Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
All About Will
  • 211 Comments sorted by
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • This is the front and rear of Will's synth, a Mini Moog. The thing on the top of the keys is a breath controller. You play it in the same way as a Saxaphone or Clarinet and it sends an output to the MiniMoog and plays the notes instead of using the keys.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-05-13 19:56:24
  • Did you get to have a pint with the Great Man then?
  • Oh, I have just read the last page. I hope he said "how would I know?" in an optimistically knowing kinda way...
  • Yeah, it was I think. I said 'I have to ask so I can report back to people on the Forum, will there be new Goldfrapp in the future'? He said, 'Oh yes, there are gigs in the Summer'
    I said 'but what about new material'? and that is when he said with a chuckle 'Oh, how would I know'.
    I think Alison drives the new material. When she feels like it, she contacts her muse and says to Will 'I have some ideas' and he says 'you had better come over then'.
  • It seems as though there is a body of music written by Will without Alison. This was played on BBC Radio 6 over the weekend. It is called Hoedown.
    There are others on YouTube
  • I like that. It has a Penguin Café Orchestra feel to it.

Apparently, he has four pieces in the repertoire of the Apollo Saxophone Quartet.
    http://www.apollosaxophonequartet.com/styled/index.html
    Post edited by iuventus at 2018-05-14 19:22:49
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I think a lot of Goldfrapp fans forget that in the terms of artiste, Goldfrapp is a duo, of which Will is an equal part and player. Nearky all of what I see is skewed towards Alison. Case in point, if she had been at last Saturday's performance, a lot of Frapp Family would have showed up. As it was just Will, only Appy and I were there. I think this could be why he thanked us quite enthusiastically for coming along. Perhaps he feels a bit 2nd. Perhaps he is happy with that and that explains his 'how would I know' unguarded aside to us when I asked about new material. Another case in point. Everyone knows it was Alison's birthday last Sunday but how many know or care Will's is on the 17th September?
    I'm wagging my finger guys! Will is critical to this whole venture and needs to receive some Frapp Family love.
  • ^My guess is that GF is much less important to Will than it is to Alison. After all, he's a very successful musician, and much more active and appreciated on the wider professional scene - his compositions are part of the contemporary repertoire, he's repeatedly commissioned for TV and radio scores, performs with his own ensemble, and he and Prof Uttley seem to pop up on all sorts of musical adventures. I'd imagine that the GF fandom doesn't feature all that much in his life, either way. But that's not to say he shouldn't be appreciated.
  • He did seem particularly pleased that we had made the effort to come out and see them. Mind you. He's exactly the same if you can collar him before/after a Goldfrapp gig. Perhaps to him GF is a sort of Frankenstien monster he helped create, and now he is in the position where he has to feed the monster once in a while.
    Anyway, a good time and he said there would be summer gigs so let's hope not all festivals as I can't get on with them.
  • Who’s the chap on the right UT?
  • The question should have been 'who's the handsome, but somewhat visually elusive, guy on the left'
    The one on the right is Keith, Appy61.
  • I put this on Twitter and Caro came straight back and said 'Ooh, Amoeba Music T shirt!'
    We have shared San Francisco music shop experiance!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!