Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Anything happening with the vinyl reissues rumored a while back?
  • Anyone else recall around the time of the Felt Mountain RSD and Euro releases a mention of the other albums getting reissued? I'm sure I wasn't just imagining... Wonder if these will ever happen (obviously would be after this album campaign). I'd love to get Black Cherry and Seventh Tree still (Supernature and Head First eh).
  • 18 Comments sorted by
  • I've only Seventh Tree and Felt Mountain left to find on vinyl (utter hell thanks to the stupid RSD version), but I think it's likely that the band is waiting on Silver Eye to perform well and for some more interest to be generated in their catalogue prior to spending the money on reissuing the albums.

That said, we'd best all hurry up and find the original vinyl releases while they're out there. After the reissues come out, you simply won't ever see them again. I spent $150 CDN each for Supernature (sealed and never opened) and Black Cherry a few years back. No regrets, especially since they now go for double that... if they even appear online.

I'd say that honestly, Seventh Tree is the most expensive and hardest to find out of them all. People snapped that one up because of how incredible the hazy, dreamlike tracks sounded on vinyl, and it's clear to me that they blew through their printed supply. I haven't seen a single vinyl of it online in four years at least. Last time I saw it, it was $300 CDN. Right now, it's actually cheaper to collect autographs by the band than to invest in vinyl releases by them.

The reissues will happen. It's just a question of when, not if.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-16 20:12:11
  • I'm still waiting. After Felt Mountain on white vinyl and Silver Eye on clear vinyl, I'm ready for the rest of the catalog on colored vinyl.
  • Slippage said:

Perhaps when a Best Of is released closer to their retirement, or is 'The Singles' already classed as their greatest hits?
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Slippage said:

I've only Seventh Tree and Felt Mountain left to find on vinyl (utter hell thanks to the stupid RSD version), but I think it's likely that the band is waiting on Silver Eye to perform well and for some more interest to be generated in their catalogue prior to spending the money on reissuing the albums.

That said, we'd best all hurry up and find the original vinyl releases while they're out there. After the reissues come out, you simply won't ever see them again. I spent $150 CDN each for Supernature (sealed and never opened) and Black Cherry a few years back. No regrets, especially since they now go for double that... if they even appear online.

I'd say that honestly, Seventh Tree is the most expensive and hardest to find out of them all. People snapped that one up because of how incredible the hazy, dreamlike tracks sounded on vinyl, and it's clear to me that they blew through their printed supply. I haven't seen a single vinyl of it online in four years at least. Last time I saw it, it was $300 CDN. Right now, it's actually cheaper to collect autographs by the band than to invest in vinyl releases by them.

I personally can't really justify spending those amounts for single records at the moment, hence my hunger for the reissues. I'd also HIGHLY suggest you check out discogs.com - a site for music collectors to catalog their releases and also sell (often used by small stores and retailers too). All of their original issue LPs are available there, so if you (or others) are still looking, it's a good resource.

I'd also challenge your statement that "once reissues are available the originals become unavailable." It depends on the situation. If a new reissue were to come out and have a horrible pressing quality, then sure, I could see the original pressing's prices rise and disappear. But a well-done reissue can also have the opposite effect of driving down the price of the originals, as anyone but the most devoted collectors will simply turn to the newer, cheaper option for the sake of getting the content on record.

As for Felt Mountain, I'd suggest going for the new European pressing rather than the RSD one. MUCH better quality, and readily available - again check out discogs to find sellers that make sense for you location/shipping-wise.
  • Discogs is great. Never had much luck finding the studio albums, but did nab Lovely Head and Human on vinyl for $6 each, among countless other singles and rarities for a pittance. I'd like to agree that the reissues could have a positive effect on original pressing stock, but it seems there are so few left floating around out there that people are willing to part with. Didn't say the originals won't be available, but you might not see them available online, especially if the market is flilled with reissues. With luck, regardless, you may come across one here and there. 

I've heard the RSD vinyl is subpar compared to the original as well. Will have to keep an eye out.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-17 22:29:48
  • Can't wait to have all the Vinyls.  I found Head First the other day really cheap.
  • I yearn for the day when I can afford to buy Supernature & Seventh Tree on vinyl..  Got everything else bar these two. Why I didn't get them upon release I'll never know.
  • My version of Supernature has a sticker on it saying it's limited edition deluxe gatefold. I wonder how many were made....
  • Pineapple said:

My version of Supernature has a sticker on it saying it's limited edition deluxe gatefold. I wonder how many were made....

Not jealous...
  • Slippage said:

Discogs is great. Never had much luck finding the studio albums, but did nab Lovely Head and Human on vinyl for $6 each, among countless other singles and rarities for a pittance. I'd like to agree that the reissues could have a positive effect on original pressing stock, but it seems there are so few left floating around out there that people are willing to part with. Didn't say the originals won't be available, but you might not see them available online, especially if the market is flilled with reissues. With luck, regardless, you may come across one here and there. 

I've heard the RSD vinyl is subpar compared to the original as well. Will have to keep an eye out.

They're all currently available there on vinyl, just depends on what you're willing to pay.
  • Pineapple said:

My version of Supernature has a sticker on it saying it's limited edition deluxe gatefold. I wonder how many were made....

Not jealous...

I picked all 3 up in 2005 from HMV for a tenner each..... :D
  • Just had Head First through the door.  £10 including postage.  Sealed.  Bargain.
  • tomato23 said:

Just had Head First through the door.  £10 including postage.  Sealed.  Bargain.

Head First and Tales of Us came out when the vinyl resurgence was in full swing (so more than likely more copies pressed versus earlier albums), and (hate to admit it) sales started to drop off quite a bit after Seventh Tree. So I suspect these won't be in short supply on the secondhand market any time soon... But indeed, good bargain for a new record!
    Post edited by deep_honey at 2017-03-22 17:52:50

• tomato23 said:

Just tumbled Head First through the door.

Corrected for the majority of us
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Lol!

"had Head First through the door" kind of works too if going for a sexually suggestive joke ;) 

Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-22 19:04:49

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!