Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Hi fellow frappers 

Where do you go to listen to the previews? I can't find them anywhere online.

Reading the recent interviews with Alison and what she's had to say about SE's soundscape and themes throughout I literally cannot wait. 
  • i have to say i was really bummed out on first listen but then put the samples on my iPhone and listened to them a few times. now i'm totally hooked on a bunch of tracks; Tigerman, Faux Suede Drifter, Everything is Never Enough, and of course Ocean and Anymore... 

There is the same brilliance here that always was Goldfrapp - it is just yet again packaged so differently that we are having to adjust :)

• stevil said:

no wonder she shies away from fans

toxic......
    self care Sage

If it were me in Alison's shoes, the only fans i'd by shying away from are people like you... coo coo! ;) 

I agree with people about it seeming a bit underwhelming on first listen, but I think that's because we expect a lot and don't expect the right things either.  This album is it's own beast, but we are obviously trying to familiarise it to past work to find some common ground.  Once we have the full album i'm sure it'll be different, especially considering each song is relatively long.

The wait is tough!

Soon be nothing of this world.
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • It does grow on one.  I'm starting to think that is a trend with a lot of Goldfrapp music as I consider past recording....

• I'm not sure why you need to take umbrage with someone expressing a different opinion.  I've loved every single album they've released from Felt Mountain to TOU -- yes, even the sometimes maligned Head First.  These previews have left me cold, but I'll be the first one to celebrate if my first impressions turn out to be way off.  I literally hope I'm wrong and that I'll end up loving the album.  

NovaLasing said:

In my experience it's a good sign if it doesn't sound that great on a first
    listen. My favourite album ever is 7T but I remember how disappointed I was that didn't sound
    good at first, and took me about 10 spins to get into most of it. 

See, that's the odd thing.  Their music has always been instant with me.  Yes, certainly, multiple listens are always rewarded, but the second I heard Felt Mountain, Black Cherry, Supernature, Seventh Tree, Head First and TOU, it clicked for me.  Even just the previews.  I was hooked, enthralled, ready for more.  So, that's why this experience stood out for me.  Goldfrapp's never been a band I've had to listen to multiple times before I "got" it.  The previews just left me flat and cold.  And I actually really like "Anymore". Anyway, you should pay no attention to me, in case you didn't hear, I'm toxic.  
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2017-02-19 04:29:44
  • As blasphemous as this may sound, many songs from Felt Mountain and Black Cherry took a while to grow on me. That might have had something to do with the fact that I was 12-13 years old when I first heard them, but it just reminds me that I haven't always loved them straight away. Well, some of them. Happiness, Caravan Girl, Crystalline Green, all favourites first time I heard them.

I think the growing record belongs to Eat Yourself. Stupid young me used to listen to the first 10 seconds and skip it for a lengthy period of time.

• Yes, I always think that how moved one is by a piece of music is a combination of certain intrinsic qualities, but mainly down to what the listener brings to it. FM and BC will always be the music of my soul, and this is mostly because of my state of emotional receptivity/vulnerability when I grew to know them.

This is perhaps why less programmatic music works best for me - something allusive and ambiguous allows one to invest it with whatever meanings are necessary at the time. An example might be Tiptoe, which starts with that apparently unambiguous sexuality, but then develops the countercurrent of regret and longing, morphing at the end into the very different feel of Big Black Cloud....the HF songs, on the other hand, are much less nuanced.

So if SE allows space for ambiguity, I'm good. In any case, only the full experience will tell.   

• Apparently it took me 2 years to get into Supernature

For long time I knew that I first found Goldfrapp sometime in summer of 2009. And then I found old post in What are you listening to now? thread on other forum from March of 2007 and it said that I have Superbature on my mp3 playerimage
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Whoa, boy.

I think it's my turn to cave, haha! Would any Deer be so kind and generous as to PM me, please? O:-)

Thank you! X 
  • Japanese import on Amazon is titled "Silver Eye Bonus Track".

There's no going back.
    Post edited by Jo_ey at 2017-02-20 01:41:14
  • Jo_ey said:

Japanese import on Amazon is titled "Silver Eye Bonus Track".

There's no going back.

Plot twist: bonus track is actually called "Silver Eye Bonus Track".

• Imagine it's a remix of Anymore.
  • All Night Operator (Part 2)
    Soon be nothing of this world.

• Post edited by LuDux at 2017-02-20 16:14:04
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!