Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 196 Comments sorted by
  • The Sonnet. My personal favourite form of poetry.

You know, Sere, that particular sonnet is more a bit of braggadocio than a love poem.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • KatRobin said:

A woman from the US of A
    Had a little too much honest to say
    Conspiratorial sleuthing
    And a mission for Truthing
    Meant Monsanto took her away.

@kat I'd have a port and cigar with you any day! I guess the truth can mean 'danger".. Too bad 'danger' is my middle name.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Well cheers PG. looks like UT is dissing me cos I can’t span lol. At least I don’t magpie from a BOOK!
  • Let It Go
    Let It Go
    The limerick never bothered me anyway.

• Truth and honesty always align
    It's witless conclusions that never combine
    No depth to the thinking creates an offense
    When spewed with no reason, paraded as sense
    Such crass undertakings that lead us astray
    From reason and answers is fare of the day
    We've followed that path from long ages away
    So proud of the nonsense we mark and we spray

• I'm offended by nonsense presented as truth
    It stirs in the breast such strong feelings of ruth
    Proclaiming a problem, avoiding the facts
    The dictum is hiding from frivolous acts
    The paradigms met on the field of the day
    Surrender is given in all that you say
    What bothers me most is the shallow portrayal
    Proclaiming deep truths as a sham in a veil
    When reason is given but no answers avail
    Just a problem is noted, what's the point of the tale
    Anguish resides in the words that are spoke
    Go, once again, for a meaningless toke
    The answers are deep and the need is desire
    Real answer is given in deep spinal fire

Yeah, I know.  The importance of not being earnest is broken to pieces.
  • I'm not Magpieing Kat. I quoted the book to show that the Limerick is a valid and respected verse form, and is generall risqué in its content. The book has a whole front section on the development of the Limerick as a verse form. It's been around for a long time, possibly since Aristophanes (448?-380? B.C.). It really took off around 1840 thanks to Edward Lear. He wrote 212 of them and is considered the Poet Laureate of the form.
    Essentially, the Limerick is a anecdote in verse. It's first line sets the scene and introduces the main character, and ideally, the rhyme word at the end is unusual.
    'While Titian was mixing rose madder'
    The second line rhymes with the first, making a couplet (a a). It may introduce a second character and it should open the action which is to precipitate the crisis:
    'His model reclined on a ladder'
    The third and fourth lines are shortened to intensify the suspense, and to introduce a new rhyme, hopefully startling, which again makes a couplet (b b):
    'Her position, to Titian
    Suggested coition'
    The final line, enhanced by the end rhyme (a again) brings the climax and dénouement of the plot:
    'So he leapt up the ladder and had 'er!
    The double rhymes in lines 3 and 5 just add to the fun but are not compulsory to the form.

The book ends with an A to Z of limericks with many examples of each with the first line rhyme starting with A ( A famous theatrical actress) to Z ( There was a young lady of Zion).

The young lady from Bude is all my own work though
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • The club has been around since about 1,000,000 BC.
  • I'm not Magpieing Kat. I quoted the book to show that the Limerick is a valid and respected verse form...

Respected by those who enjoy reading limericks. I appreciate that you said "verse form" rather than "poem."
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Well, it's never plagiarism if you quote your sources, its research!
    I've liked limericks for many years now. I had a family friend called Eric, 40 years older than me, a very wise man. He also loved limericks and introduced me to a lot of the more 'niche' ones. His wife gave me the 'Lure of the Limerick' book, which was his, after he died. Incidentally, he also taught me how you skin a goat with a straw, but that's another story!
    Of the Limerick, I learnt something else today. From James Bryant's Limerick page on the Net

'The classic limerick is an anapestic trimeter of five lines with the rhyming scheme AABBA.
    It is possible, although not the classic form, to replace all the anapests with amphibrachs,
    but they cannot be mixed.

(The anapest [or anapaest] is a beat of UUS [Unstressed-Unstressed-Stressed] -
    not to be confused with a dactyl [SUU] which should not be used in limericks.
    The amphibrach is a beat of USU.)'
  • :-t You should’ve been a teacher UT.
    In this household, my other half was playing the didgeridoo and making the ceiling rattle at 5.30 am. We’re all mad. Come join us!
  • At 5.30 in the morning? Is that like a new age dawn thing to the God's? Lol
  • As I know, in your household, that 'playing the didgeridoo' does not equate to 'playing the pink Oboe', why was Cat flirting with instruments antipodean at such an ungodly hour?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!