Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X

• Everybody loves a bargain Missus. I'm a bona fide Charity Shop addict.  Latest shwag commences in 5, 4, 3,...

• 44 Comments sorted by

• I have been a charity shop junkie since my teens.  I get more excited by the clothes, though my last bundle of DVD's was deadly.  I'll show ya later.
  • Thought of you when I bought 'His & Hers' as it's a documentary set in 'the Irish midlands' which is also where my parents are from.  I'd never heard of it which made it noticeable.  To quote the cover:

"How do you tell a 90-year-old love story? How do you tell that story
    through the collective voice of 70 ladies? Using his own mother's life
    as inspiration, director Ken Wardrop visits the kitchens, living rooms
    and bedrooms of the Irish midlands to craft a truly affecting
    documentary from snapshots of ordinary life. The result is an
    extraordinarily personal and revealing portrait of a woman's
    relationship with her father, boyfriend, husband, and finally, son.
    "

Fingers crossed it's a s good as it sounds.
    Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-28 11:41:57
  • Charity Shop addict? Guilty as charged your honor. I bought a Julian Cope CD today '20 Mothers', quite pricey compared to others I come across  £3. I found the CD singles of Human and Utopia for 50p not so long ago, so one has to have balance I guess
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • amazon have a great selection of mp3 albums for cheapish money.

yeah but it's not exactly the same outcome as your purchase contributing to worthwhile causes is it? The opposite really in many ways, Amazon are good when it comes to finding stuff and what not, but they are the devil really no? ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-28 12:37:01
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

yeah but it's not exactly the same outcome as your purchase contributing to worthwhile causes is it? The opposite really in many ways, Amazon are good when it comes to finding stuff and what not, but they are the devil really no? ;)

hey, this thread is called the bargain thread? :p not the worthwhile cause thread.

• hey, this thread is called the bargain thread? :p not the worthwhile cause thread.

True very true, I should have apprcaited that this wasn't specifically aimed at charity shops. I am just, I dunno kind of peeved at the way Amazon has totally fucked over a lot of small independent businesses, even larger ones. They are a really shifty company in many ways, but that does not deny the necessity to use them when one has to. I guess just another way of saying it, is that Amazons bargains do come at a high price for wider society, but unless someone else wants to debate this I'll leave it at that, and oh yeah one final thing that a lot of charities are mercenaries too >:)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-28 13:03:22
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Charity Shop addict? Guilty as charged your honor. I bought a Julian Cope CD today '20 Mothers', quite pricey compared to others I come across  £3.

Brilliant Cope album - what a great find.

Got a BBC Radiophonic Workshop CD featuring some great Delia Derbyshire a couple of weeks ago.

New to the Charity Swag Game but learning it's well worth playing!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • My wife works at a charity shop.
    I've got loads of nice bargain CDs and Vinyls from that shop.

Because I'm on what they call 'Garden Leave' from work at the moment I'm doing charity work for the foodbank (not sure it's the proper English word for that) that distributes food to the needy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

t I'm doing charity work for the foodbank (not sure it's the proper English word for that) that distributes food to the needy.

Exactly the right phrase and a very good thing to do :)
  • Charity Shop addict? Guilty as charged your honor. I bought a Julian Cope CD today '20 Mothers', quite pricey compared to others I come across  £3.

Brilliant Cope album - what a great find.

Got a BBC Radiophonic Workshop CD featuring some great Delia Derbyshire a couple of weeks ago.

New to the Charity Swag Game but learning it's well worth playing!

nice one!

Yeah it is a good cope album, which well maybe you will pick up the 'what you listening to request for Cope ;)

That's a good CD for sure, I may even have it, but anything by BBC Radiophonic Workshop is worth having.

I guess we can thank Amazon for the fact that most of the UK High Street now consists of charity shops.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

• Dreeke said:

t I'm doing charity work for the foodbank (not sure it's the proper English word for that) that distributes food to the needy.

Exactly the right phrase and a very good thing to do :)

Yeah was gonna say that, don't wanna bring the thread down with heaviness but the rise of the foodbank is a grave  concern for us all in this age, nice one Dreke.

One other thing, you do get some charity shops that 'know' what they are selling, which is their prerogative really. One local charity I have helped which is selling music, the guy uses the Record Collector guide, but he makes it very reasonable prices, always at least half of what Record Collector state, as he would prefer people to come back and buy stuff rather than having it sit on the shelf for months on end.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

This was my last haul - all for less that £7 all in.
  • softlad said:

Thought of you when I bought 'His & Hers' as it's a documentary set in 'the Irish midlands' which is also where my parents are from.  I'd never heard of it which made it noticeable.  

It sounds great softlad, I have never heard of it either, tell us how you get on.  Whereabouts are your parents from?  

@Dreeke I imagine that is rewarding work, good for you.

@Carpy 'One hour of horror sounds'  Love it!  Great for Halloween.  Reminds me of a time when I worked in a place called 'Terror' and screamed at people for four pound an hour.

Here are the DVD's I picked up last week for €1 each.  I haven't watched them yet.
  • I love a bargain so much that I start in the clearance sale sections of the thrift stores.
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!