Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Melt Mountain
  • Alison donated a sculpture to the Secret 7"'s initiative in support of the Help Refugees charity. Called "Melt Mountain," the piece consists of a melted copy of the Felt Mountain special edition white vinyl, the A-side label hand-painted with gouache, positioned on a white Rega Planar 1 turntable. The work was exhibited alongside other artists' contributions at the NOW Gallery in London. Alison's piece was unique in focusing on the vinyl, rather than the turntable. The modifications to the latter were physically dramatic, but visually subtle. The platter was removed and a new spindle installed halfway between the original position and the edge of the turntable, so that the melted vinyl would flow over the edge. Melt Mountain was auctioned by The Auction Collective on December 3rd, 2020. It sold for £2,200, which was 120% more than the estimated price. 

Post edited by CraigMcM at 2020-12-28 23:01:14
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Dali-esque
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • @CraigMcM , you must hold the record for the longest period from joining the board to making your first post as the record says you joined in 2013 & that this is your first post.
    Do we know who bought the piece? I assume it is intended for table top display & not for hanging?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • @CraigMcM , you must hold the record for the longest period from joining the board to making your first post as the record says you joined in 2013 & that this is your first post.

Do we know who bought the piece? I assume it is intended for table top display & not for hanging?

:-) 

(I hadn't noticed that the board had lost track of my activity. I've been on the forum, with the same user name since 2006. Kind folk here have answered questions of mine, enlightened me. Its true that I have not posted anything in many years though, especially because I had to stop attending concerts due to an epilepsy diagnosis)

Your assumption is correct: as displayed in the NOW Gallery, the piece has the original turntable feet, and mechanisms underneath, so hanging it would not be easy. 
  • Hi @CraigMcM. There are ways to extract info out of this forum if you know how, but it only goes back to the new incarnation of the board in 2013, & this suggests you have not posted anything since being migrated to the new board. I wasn’t on the old board as I only came here in 2014 so it’s always a pleasure to make the acquaintance of another Frapper!

:-h
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!