say little to worry about. It is when said chickens have 'gone' and they muck out that you get the smell. It is very occasional, doesn't last long and only a problem if the wind is in the right direction.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thanks UT for your helpful answer. It's not actually a broiler house, it is a hatchery where they (do whatever they do with ) the eggs ( disinfect them, turn them, keep them at the right temp etc) and as soon as the fluffy little cuties hatch they're whisked away .....to a fate I'd rather not think about either :( . If this sale all goes through we ll have the room for visitors....you can come and visit ye olde ancestral stomping ground!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!