Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4410 Comments sorted by

• I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • I lost a friend this morning. She passed in her sleep, 4am. Unexpected. We both loved Tori. This helps me.

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

I lost a friend this morning. She passed in her sleep, 4am. Unexpected. We both loved Tori. This helps me.

Sorry to hear that, PG. Sending love x

• Thankyou Whispered xo. I'm focusing on celebrating her life, it takes the sting of the shock away.
    U R I E L
  • Ponygurl said:

I lost a friend this morning. She passed in her sleep, 4am. Unexpected. We both loved Tori. This helps me.

Condolences PG
    They say passing in your sleep is the easiest way to go, but it is devastating for those left behind.
    We never have done the funeral songs thread. Songs to ease you into whatever afterlife you believe in. We sent my Mum on her way with Nimrod by Elgar and We'll Meet Again by Gracie Fields as she was in the Army during WWII serving at Bletchley Park in a very early incarnation of military intelligence ( what we now call MI5).
    Anyway, this is one of mine (there are 5). Hope it brings you some peace.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2019-12-21 06:02:21
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I've also taken a liking to this and it gets better everytime I hear it. Her voice is unusual and enchanting.
    Armegeddon Waits by Lamb

• @UT Your Mum sounds pretty amazing. I love intelligence in a woman. Your funeral music is a touch psychedelic, a laser light show may be in order. :P

I guess I'm feeling guilt. I had given her a guitar for Christmas 10 years ago, and she had just bought a 12-string. She wanted me to come this past Christmas and teach her to tune and play it, but I couldn't make it. I didn't take or make the time, and time is so elusive..it's not limitless, at least to the physical body.
    U R I E L
  • Hi PG. She was. She arrived at Bletchely Park in 1942, aged only 19, a Private in the ATS, which was the Womens Army, and was part of Intelligence School 4. By the time she left at the end of the war, she had risen up to be a full Corporal and worked in the Japanese cypher section in the block where Collossus, the world's first programmable computer was developed by Tommy Flowers. It was never, ever mentioned in the family, and the first we heard of it was around 1977 when the true nature of the work carried out at BP became known and she said one day 'oh, I worked there during the war'.
    My full list of funeral songs is
    I close my eyes and count to 10 - Dusty Springfield
    Love is a losing game - Amy Winehouse
    The great gig in the sky - Pink Floyd
    Some People - Goldfrapp
    My Life - Dido
    No religion, Some anecdotes, a reading, a Eulogy but mainly the music.
    Try not to beat yourself up about your friend. She knew you loved her but we all lead full, complicated lives. Live yours!

This is my Mum at Bletchley Park with her friends. That's her in the middle at the back with the tie on. The pic is called 'ATS Off Duty! and appears in the book 'Bletchley Park People'.

• This is back when lyrics meant something- the gorgeous Annie Lennox
    U R I E L
  • Love Annie's voice!
    I have a list of favourite lyrics; you know, those ones that make the hairs on your arms stand up and Annie delivered one of them.

The language of love
    Slips from my lover's tongue
    Cooler than ice cream
    And warmer than the sun

• Wow! Just discovered this one. I think it's from 1983. (This would make a beastly remix)

Eurythmics - No Fear, No Hate, No Pain (No Broken Hearts)

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2019-03-06 23:32:18
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!