Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
European Dates
  • 110 Comments sorted by
  • Iuv- do you think she was a lesbian?
  • There are many words that can be used to describe Jean Brodie's controlling influence on her class. She even tries to control the girls sex lives?!

I've read the book AND watched the film!
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-10-29 06:51:11
  • Oh, man, I wish, right now, that the votes weren't so inept on this messageboard.  But, it futzes things up for some when they are used.  A couple of kudos would be very appropriate.
  • KatRobin said:

Iuv- do you think she was a lesbian?

Um, she was a character in a novel/play/movie.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Yeah, I know who she was, but I'm getting to the core of her character!
  • What I meant Serenity is that, unlike a lot of bands, live Goldfrapp and studio Goldfrapp are two different entities. Studio is predominantly Alision and Will, with additional session musicians/friends brought in to help. Charlie has played bass on some recordings, but by no means all. So has Angie I believe and Alex Lee but these are not identified as being part of Goldfrapp itself as this is always just described as a duo, being Alison and Will.
    There will be a test at some point. ;)
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-10-29 09:42:32
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Haha!! No more studying UT!! But if i do get 10 out of 10 what will be my reward?

Kat- have you watched the film 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?' You could argue that maybe she is a lesbian or just very obsessed with the girls lives. When we were studying the themes in the book, Miss Brodie seemed to want to control her cohort of girls in every way possible. She looked up to leaders and frequently spoke about her views.

Wasn't it Sandy who slept with her lover? Didn't Miss Brodie almost predict that she would? Sandy was her star pupil. And it was Sandy who challenged her and ultimately betrayed her. I will never forget the blood curdling scream of 'ASSASIN!!'

It was quite a bizarre film nonetheless.
  • Yes I saw the film when I was an impressionable young girrrl lol...maybe it influenced my decision to teach ha ha! Then again, maybe not.
  • Well- this is my interpretation. 

Miss Brodie seems to outrageously flirt with the male teachers- they are falling over her at every opportunity. But she sort of wont go there with them, and grooms Rose Stanley into fulfilling her destiny to be the lover of Teddy Lloyd. She moulds Rose to fulfil her desires, and plans it at a young age.

But didn't Miss Brodie refer to a chap called Hugh, that sadly died in the war? Maybe that answers the question.

I SERIOUSLY hope nobody teaches like Miss Brodie. She is quite shocking and far too dictatorial.

Anyway what on earth has this got to do with European Dates. Iuventus!!! You started this!! 
    =))
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-10-29 15:21:49
  • Anyway- back to European Dates methinks..  :-?
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-10-29 16:15:18
  • Just a quick question- At what age did you decide that you wanted to be a teacher Kat? Was it always a calling for you?

• Not exactly no, I trained aged 29. I had wanted to be an Art Therapist after doing an art degree. I was offered a place at one of the only three institutions that offered the course back then, St Albans, but my parents couldn't afford the course fees. I guess in this day and age all students take on heaps of debt but 25 years ago that's not what most families did. I'm sure glad about that now. Anyway, back to the thread...!
  • So you didn't go to St Albans then? Did you train on the job with a school, or did you have to pay your own fees? Student debt is colossal these days. Plus there aren't enough jobs to go all round.
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-10-30 05:05:53
  • Getting back on thread, I have yet to upload my Berlin pics to Flickr or even process the Prague ones, which I think are better. In the meantime, here is a link to a tweet with 3 photos from Berlin that I shared. There is also a link to Mrs T's YouTube account with 5 vids from Prague ( 3 full songs and 2 vignettes featuring Angie and Seb)
    There are 4 more to come from Berlin when I can find time to upload them.

https://twitter.com/changeling_1/status/924348635319623680

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5QAgHJd2RRA1MMSQPlC_jA
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I hope everyone has fun at the gigs.

I wonder if the Glasgow gig will have any Halloween goody bags or if Alison will wear a fancy dress costume?

I'm sitting here slowly realised that i wont get any sleep tomorrow evening as the whole neighbourhood will be on the trick or treating. I've got plenty of digestive biscuits if they want them!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!