Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Wishing Alison Well
  • Hope the title didn't scare anyone! Haven't posted in *years* on here but wishing you all good health and safety in these trying times - including Alison and her partner.

I'm not sure whether anyone else on here knows, but both of them are recovering from COVID-19 according to Alison's personal Instagram. Last thing I want is to make a big thing of it, but figured the longtime forum members here (especially those who don't use social media) would like to know.

Here's the text from her post for those who don't want to deal with account setup hassle:

"A Suffolk U.K sunrise, taken a few months back. A bit cheesy, but I’m kinda enjoying it this morning. I’m also enjoying lying on my heated kitchen floor... looking up at the skylight watching clouds rushing past, fantasising about future road trips and foreign travel. Things can feel really quite grim as we face such uncertainty. Covid and Brexit...what an awful combo! Then the U.S election too...there’s a lot happening.. and it feels like our lives continue to hang in limbo.

Myself and my partner are recovering from Covid. It’s been horrible and quite scary at times. Im pretty ok, just get tired quickly, sleep loads and I have no taste or smell. My partner on the other hand is still quite poorly, but at least he’s recovering at home now.
    Our symptoms at the beginning were not the typical ones mentioned and we were quite shocked when we tested positive. It was also surprising when the virus really took hold...it was horrible and I have to say I felt quite panicky about what might happen next. Anyway...we are now, finally... on the mend and I’m staying positive about life and all the good things to experience in this moment & in the future.

Take good care of yourselves please xxxxx!"

They seem to be bearing up (Alison particularly though I hope her sense of smell and taste return) but it sounds like a scary and rough time, so I thought it would be nice to wish them well on here together (I'm sure she checks the site occasionally). And, of course, nothing but good wishes for Will and everyone else in/around the band.

Feel free to sound off below with your well-wishes and let's keep them in our thoughts. In some ways we're a big family, and we'll get through this together before long! 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2020-10-23 21:13:30
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Thanks for the update.  My best wishes, as well.
  • Best wishes Slip & nice to see you back, if only briefly.
    I had seen it on Insta. She’s been holed up near us on the Suffolk/Essex border for some point of this year. The picture she posted where she was swimming in the river had a building On the opposite bank in the background that we know from being ‘local’.
    It’s about 8 miles from us & we shop around there occasionally, so always looking out for “Goldfrapp in unusual places’ opportunity!
    Stay safe.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • i saw it and thought "Shit!"

They'll pull through it though.

Sending my love and healing vibes to them both :)
  • I just ran across something regarding vocal range and, of course, I instantly thought of Alison.  I was reading in a book on music that the normal vocal range is an octave and a half.  Alison's is about 3 and a half.  Wow.

This seemed as good a place as any to put this.  You know how bad the search function is on this site.  I'm sure there is a thread somewhere called vocal range or something.

Speaking of it, does anyone know of a good discussion board?  I mean one that works well and you can have conversations within the flow of the discussion?  I know of only one and it is dedicated to sports.  Not my favorite subject.  Shit.  I think I could become  the fan of any musician that had a decent discussion board.  I have yet to find one.  I think a broken discussion board explains a lot about the sparseness of discussion on this board.  Anyone have any other theories on why this board pretty much blew apart?  I'd love to hear them.  I mean, there were some folks on here that were a bit annoying (myself included?) but that doesn't explain to me how a thriving board on the old site turned into the stunted thing it is today.  This site sailed south long before it should have "quieted".  The music wasn't the problem.  

Sometimes I wonder if Mirror is what broke things.  That was just sick.
  • I just ran across something regarding vocal range and, of course, I instantly thought of Alison.  I was reading in a book on music that the normal vocal range is an octave and a half.  Alison's is about 3 and a half.  Wow.

This seemed as good a place as any to put this.  You know how bad the search function is on this site.  I'm sure there is a thread somewhere called vocal range or something.

http://forum.goldfrapp.com/discussion/1886/vocal-y-things#Item_1
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • There was this website called Diva Devotee & it had it’s own thread on here. I believe the actual site is mothballed at the moment but it is still visible and has a page on Alison with the most God damn awful picture of her.
  • As for what happened to this site, it’s biggest issue I think is that people get bored with the long waits between new albums & gigs. The essence of the board is Goldfrapp music & there is only so long you can keep hashing over the older stuff. That said, I’ve noticed over the years (I’ve been here since 2014 but a fan since 2003) that people drift back when there is a new album or gigs so fingers crossed it livens up a bit next April when the FM 20th/21st anniversary gigs get going. Fingers crossed it’s not going to be the 22nd anniversary thanks to Omicron.
    I guess, on average, there are about 20 people who come by here regularly, but only about 8 regularly post & even them not frequently. Back in ‘the day’, it was probably 250 people posting most days.
    We just need to keep the eternal flame burning as if we let it go out, there will be nothing here for people to come back to.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2021-12-15 18:29:52
  • It's more than that.  The old message board was a thriving community, not just a place to shout Goldfrapp's glories.  I really think Mirror left a bad taste (and for good reason) but it was already declining before that.

For me, that old board was a joy to work with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!