Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Introduce Goldfrapp to your friends/family in only 20 Songs. What would you pick and why?
  • 32 Comments sorted by
  • i only need one
    i only utilize one

UTOPIA 
  • Hmm ok. As none of my friends or family know goldfrapp, I would pick maybe 5 songs.

First one would be Ooh La La which is the first song i heard and was hooked straight away with the T Rex glam rock synths.

2) I would then pick Train/Lovely 2 C U/Number 1

3) Strict Machine (extended version played at Glastonbury is technically brilliant)

4) Satin Chic (One of my other favourites now because of the caberet tones)

5) Little Bird (You can't beat this song. It's magical)

I forgot about Utopia so I will now add this to my list. :)
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2017-03-25 05:18:50
  • I actually very recently made my partner a Goldfrapp mixtape (by chance exactly 20 tracks) since he would be joining me for the Roundhouse gig, and has so far only explored Tales of Us and a few odd highlights I've sent his way (Number 1, Utopia, etc.). I tried to focus mainly on my favorites of their singles, plus some key album tracks and a b-side or two - leaving off Tales of Us or the new album as he had the former, and would likely pick up the latter. I had a second disc ready to go as well, which I may give him as a follow-up once he's had some time to settle in to these.

Gold mix:
    1 Lovely Head
    2 Human (single version)
    3 Utopia (genetically enriched)
    4 UK Girls (Physical)
    5 Crystalline Green
    6 Train
    7 Strict Machine (single mix)
    8 Black Cherry (single mix)
    9 Ooh La La
    10 Number 1
    11 Ride A White Horse (single version)
    12 Satin Chic
    13 A&E
    14 Little Bird
    15 Happiness (single version)
    16 Caravan Girl
    17 Believer
    18 Alive
    19 Head First
    20 Yellow Halo

some I was especially sad to leave off:
    Dreaming
    Yes Sir
    Twist
  • My list! It's 21 songs, 3 from each album. My selections from Silver Eye might obviously change as the album ages with me:

01. Lovely Head
    02. Human
    03. Utopia
    04. Train
    05. Hairy Trees
    06. Strict Machine
    07. Slide In
    08. Number 1
    09. Beautiful
    10. Clowns
    11. Little Bird
    12. Eat Yourself
    13. Dreaming
    14. I Wanna Life
    15. Voicething
    16. Jo
    17. Drew
    18. Alvar
    19. Become The One
    20. Faux Suede Drifter
    21. Ocean
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Just give them a copy of the Black Cherry album.  If they don't get it, we don't want 'em !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Just give them a copy of the Black Cherry album.  If they don't get it, we don't want 'em !

As much as i'd love to agree, I don't think that does the duo justice.  Yes, BC is an impeccable album (much like the rest), but only shows a small portion of their potential from a certain angle.  I think seeing how dynamic they are is what truly caught me, made me feel attached to them and see them as human, if you will, as we ourselves are dynamic in the way their discography is.  Perhaps that's just a late comers' way of seeing things, as i've had the opportunity to rack through several years of albums over a much shorter period.

I'd try and catch someone out with an instrumental first, and the one i'd pick is Road To Somewhere.  It actually reminds me a lot of the particular time when the album was recorded, when I stayed in the countryside at my childhood abode and would go cycles through the forests nearby with my mum with the morning dew sticking to my shoes and the sun shimmering down.  There's something strangely refreshing about the instrumental.  I'd then follow suit with Lovely Head, followed by Deep Honey and then step up with Koko, so on so forth.

Here's my take;

1. Road To Somewhere (Instrumental)
    2. Lovely Head
    3. Deep Honey
    4. Koko
    5. Train
    6. Ooh La La (Extended)
    7. Time Out From The World (Instrumental) 
    8. Faux Suede Drifter
    9. Alvar
    10. A&E
    11. Hairy Trees
    12. Strict Machine
    13. Anymore
    14. Systemagic
    15. All Night Operator
    16. Number 1
    17. Slide In
    18. I Wanna Life
    19. Happiness
    20. Black Cherry

Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Uh oh. Number 19. Another kittens going to heaven !

Worry not. There are plenty of kittens, and there's plenty of room in heaven.
    If I were dead, could I do this?

This confuses me

• Well, be confused no more Low. Old forum user Satori hated Happiness with a vengeance. He would say, every time it was played anywhere, the Devil would kill another kitten. It's just stuck in my mind now every time someone mentions the track.
    You realise another kitten is now dead right?
  • Well, be confused no more Low. Old forum user Satori hated Happiness with a vengeance. He would say, every time it was played anywhere, the Devil would kill another kitten. It's just stuck in my mind now every time someone mentions the track.
    You realise another kitten is now dead right?

That's it, I'm starting an "Anti-Seventh Tree-hate" neighbourhood watch-esque group.

• Nobody said they hated 7th Tree
    Just Happiness and possibly Caravan Girl.  A bit too up beat and jolly for Goldfrapp.  Not dark enough!
    Some People is a fantastic song though, as is Little Bird.

Just Happiness and possibly Caravan Girl.  A bit too up beat and jolly for Goldfrapp.  Not dark enough
     Happiness is "jolly" only in the way that I am after taking large quantities of meds just prior to being sick as a dog.
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-04-05 11:12:13

Just Happiness and possibly Caravan Girl.  A bit too up beat and jolly for Goldfrapp.  Not dark enough!
    Some People is a fantastic song though, as is Little Bird.

Maybe not on here but I've seen it elsewhere and I don't understand it.
    That coupled with the "too happy for Goldfrapp" argument is ludicrous to me. 

• Well, some time ago I did post that, in my humble opinion, Goldfrapp's music is always best when it is darker and embraces a slightly more sinister feel. One place this is particularly evident is on their cover of Winter Wonderland where they shift the song subtley from its original major key to a minor key and then back again to make the song sound slightly less upbeat and 'Christmassy'
    Remember the picture of the young girl running through the forest with some dogs carrying a head in her hand? They don't do many happy songs !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!