Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Cinema event in the USA
  • 71 Comments sorted by
  • I'm going to be driving out to LA since they won't be showing it here in Las Vegas. Can't believe there are no FRAPPERS here in vegas!! But whatever. Do you guys think it will ever come out on BLURAY? I'm thinking it might not, so that's why I'm willing to take the long trek to LALA land.

• Any Southern Californians going to the LA area showings?  They've picked terrible cinemas.  I have to imagine the venues were chosen by folks with no knowledge of the local markets.  I'm afraid that, even in LA, we're going to have a low turnout.  

That's kind of normal for the arthouse cinema experience though. I had to travel quite a ways to see "Blue is the Warmest Color" is some itsy bitsy theater. There were only 4 other people in the theater with me...soooooo, yeah. It's all good.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Pony where are you gonna see it. I'll be at The Paradiso, say we'll see each other! It would be so cool, no??
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • ^ Will you hold my hand if I get scared? ( :-SS)... But more importantly, which one of us is bringing the weed?! (Joke) Are you bringing anyone besides your girl? I can't get anyone to go with me because it's a weekday affair.

(Should I smuggle in a bottle of wine? What kind do you like) :)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-02-28 21:46:05
    U R I E L
  • (Nevermind, just read they sell it there...the wine that is.... B-))
    U R I E L
  • Ponygurl said:

Any Southern Californians going to the LA area showings?  They've picked terrible cinemas.  I have to imagine the venues were chosen by folks with no knowledge of the local markets.  I'm afraid that, even in LA, we're going to have a low turnout.  

That's kind of normal for the arthouse cinema experience though. I had to travel quite a ways to see "Blue is the Warmest Color" is some itsy bitsy theater. There were only 4 other people in the theater with me...soooooo, yeah. It's all good.

Not quite what I was getting at.  The locations they've selected for LA might make sense to someone doing all this booking from the UK, but anyone who has familiarity with the market could tell you they've picked terrible locations in a city of enormous urban sprawl.  One being Westwood--which is a bit too far inland for the West-Siders and way too far West for the East Siders.  It's basically convenient only to UCLA students.  This is Los Angeles--there are dozens of arthouse and specialty cinemas that would be closer to the, yes, "hip" neighborhoods like downtown, Silverlake, Echo Park, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica where there would likely be a good turnout for this type of event.  

I just hope they don't use the turnout for this cinema event as a barometer of interest in a live tour in the US.  
  • The problem (again) is this is being satellite broadcast, so the cinema needs to be set up for that, have the timeslot available, and actually want to screen it. Most independent and art house cinemas fall at the first hurdle there because satellite rigs are expensive and infrequently used. It's not so much the booking being bad (although in some places it's been handled bad) as it is the availability of suitable venues being minimal.
  • I'm so fucking excited for this!! It's gonna be a ball. Looks like we'll be seeing you there Pony! Mind, i only ever saw that one photo of you so, you'll have to come up and say hello. It's just me and my girlfriend, and you already know what we look like.
    I'll be seeing the show again at the end of the month in Miami with friends from work. What can i say, I'm a glutton? I also like big pieces of cake, with lots of icing :D
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-03-02 12:56:08
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • See ya at the Cinema Paradiso in Ft. Lauderdale!
  • Yay!! I'll be at Fort Lauderdale too. There's also a Paradiso on Hollywood Blvd. That was a bit confusing. Anyway, catch you at the movies!!
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-03-04 13:55:05
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • please no glitches please no glitches tonight 

• Looking fwd to reports from US deers!  I had to work late tonight and gave my tix to a co-worker.  Going to try to attend one of the later screenings scheduled for later this month.  
  • awesome awesome awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no major glitches...two quick drop outs on sound lasting less than a second......the films weaved together with the additional footage was awesome......

definitely going to the encore at the end of the month in Burbank, CA.

and the NoHo theater was SOLD OUT 
    packed

Post edited by stevil at 2014-03-05 02:01:32
  • Oh I'm so glad to hear it was sold out!  I'm going to try to make the Burbank showing myself, though still hoping another location in central LA pops up before then.  

Out of curiosity, how much were the tix in North Hollywood?
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2014-03-05 03:47:32
  • Was it live? Did they play it live again for the US? :)
    Formerly known as alex_t.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!