Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tracking Down the Frapp
  • Time on my hands, so decided to look at all the titles attributed to Alison and Will on the ASCAP database. The album/singles tracks are all there, plus the film score pieces from "Nowhere Boy" and "My Summer of Love" , but there are also some that are unknown to me. Here's the more obscure ones. Some of them are probably just fragments of soundtrack, but any help/ideas in working out what they might be would be welcome.

Ask The Lake (I remember this was unearthed just before ToU came out - could it be an early version of Ulla - although Ulla is listed separately?)

Blessing ?

Bodo  - this is from the soundtrack to "The Princess and the Warrior" (whatever that is) featuring some nice early Alison vocals. Here

C Tune ?

Drawing ?

Lost Cause ?

Oh La Hot Love (credited to Marc Bolan and AG) I guess this is the Fratellis version

Sex Exciter (AG with Scissor Sisters)

Telegraph Poles ?

Time Out From The Wind (instrumental) - presumably the registered title of the TOFTWorld instrumental

Va Va Voom - yep, they did the music for the 2002 adverts! Here

Woods ?

Post edited by whispered at 2017-02-23 06:28:35
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • The Va Va Voom advert was HOTLY contested at the time. But it is there on youtube. I think it wasn't used for very long so caused confusion.

Telegraph Poles was around the Felt Mountain time OR Black Cherry going into Supernature and everyone was like ohh yeah it makes total sense.

C Tune is Supernature era.
  • I don't recognise some of these!  It'd be great if they are actual songs and not titles that ended up merging / turning into another song during mixing / mastering. Telegraph poles sounds like an intriguing title.. I remember seeing 'Apricot Sunrise' written on a list of unfinished songs on the Black Cherry documentary and then realising that probably was 'Train'. 

Also, was there something called 'Wicker Tune' at one point?

From memory, I'm sure the following songs had alternate titles - whether official or just 'working titles' but I remember finding it interesting to see what they could have been called. Some are basically the same but others are totally different.

Ride A White Horse  (''White Horse'')
    Koko  (''Koko Nights'')
    Satin Chic  (''He's My Man'')
    Number 1  (''Walk Out Into Velvet'')
    Beautiful  (''I Wear Your Star'')

Train  (''Off The Train'', ''Apricot Sunrise'')
    Tiptoe  (derived from Big Black Cloud)

Remember when Supernature was going to be called Ooh La La?!

Post edited by MonsterLove at 2017-02-23 10:46:03
  • Some really interesting and obscure finds here, would certainly be interested to hear about Telegraph Poles!
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-02-23 12:49:15
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I remember one of the early videos had footage from Alison obviously on a tour bus or car with her camera trained out of the window with a stream of Telegraph poles going by. A recurring theme in her early films.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-24 12:31:01
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I wish her and Will would have a blast making an album of retooled unreleased tracks. "Wicker Tune" has always fascinated me (though I bet it became a 7T track), and I haven't even heard of "Telegraph Poles", "Blessing", "Lost Cause" and "Drawing" until now. I still think "Ask The Lake" is an unreleased track from the Tales sessions. They definitely have recorded tracks sitting somewhere, unreleased. I feel it in my bones.

I hope one day she'll be willing to release them, even bundled in an elusive deluxe box set the way Lee was. The question is, would she be comfortable doing so? This incredible lady could sing a Trump speech and I'd listen to every word.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-23 19:06:43
  • Slippage said:

I wish her and Will would have a blast making an album of retooled unreleased tracks. "Wicker Tune" has always fascinated me (though I bet it became a 7T track), and I haven't even heard of "Telegraph Poles", "Blessing", "Lost Cause" and "Drawing" until now. I still think "Ask The Lake" is an unreleased track from the Tales sessions. They definitely have recorded tracks sitting somewhere, unreleased. I feel it in my bones.

I hope one day she'll be willing to release them, even bundled in an elusive deluxe box set the way Lee was. The question is, would she be comfortable doing so? This incredible lady could sing a Trump speech and I'd listen to every word.

You're not wrong. You just know they still do despite having admitted during the Supernature era that they'd binned a drawer full of tracks for being "just crap", which in Goldfrapp world is still better then 80% of the stuff out there.
    Alison also admitted in an interview that they record "absolutely everything" they do. So could you imagine even a little disc full of instrumentals and soundtrack pieces? Like 'Nowhere Boy' times ten?

If, God forbid, they ever decide it's time to pack it in, that should be their sendoff. It's very unlikely they'd be comfortable going through all their old stuff again but honestly, it's better that and we all get to hear it instead of just letting it rot in some hard drive somewhere for the rest of time.

• Someone find Stevie Nicks and tell her this.

Please.

I simply must have a copy of "Forest of the Black Roses" in high quality before I die!
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-24 12:07:13
  • Low said:

Alison also admitted in an interview that they record "absolutely everything" they do.

I guess she meant jam sessions
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • A casual chat over a cup of tea would make a good song as well, love the old interviews of Alison & Will doing Q&A
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Right.....

For felt mountain I don't think anything else was recorded-they went back into the studio (?) and wrote those 3 songs (FN, LD and S) as extras so they wouldn't get bored on tour-Will said no studio versions exist. I think it was from a fan interview this was said maybe in the 7tht era....

Black Cherry, not sure either. In twisted summer I'm sure Alison makes reference to recording b sides for the album....

Supernature- in the interviews for this they said that the record label helped them choose what songs went into the album and what was left off....I think the song killer is from this era and fall to the floor which was mentioned in a mojo work in progress interview.

Seventh Tree- I think that they said they recorded about 20 songs for this album I'm sure, or made reference to a "drawer full of songs"

Head first- not a clue

The singles- a deluxe version was due to be released featuring one previously unreleased track but this never got far....

ToU- no idea.

Hope this helps!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!