Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Beast That Never Was
  • Noticed this ages ago, but haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Has anyone else noticed the vocal around 3:22 that sounds incredibly similar to "...I'm not lost i'm just wandering your way..." from Ulla?  Thought it was quite a nice touch, and shows DNA of Tales in the electronic shroud of synths.

Soon be nothing of this world.
  • 16 Comments sorted by
  • THAT'S what it is... been wracking my brain!!! Very interesting touch.
  • Yes, me too! Well done Gaelen.
  • This track always reminds me of Ulla for some reason - perhaps it's more related than we know!
    I'm not too fond of Ulla for some reason (I don't know what it is - perhaps the melody being sing-songish like a tease on the playground), and while Beast is a gorgeous track I get a similar vibe from it. Strange.

It's like there's a hidden essence in these two tracks that links them.
  • I agree. Ulla is up there in my top 6 favourite GF tracks and this one would be in equal place, it has the same atmosphere. It makes me want to Get My Coven On lol.
  • Dancing naked at the Grand Sabbat again Kat?

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Something about the instrumentation or melody of the "Keep something back" section reminds me of Wicked Game by Chris Isaak... that's literally ALL I hear. Great song tho, one of my faves on Silver Eye <3 :) 
  • Dancing naked at the Grand Sabbat again

Satan was just a myth created to keep men from fucking animals, rape and killing each other. It was used to scare men into acting humane. Unfortunately a conscious, moral nature was not instilled in all men..hence their defective quality. We all know the real Satanic force was these fucked up men accusing women of witchcraft, so that they may steal the women's land. Alot were widows who inherited their husband's land that other men wanted. It's just History.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-04-03 15:56:17
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Something about the instrumentation or melody of the "Keep something back" section reminds me of Wicked Game by Chris Isaak... that's literally ALL I hear. Great song tho, one of my faves on Silver Eye <3 :) 

Mine too. It reminds me of chasing and hunting. A fantasy pursued, because one is trying to 'keep something back' causing the other to chase. A fantasy hunt..the Unicorn. ( I'm referring to the Rilke sonnet that has the line 'the beast that never was' )
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-04-03 16:05:22
    U R I E L
  • The "keep something back" part actually reminded me of Jo's "run, you better run...", but perhaps that's too easy.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

The "keep something back" part actually reminded me of Jo's "run, you better run...", but perhaps that's too easy.

This! Both tracks have a sense of "danger" to them, don't they? Jo is some kind of physical, immediate threat lurking, while Beast feels more like caution around the sacred nature forces and the old spirits.
  • Ponygurl said:

Dancing naked at the Grand Sabbat again

Satan was just a myth created to keep men from fucking animals, rape and killing each other. It was used to scare men into acting humane. Unfortunately a conscious, moral nature was not instilled in all men..hence their defective quality. We all know the real Satanic force was these fucked up men accusing women of witchcraft, so that they may steal the women's land. Alot were widows who inherited their husband's land that other men wanted. It's just History.

So, is Kat dancing naked at the Sabbat or not? Asking for a friend.
  • ^ Haha, I guess only Kat can answer that! Women should be able to dance naked whenever the fuck they feel like it, IMO. It's best to do it at night though when men aren't around to judge or rape them. :D
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-04-03 17:55:59
    U R I E L
  • Not all men are rapists Pony. Honest! Some of us are quite nice. There are some bastards though I grant you. Best avoid them like the scum sucking pond life they are.
  • Yes. I've been gardening this morning too and wish I'd been able to do that naked but as Storm Doris blew some of me bush away I feel a bit exposed ( leaves door wide open for UT there).
    Which reminds me of that episode of Willo The Wisp, the one where Evil Edna the TV cabinet / witch gets de-robed by woodworm.
    Barking mad me ( :-j )
  • Episode 17- Boring Old Edna!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!