Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4410 Comments sorted by
  • Pink Floyd, "What's ... uh, the deal"

Just friggin' love Meddle and Obscured by Clouds.
  • Another of the things I have learned from being so ill is that even listening to music requires some  unexpected bodily functions.  For instance, my adrenal responses are very erratic atm, and my natural cortisol production virtually nil. (I have to take steroids to do the job). As a result, the fine tuning of arousal hormones needed for normal moment-to-moment emotional responses is shot to hell. I veer between smiling blankly when "Paper Bag" plays, and weeping for hours over the theme music to Countryfile.  

Here's an interesting paper on the subject. Some highlights:

* if you take the opioid antagonist Naloxone, you won't feel thrilled by your music (when I worked as a nurse, Naloxone was my favourite drug - you could magically bring heroin ODs back to life, with virtually no side effects. Now I realise it may have ruined their appreciation of Pink Floyd)
    * hippocampus activity is inhibited when you listen to pleasurable music (the hippocampus is a key part of mobilising stress defences)
    *listening to self-chosen music reduces cortisol production compared to someone else playing you New Age music

• I recommend "Obscured by Clouds".
  • " listening to self chosen music reduces cortisol production..."
    Is that why I want to scream and throw a wobbler when I go in a shop and there's bloody Christmas music on?!!!
  • Cocteau Twins, bish!

If I were dead, could I do this?

• I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Oh, where are all the stuffy dickheads that didn't like people chattering away?  C'mon Alan, show them how it's done!
  • Oh, where are all the stuffy dickheads that didn't like people chattering away?  C'mon Alan, show them how it's done!

I think the point was WW, that they did not like other people chattering away! It took the spotlight off them!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • You are absolutely right, UT.  It's very nice to find you really like a conversation.   So, where's Appy been?  I hope he's okay.
  • Yah, it was Sartori that used to take a snapshot of the posts if anyone dared post five or more in a row and title it "Bingo!".

This is a weird one by Majavishnu Orchestra called "Open Country".  It sounds just like "Can't find my way home", one of my favorite songs.
  • Okay, one more.  Fine song.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2016-12-30 18:14:30
  • You are absolutely right, UT.  It's very nice to find you really like a conversation.   So, where's Appy been?  I hope he's okay.

He is. We shared a Snowball with them tonight ( the drink with Advocat - get us !) . They lost Mrs Appy's Mum just before Christmas so it's been manic but as well as can be expected in the circumstances. You can find him on Twitter too if you want to say hello. Same posting name as the board, @Appy61
  • You have been listening to the WW and UT show. A Hands Across the Pond production!
    Be seeing you !

He is. We shared a Snowball with them tonight ( the drink with Advocat - get us !) . They lost Mrs Appy's Mum just before Christmas so it's been manic but as well as can be expected in the circumstances. You can find him on Twitter too if you want to say hello. Same posting name as the board, @Appy61

Thanks for the concern Whicky - it's been a bit of a strange year culminating in the sad events mentioned by UT, we're still working through that one with the funeral postponed until next Friday due to Christmas. It has certainly been a year of light and shade and, along with many, we're hoping for some better outcomes in 2017. I've now got the task of scanning the hundreds of posts on here since August and hope to find something interesting to say. We'll talk soon and all the best for the new year to all. Thoughts are with HJ as I am aware of his sad loss in the last few days. (I'm assuming he's mentioned it somewhere on here and not just FB?)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!