Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Gossip from the Forest
  • 44 Comments sorted by
  • That sounds Gaelic, whispered?  Nice picture and interesting story, also.

It's from Wales. During the last Ice Age, Wales and Ireland were linked by dry land (or ice!). The forest must have grown up as the ice melted and the Irish Sea started to fill about 10,000 years ago. 

During this period of warming, agriculture was spreading across the British Isles, and by about 4,500 years ago, its quite likely that the first farmers were living in "Cantre'r Gwaelod".

But the Irish Sea continued to rise and within 500-1000 years, the land would have been submerged (that's what tree ring and carbon dating give us for the age of the forest).

So even though the folktale of Cantre'r Gwaelod can be traced only as far back as the Dark Ages, it could be that its roots are in the memories of those earliest farmers over 2000 years before that.

I bet you've got some indigenous tales from the forests where you live?

Post edited by whispered at 2017-02-19 12:12:19
  • That looks like a scene from a dream sequence PG. The brunette is not your English rose by any chance?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ I now understand where the description "pools of light" comes from. It looks just as dreamlike on the forest floor when you're standing near or next to it. It's jungle light, :D. The girl in it is actually my sis, not the English rose. The English rose is of the hothouse variety and has a bit of fear of the natural world. I can't get her to hike a trail, ride a horse, swim a spring, paddle a kayak...nada. Oh well.

@whispered I love your story and image. You can't beat history and nature combined ;)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-19 15:43:31
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Maybe you need a Welsh rose, PG. Someone who can do a bit of sheep wrangling and who won't baulk at a bit of rain. Or Pony trekking. X
  • When you find her, let me know @};-
    U R I E L
  • Well, I have a soft spot for our Charl...

• You sure you didn't mean hard spot? ;)
    U R I E L
  • Hmmm...soft...

• ...Or hard....

• You know, I'm going to have to think about her it a bit more....
  • There are sure enough forests around here but, unfortunately, those are tales that one usually would learn growing up.  I didn't grow up here.  I probably should have been.  The Band's song "Acadian Driftwood" and the lyrics "point my compass north, I've got winter in my bones" suits me to, well, the bone!
  • ^And you can still make your own "Tales of ...."
  • whispered said:

Well, I have a soft spot for our Charl...

Hm, a Welsh Enchantress!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-19 18:23:16
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!