Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
A little something while we wait
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Did you do that, Tompat? Good music! Thanks x
  • I don't know if it was the intended effect or not, but I found that absolutely hilarious!  
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Ha. Im now thinking of Brass eye (Chris) after viewing that logo/world thing
  • Thanks all. Just something that I threw together. The intention was to add the new soundtrack from Goldfrapp, but couldn't get it past YouTube , not surprisingly I suppose.
  • You know, in all those pictures, she could still sing the opening and end of Utopia.
    I'm still in shock!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Can she not sing them anymore UT?  I was under the impression our songstress was unbeaten by any of her older material, even 17 years on :(
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

Can she not sing them anymore UT?  I was under the impression our songstress was unbeaten by any of her older material, even 17 years on :(

If you go to the Era 7 interview thread and follow the link posted by Whispered ( or click here http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/34641/1/goldfrapp-anymore-video-interview) she confesses her vocal range has dropped and she can no longer sing the operatic intro to Utopia. Now, Horse Tearz mentioned that she has not sung the opening section for several years, which is correct. I assumed she meant all the operatic part of that song but the intro section may have higher notes than the end ( the odd semitone or tone) so perhaps it is that.
    If you remember, in the intro, the first operatic section in the opening is double tracked with 'It's a strange day, all colours and shapes' and she cannot sing both together, so when I first saw them, she would do the operatic bit first, then ' It's a .....' then carry on with the song to the operatic denouement. It's always stunning and one of the things that stands her apart from the also rans.
    New gigs will tell all!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-10 12:23:37
  • The Utopia thing is interesting. The initial vocal, which as UT says, she hasn't sung live for some time, by my reckoning, hits "high A" (A5). But the closing operatic phrase goes 3 semitones higher - to "soprano C" (C6), and she has always done that live - twice over! So maybe it's something to do with the phrasing that makes it easier. Or perhaps it is difficult to go from a standing start into the opening phrase, live.

What I do know is that it is one of the greatest vocals in pop, ever.
  • ^ I second that. Not many could match it (in Pop/Rock) so such a shame if it has become a challenge as she has matured.
  • Try these two vids Whispered. The text only shows up on PC's or laptops but these actually call off the note in the various songs.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-11 15:02:35
  • Lovely, UT.

Y'know, what that little collage also does is remind me how much GF has been part of my life all these years.
  • I first heard the Frapp after I was told that there was this woman called Alison Goldfrapp who played the theremin by dancing with it. I went straight out and bought Black Cherry, which had just come out.

On first hearing, I assumed that Will was singing the opening vocal on Tiptoe.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!