Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Anna Calvi
  • 483 Comments sorted by
  • ^
    Glad you enjoyed it @wild_corgi. I was a bit wary when I first heard it as sounded so different from hearing the tracks live last month. Continual playing of the album had kind of made it go BOOM for me, its fabulous. 
    I should never have doubted her silly me.
    If Brighton gig had been a weekend I would have gone to that one but its not so its Brummie land for me 
    :D
  • ^ @Hells_Bells

So, finally an upside to missing the intro live show. Who knew.

• I have the album now ;) will let you know what I think once I have had the chance to play it ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • OMG Dan the drummer has left!! WTF!! Was his last appearance with them last night. What's going on? :((
  • Tbh i do not know much about him. Because i am a new fan i have just focused on gaining some knowledge about Anna herself. Btw B-M if you have got any taste you will give the album a 10/10. Let us know after a few listens. 
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Oh my GOD HELLS!! I had no idea he was leaving. HE IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT AND COMPLETELY KEY TO HER SOUND. Particularly live, but I was thinking on this album too... who on EARTH will fill those shoes for this tour?! Crikey. Who on EARTH decides to leave her band?!

Ps - 'Cry' is my favourite today.
  • I am loving this album BUT my listening is continually disrupted for one reason or another.

Got a blast of the MP3 earlier and LOVED it, playing the vinyl now and am slightly disappointed with the sound quality to say the least, pretty new stylus and new clean record, but my god sounds badly mastered compared to say tales of us, ladyhawke's anxiety also suffers poor vinyl mastering in my opinion. It makes me wonder if anybody bothered to listen to this down at the pressing plant.
    At least I  get a higher quality wav version to download too, so by the time I listen to that I will have an uninterrupted listen I hope

Can't say much more than that now other than I love it. Still on earlier listens am of the opinion 'sing to me' is a favorite. I prefer the more experimental nature of this album than the first, and as far as I am concerned you can tell she is a fan of Siouxsie even more with this album, well that's what I am getting at least, and music does different things for different people I guess.

Sorry this isn't much of an album review yet, I do have a few other things to say, I just need to let it sink in a bit more ;)

But yeah CW36, I do rather 5 star reviews, and I guess this is a 5 star,easily 4 star album and I haven't had one uninterrupted listen yet :)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Bleed Into Me, wow, you can see this is someone who hangs out with Brian Eno totally ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Cry reminds me of Bowie's Sound and Vision a bit, a song he made with Brian Eno NO LESS ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination

• For the folks on this board less convinced about Anna Calvi give this track a whirl, it sits very comfortably alongside Tales of Us in my opinion ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Cry is fucking awesome. Im loving Carry Me Over today as well.

I had some fucking weird news yesterday that totally threw me, & I'm still away from home travelling, and I must say this has been one excellent album for stomping the streets and, like, pretending I'm in a dramatic scene in a film with shit stuff happening in life. Hahahaha!

Excuse my language. I'm a potty mouth. Some say that is a trait of the unintellegent. I say, swear words are great, and so is smoking, and you can shout the opposite at me forever but I stick to that. ;)
  • Swearing is totally fucking fair enough no arguments with me there Laura ;)

I am still needing that totally uninterrupted listen, but I have now played three times in a row and will still need to get back to what my favorites are as yet, but that's the thing there isn't one duff on this album, much as I do like the first album, this album has got me more into Anna Calvi in a way, and it's more my cup of tea, difficult second album - well that's not the case here, better than the first for sure (to these ears anyway)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • A real shame Dan the drummer's leaving - he is good, not only on record but live. Four weeks before the tour - I'm guessing she has somebody lined up already, just from the business point of view.

There's supposed to some radio interviews here from before the Islington show, if I can ever get the damn thing to load instead of giving me the W7 Blue Swirling Donut of Doom:  http://fuckyeahannacalvi.com/
    which might give some insight, or alternatively might be as tight lipped about this as they are about sexuality ...
  • Laura said:

Excuse my language. I'm a potty mouth. Some say that is a trait of the unintellegent. I say, swear words are great, and so is smoking, and you can shout the opposite at me forever but I stick to that. ;)

The internet is awash with rumours that: LAURA HAS HAD A BIT OF MEAT INSIDE HER!

What a turn-around! ;-)

(haha, sorry, couldn't resist)

• The cat being in the room when a new album gets a debut airing is always a good sign ;)

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-10-09 15:38:05
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!