Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Systemagic (Second Single)
  • 59 Comments sorted by
  • all's quiet on the singles front it seems... a shame too, they should be pushing this HARD in clubs and on radio. does Mute just not have a budget anymore or what?
  • Or, maybe it means that things are going just fine?
  • i'm sure we'll see part 2 of the systematic remix EP soon enough (1-2 weeks?) followed by a TON of "everything is never enough" remixes
  • all's quiet on the singles front it seems... a shame too, they should be pushing this HARD in clubs and on radio. does Mute just not have a budget anymore or what?

Well, while Mute does seem to shift their weight behind certain artists at certain times (Erasure was getting the push, and still may be), it's not all the label. Out handles radio promotion, then you have Fascination management and publicists like Murray Chalmers too. All play a part in raising the Goldfrapp profile, and all bear the responsibility when it doesn't rise as high as it should.
  • I wouldn't exactly say their 'push' of Erasure was/is very successful either considering the only person i've heard/seen talk about them is you, TinSoldier  :))

Perhaps Mute just isn't up to par these days, but I think with social media there's far more control given to the artist directly as well and as an older act maybe just prefer the lowkey - successful route.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • In addition to a lack of radio or TV presence, they've been almost mute in regards to interviews.

Where is Alison & Will hiding?

Please come and say hello to your fans!! Would love to hear more from then them and what's coming next?

• 'Next' - such an ominous word after right after an album release, especially since musicians tend to have at least 2-3 years lead time before their new material is out.  I hate the wait, but it's usually for good reason.

I doubt very much we'll see another Goldfrapp album in the next two years, suspect it'll be 2021 before we hear anything new and that seems so far away, into the roaring 20s!
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

I wouldn't exactly say their 'push' of Erasure was/is very successful either considering the only person i've heard/seen talk about them is you, TinSoldier  :))

Think you're cute there, dontchya? ;)

My implied bias aside, go look at recent reviews of the new album, and I doubt you find one bad one. It's actually surprising even the real fanboys.

Still, regardless of quality, one need only follow the social media accounts of Mute and their employees to see Erasure has featured a lot more prominently than Goldfrapp has. Yes, there was a shift in focus due to the gap between the two releases, so GF would feature less now, but it still appears more effort is being made right now than was this long after Silver Eye was released. Of course, it's a little bittersweet, as I love both artists, and want to see both do well.

Gaelen said:

Perhaps Mute just isn't up to par these days, but I think with social media there's far more control given to the artist directly as well and as an older act maybe just prefer the lowkey - successful route.

There's definitely a locked-in fanbase for GF, but I don't agree, and I don't think the band does either. Publicists have changed a few times, and I think that's due to past performance, and promises from prospective ones. With Mute, Will and Alison surely have to know the lay of the land and what to expect, but I think they want more chart success. Touring is tied to it, and Alison has bemoaned the fact they didn't do more dates in the US. I have to imagine a bigger push from all the parties involved might have gotten those additional dates.
    Post edited by TinSoldier at 2017-05-30 20:20:33
  • darn - when is part 2 of the remixes dropping? :(
  • Gaelen said:

I wouldn't exactly say their 'push' of Erasure was/is very successful either considering the only person i've heard/seen talk about them is you, TinSoldier  :))

well they just landed their first top 10 studio album since 1997, so I'd say they've done a fairly good job, even if it doesn't translate to lingering in the charts.

i'm just not seeing anywhere near the level of work put into, say, Black Cherry. or even Felt Mountain, before they had much of an audience at all. record companies just don't have as much money or staff to invest in artists for the long-term success of albums anymore, and established acts especially suffer from this.
  • I'm glad they are so successful!  Good for them.  I was hoping that would be the case.  Is that England, Europe, World?
  • I'm glad they are so successful!  Good for them.  I was hoping that would be the case.  Is that England, Europe, World?

UK. They're like Goldfrapp in that they focus most of their promo attention there, but unlike Goldfrapp, they bother to tour for their global fans (yes, that's shade, and tbh they deserve it for making it so damn tough to see them).
  • Whoops!  Thought you were talking about Goldfrapp.
  • It's a shame that there is no physical singles!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!