Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Hate to be a Debby Downer but I feel like this long stretch between the release of 'Anymore' and the new album could backfire.  It feels very 15 years ago.  I know some artists still tease albums in these long pre-release campaigns, but they're often huge-selling A-listers for whom the long tease is a strategic advantage.  I adore Goldfrapp and I know they have a fiercely loyal audience, but beyond the Supernature era, they've never been huge.  

Is there really going to be a second wave of press and media interest months after the first single and, apparently, well after some journalists  have already heard the album? It feels like this campaign has lost momentum and we have until the end of March before the album itself is out.  I mean, look at the video.  The official audio has (and probably will continue to have) more views on YT than the official video because of the long wait between the two.  Ah, well, I guess that's Mute's problem.  My only mission is to enjoy the music and hope they have some West Coast gigs in the US.  

I feel ya. Second single at the end of the month and then album release in the first half of March probably would have been the sweet spot. But we'll see how it goes.

• Hate to be a Debby Downer but I feel like this long stretch between the release of 'Anymore' and the new album could backfire.  It feels very 15 years ago.  

THIS
    THIS
    THIS
    just release the album digitally early...a lot of people who pre-ordered discs/vinyl will pay the extra to get the album quicker
    i agree this was a bad decision

AND I MISS ACTUAL CD SINGLE RELEASES 
  • They will return, look at vinyl.  Dead as a Dodo about 10 years ago, nobody was interested in the stuff - these days it's mainstream.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

I totally agree.. I caved and listened to clips, and I feel like SE will be more of a cross between BC and HF. Wasn't really getting any Supernature from the clips. I absolutely loved HF so that has me excited. Systemagic was also giving my Scissor Sisters vibes. 

yes it's interesting how much she's dismissing Head First since when it came out she couldn't stop talking about how joyous the songs were...new love?

Silver Eye sounds very Black Cherry meets the revamped, restructured Head First....and We Radiate comes to mind 
    and i unapologetically LOVE head first 
    ELO-ONJ Xanadu v2.o
    :o3
    Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-17 17:12:20
  • Gaelen said:

They will return, look at vinyl.  Dead as a Dodo about 10 years ago, nobody was interested in the stuff - these days it's mainstream.

i hope so 
    Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-17 17:11:59
  • and couldn't stop humming SYSTEMAGIC at the grocers today....

INFECTIOUS 

Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-17 17:15:16
  • Does anyone here actually dislike Head First?  Would be interested in hearing why, suppose anyone who's idea of 'Frapp is Felt Mountain would have a hard time but beyond that...
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Alison doesn't like Head First - just saying :)

I think much of HF was fabulous (particularly Hunt, Dreaming, Shiny & Warm) and the HF tour was great. But one or two songs not so, particularly Rocket.
  • yes Rocket was a little shampoo commercial esque 

• Rocket was beneath them.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  •  but I feel like this long stretch between the release of 'Anymore' and the new album could backfire.

What seems bizarre to me is that the last album was leaked.  So, why in the world would they take so long with this one?  I guess they must be feeling pretty confident, for some strange reason, that it won't leak.

I also, though, feel that they must have a pretty good PR campaign planned.  There's just something different feeling about this launch.  It is why I feel like it could be there biggest success.  The past PR really didn't get the attention for the music that it should have.

• I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Rocket was beneath them.

yeah it truly was...although J'ADORE the video 
    for obvious Xanadu-related reasons
    i'm not ashamed 
    8->
  •  but I feel like this long stretch between the release of 'Anymore' and the new album could backfire.

What seems bizarre to me is that the last album was leaked.  So, why in the world would they take so long with this one?  I guess they must be feeling pretty confident, for some strange reason, that it won't leak.

this is ONE thing some US artists do well...DROPPING AN ALBUM TODAY..surprise

wow
    i woulda bought the digital, cd and vinyl on the spot....MUTE may need to update their marketing strategies a little 
    Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-17 20:33:16
  • i want that silver ring
    if it was in the official shop i'd buy it
    yes that bad don't ask how much $$$ i paid for 
    that BLACK CHERRY BOOK
    and the $$$ i WOULD pay for that felt mountain LITTLE BOOK

Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-17 21:46:15

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!