Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 54 Comments sorted by
  • To be fair, Chinese vs Japanese is not exactly semantics.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Do I smell burning?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yeah, back on topic.  

Lee.

I'm not sure of the corollary there, PG, but I do like the poem Anabell Lee.  Even if it is a bit dark for my tastes, it's better than a lot of Poe's particular brand of gloom.
  • I guess it's all the Lee and Sea rhyming that caught my attention. Also the line in Lee, "you're eyes without a face" reminded me of the Poe line "And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes" -the fact that she's not physically there with him, but he stills feels her presence because they are soulmates. I find it oddly captivating, albeit a bit dark.

Oh, and also during this time 'Annabel' was recorded. Annabel, Lee.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Wow!  That's a lot of connecting of dots, PG.  Well done!  Do you theorize a lot?
  • I love Lee, I remember thinking it wouldn't have hurt putting it on somewhere in the middle of the album and having 11 tracks in total, but I understand maybe they just wanted Tales to be a 10 track affair. I'm sure I heard the intro (or something that sounded like the intro) inbetween 2 songs from the Air Studios live show, as some kind of short interval.. since then I've always thought it could have been a nice Track 7 song after Thea.

Not sure if anyone else gets the connection, but the first time I heard Lee I found the melody in the verse to be similar to Blue Moon?
  • I love Lee, I remember thinking it wouldn't have hurt putting it on somewhere in the middle of the album and having 11 tracks in total, but I understand maybe they just wanted Tales to be a 10 track affair. I'm sure I heard the intro (or something that sounded like the intro) inbetween 2 songs from the Air Studios live show, as some kind of short interval.. since then I've always thought it could have been a nice Track 7 song after Thea.

Not sure if anyone else gets the connection, but the first time I heard Lee I found the melody in the verse to be similar to Blue Moon?

I'd have not complained if Ulla was switched with Lee and given the B-side treatment.
    Don't know what it is about that one that I don't like — maybe the melody. Not sure. To me, it feels sing-songish and teasing or something. 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-16 11:07:10
  • I love Ulla! But I know what you mean.. it does come and go and not much happens. I love the verses and the harmonies, and that gorgeous cello. 

The only one I'm torn with is probably Alvar. I love it from an instrumental / experimental point of view, but I think what made it worse for me is that it was performed quite a lot.. at one point I was hoping for them to drop it out of the setlist to allow others to be performed. Felt a bit flat to do a Glastonbury set and perform Alvar slap bang in the middle.. 

Back to Lee.. it'd be interesting if they ever decide to perform it on tour. I'm sure they sang Beautiful on the Supernature Tour and they've done other b-sides before that.. But I guess it'd be weird to include it on the future tour with it being so different to the new style of music.
  • Wow!  That's a lot of connecting of dots, PG.  Well done!  Do you theorize a lot?

Yes, I do. I have a mind that consistently works overtime. Sometimes to my own detriment, haha.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!