Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Introduce Goldfrapp to your friends/family in only 20 Songs. What would you pick and why?
  • A friend of mine doesn't really know Goldfrapp and asked me for some tracks.  Its got me really thinking.

So all you people... If you had to introduce Goldfrapp to your friends/family in only 20 Songs what would you pick?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2017-03-24 21:07:17
  • 32 Comments sorted by
  • Never mind 20.  Some people these days do not have the attention span of a gnat !  What you are describing sounds more like a mix tape ( for a friend, with whom, you currently do not enjoy privileges !!)

I originally got hooked on 3, Train, Black Cherry and Strict Machine.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Never mind 20.  Some people these days do not have the attention span of a gnat !  What you are describing sounds more like a mix tape ( for a friend, with whom, you currently do not enjoy privileges !!)

I originally got hooked on 3, Train, Black Cherry and Strict Machine.

This is a female friend (privileges - erm no thanks!) I'm taking to Somerset House.  But yeah - a mix tape 
  • If you look, I was not gender specific in who a mix tape could be for. I was given a mix tape by a friend once who had titled it 'Melancholia' !  it was all very down and sad....
  • If its prep for a specific gig then maybe anticipate the set list and base it on that?

In addition, there are a few that are never played live these days, but which are quintessential early Frapp

- Sartorius
    - Tiptoe/Big Black Cloud (that shared chord sequence)
    - UK Girls/Physical
    - Gone to Earth
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-03-24 09:21:14
  • If you look, I was not gender specific in who a mix tape could be for. I was given a mix tape by a friend once who had titled it 'Melancholia' !  it was all very down and sad....

I know, I was teasing
  • My hook was Utopia.....
  • My hook was Utopia.....

Yay. Kate !!
    The 3 tracks I mention above I saw on Jools Holland.  This led to a purchase of Black Cherry in 2003 and then backwards to Felt Mountain and the pure joy of Lovely Head and Utopia etc.
    I am sure I first heard Utopia as part of an Ibiza soundtrack.
  • I was hooked on Lovely Head, then Utopia, Pilots and the wonderful Human
    Stayed with them ever since.
  • Not my favourites but the most obvious crowd pleasers are Ooh La La, Train and Strict Machine. I'd add a couple of blues songs, Eat Youself and Black Cherry plus the operatic Utopia to demonstrate the range
  • Train and Strict Machine won over my boyfriend, though Lovely Head scares him. Lol. Progress, though.
     It's entirely possible to bring someone over to our strange little world (considering he used to love Nicki Minaj and other plastic personalities before shifting into more indie territory like Goldfrapp and even Die Antwoord and Bjork). 

Overall, these are my top ten tracks to present to newbies, taking Silver Eye into account as well:

Train
    Systemagic
    Strict Machine
    Thea
    Jo
    Road to Somewhere (acoustic)
    Dreaming
    Hunt
    Horse Tears
    You Never Know

... and if they really get hooked, hit them with the masterpieces:

Ocean
    Drew
    Annabel
    Laurel
    Tiptoe
    Utopia
    Deer Stop
    Let It Take You
    Satin Chic
    Slippage
    Twist
    We Radiate
    Gone To Earth
    U.K Girls

First song I ever heard was Gone to Earth and it was during a dark time of my life, so I had a different first intro to the band really. 

Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-24 16:07:59
  • My mum's a big fan of Clowns, even asked me to set it as the ringtone on her phone for a while! Dunno what else I'd throw in, 20 leaves quite a fair whack of songs to pick!
  • Utopia
    Strict Machine
    Ooh La La
    Ride a White Horse
    Little Bird
    Rocket (my fav)
    Alive
    Thea
    Systemagic - haven't heard the full song, but assuming it's awesome. 

• id do it in 11 as thats more album length

utopia
    train
    strict machine
    ride a white house (single mix)
    slide in
    satin chic
    cologne cerrone houdini
    believer
    drew
    systemagic
    ocean

plus maybe a hidden bonus track of beautiful as a treat for listening the whole way through :)
    Post edited by aaronnnx at 2017-03-24 17:51:13
    Aaron
    facebook.com/omgitsaaronnnx
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-03-24 18:03:05
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • i'd start with Ooh La La, as that's probably the one track they will be most familiar with -
    then keep them going with the more upbeat tracks
    Strict Machine
    Train
    Ride a White horse
    Alive

and then introduce them to the slowys
    Black Cherry
    Lovely Head
    Pilots
    Stranger
    Voicething

When i introduced the other-half to them i'd play each album during a different car journey. start from felt mountain all the way to head first (tales hadn't been released at that point)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!