Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Hello from a newbie!
  • Hi everyone. I have been a fan of Goldfrapp ever since I heard 'Utopia' on a 'Q' chill out compilation CD, back in 2000. I have diligently purchased each successive release and have marvelled at the continuing evolution and quality of Will and Alison's music. I just happened to catch a quick look at 'Later' the other night and was once again blown away by the live band's performance, not least of course Alison's beautiful vocals. 

A relatively early Goldfrapp highlight for me looking back, was when I first watched the Somerset House performance from the 2 disc live DVD release (is it Wonderful Electric? forgive me, points off for not being obsessive enough to remember all the titles.....) and realising that Alison could indeed adopt an operatic vocal style for the intro of the aforementioned 'Utopia' - stunning!

I have so far not managed to get a Goldfrapp gig in the flesh. This is something I would truly love to remedy. I live in a mildly awkward location for seeing a lot of live music and getting to a decent gig, out with the very mainstream usually means a bit of travel.

The new album is yet another triumph in my opinion and I was absolutely thrilled to see and hear 'Ulla' in particular........forgive the twee-ness, but this is in no small part down to the fact that I have a 3 year old daughter with the same name, although she is 'Ula' - 1 'L' only.

Nice to be here and I look forward to interaction with whoever wishes....

Do Will or Alison ever post and/or interact with the folks on the forum?
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • Hello from me. You should answer some of the threads about your fave tracks etc on each album. So we know a bit more about you. I have only been to 1 Frapp concert. That was Manchester academy nov 2010. But trust me i am a huuuuuge Frapper. I have not seen anything from Alison or Will on this actual forum. But i do know they sometimes communicate with fans via twitter etc. Alison has answered to fans via that, Ask me anything section. Fans have posted the reply on here. TBH i have only just started to learn about the computer. We have it for the kids and i did not even touch it. Oh register for the Frapp newsletter.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Thank you for the reply cw36frapp :) I will take your advice regarding fave tracks and try and give you a bit more to go on. I suppose if you held a gun to my head, I would probably admit to holding a slight bias towards the more pastoral, gentle music than the elctro/beat stuff however, I am no doubt annoyingly all inclusive. I tend to be much more open minded about the positive aspects of ALL forms of music rather than jump on the chance to criticise.

I listen to a lot of jazz music as well as contemporary rock/pop music and I play in a blues band, so in many ways I am hard to put a tag on. but if I was to pick one word to describe how I define my tastes regarding Goldfrapp I would say "Lush". This covers the synth, the strings and of course Alison's fantastic vocal. 

Again, with a gun to my head I would probably pick 'Felt Mountain', 'Seventh Tree', 'Black Cherry' and 'Tales Of Us' as my favourite albums, but I really do love them all. I have NEVER been disappointed in the music of Goldfrapp. As I said in my first post, it's an ongoing evolution, as all music should be.
  • hello felixt1  :-h
  • Howdy Felix!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Hi Felix

can't resist the image trend A_is_A has started
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Hello felixt1 & welcome B-) :-h
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I taught I taw a puddy tat...

Welcome :D
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Welcome!

Growing up, the Felix I remember was the one in 'The Odd couple':

• ^ LOL T  :))
    Post edited by Jozzy81 at 2013-10-08 15:40:27
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Hello Felixt1, welcome to this forum from me too. I'm relatively new here myself. How nice to introduce yourself the way you did!
    Hope you like it here.
    Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2013-10-08 18:24:10
  • Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone :)

What's the general consensus on 'Tales Of Us' then?

I presume everyone is loving it?
  • It would seem just about everyone loves it Felix, there are one or two voices of dissent, but that is only healthy in any democracy :))

I personally LOVE Tales of US, and am undecided as to whether it may be Goldfrapp's best yet, but it certainly is a contender for the title.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • It's certainly a selection of compositions that make for a cohesive and nicely flowing album, Border_Mind. I'm not sure Goldfrapp have released an album before that feels so complete and self contained. And that is by no means a criticism of the previous albums. 'Tales Of Us' just seems to work particularly well when listened to in its entirety B-)
  • I agree there Felix, and admire them for reinvigorating the sense of purpose to an album in this day and age of throwaway downloadable songs. As an individual songs they work well too, but the experience when played as a full album is a real pleasure and is as you say a very cohesive piece.

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • It's funny, 'Tales of Us' is more reminiscent of 'Felt Mountain' than anything else that has gone before, but at the same time is very much a progression as a whole. I was seriously impressed with the live performance of 'Stranger' on Jools Holland's show on Friday. A really classy performance that no matter how kick-ass the other acts could have been, Goldfrapp stood out and confirmed themselves once again, as an original.B-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!