Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Ponygurl said:

Ok- I'll give you MY interpretation of the video- (granted, it is highly gay and biased)

- it's about turning women gay. 

what?

and @urban_tribesman LOL those interpretive videos kill me 

anyway the video: lovely location 
    besides that i found myself bored and waiting for something interesting

EDIT not to say it's not well crafted and visually stunning at times
    but not a repeat viewing type of video for myself 

Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-09 14:52:27
  • Ponygurl said:

Ok- I'll give you MY interpretation of the video- (granted, it is highly gay and biased)

- it's about turning women gay. You see, the one girl with shaved-head and nose piercing grabs the girl in orange from behind- she's the sexual aggressor. So now that the girl in orange has experienced it, SHE now wants to become the aggressor. The pierced-nose girl now covers her face thinking, "fuck, I've created a monster". Then we see the girl in orange grab our own beloved Alison from behind...and the energetic direction of passion continues- then Alison wants to.....be a freak. Not sure how the twins play in yet, besides being beautiful..have to watch again-

Yeah, that's good, but wrong.

The video actually illustrates the currently most plausible hypothesis for the mechanism through which life originated on earth. The women represent protons, which at first are in a low energy state and comparitively unreactive, bound in inert compounds at low energy states. AG sings their of their desire for energy in order to react (You're what I want/Your what I need...Make me a freak [i.e. a reactive agent] ). Then first proton (in orange) is subducted into the deep crust through tectonic action and at length expelled from a warm hydrothermal vent. Now in a high energy state, she emerges eager to interact. Unfortunately , her fate is to collide with a nonreactive particle.

Two more protons (in black) are also subducted, expelled and begin to interact - this time, with each other. However, without a membrane to divide them, it is not possible to set up the kind of proton gradient necessary to drive more complex chemical reactions. The two blonde women/protons illustrate how this situation can lead to stasis as they have diffused far from the vent and become locked in an inert, low energy form again.

For a while, a suitable membrane appears close to the black, high energy protons (Alison in red) . However, the membrane is short-lived and fugitive, so that the protons remain on the same side. As a result, they become locked in step with each other and unable to generate a membrane potential. The plaintive refrain, "Connect me to the other side" fades as we appreciate the contingency of even this first simple step in the chain of life.

Almost too obvious, really.
  • Good point Whispered, but I'll have to disagree. You are correct about the 'reaction' however. All living things are in a 'reactive' state. Energy is transferable, and can be A.) creative B.) destructive C.) neutral. When one force acts upon another there is a transference. All of life is created from both male and female...therefore we all are 'both' in essence. The energy is polarized however and expresses itself through a spectrum, like light. When opposite energies are magnetically pulled together, it creates a third more powerful combined energy. In the video we clearly see the transference of energy happening, that's why sex is so powerful. Sex excites, and when not controlled can be destructive. Therefore there must be a steady release of this energy, instead of burning bright and fast. But back to the video, we are looking at Alison's hand (with ring) grasp the sand...like in Stranger. In 'Stranger' the release was death..unfortunately. Here, she is searching for release of a different, explosive, creative kind..

It all makes perfect sense, really. :D
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Glad you raised the "Stranger" video, PG. Although superficially, death appears as an end point, we all know that in truth, energy is neither created nor destroyed, but rather is transformed from one state to another. In the "Anymore" video, we see how at last the energy of the "dying" woman re-emerges into a "living" state once more, just as atoms are endlessly recycled through the matter of the Universe.

Deep Honey, baby, deep honey x

• Did you not all see the interpretive video above?
    It's all religious metaphor and Alision has now signed up to a manufactured religious conceit, obviously because she is getting older and has concerns for her mortality. She is obviously not comfortable with being returned to the atoms from which she was formed, hence the move towards a faith system.
    Simple!
    [-O<
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Wow.

Quite literally the first Goldfrapp video I could not stand. I honestly can't bear to watch it all the way through again, and that hurts! I want to like it, I really do. However, it just rubs me the wrong way and repeated views and attempts at watching it just result in me getting annoyed and going back to the utterly sublime ToU videos. I can understand and appreciate the angle they were going for - if it's meant to be understood, that is - but I could have done without a full video focusing primarily on shots of the backup dancers staring off into space and rubbing each other. Alison looked positively gorgeous, and I'd have loved if the video allowed a proper look at her. No offence intended, of course, but I personally could not stand this video. Personally I think it could have served far better as a trailer for the album.

Systemagic hopefully will be better (if you've heard it, you know as much as I do of its single potential).
    I'm happy some of you enjoyed it though! 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-09 17:00:56
  • Opinions are polarised in here today that's for sure. But we can all agree that after Head First, Alison and Will have gone in a much more darker and creative direction. I think the experience really took its toll on them.

• I completely agree.

This era and the ones after it are going to be very interesting. I'll always love and respect those two and their journey.
  • whispered said:

The video actually illustrates the currently most plausible hypothesis for the mechanism through which life originated on earth. The women represent protons, which at first are in a low energy state and comparitively unreactive, bound in inert compounds at low energy states. AG sings their of their desire for energy in order to react (You're what I want/Your what I need...Make me a freak [i.e. a reactive agent] ). Then first proton (in orange) is subducted into the deep crust through tectonic action and at length expelled from a warm hydrothermal vent. Now in a high energy state, she emerges eager to interact. Unfortunately , her fate is to collide with a nonreactive particle.

Two more protons (in black) are also subducted, expelled and begin to interact - this time, with each other. However, without a membrane to divide them, it is not possible to set up the kind of proton gradient necessary to drive more complex chemical reactions. The two blonde women/protons illustrate how this situation can lead to stasis as they have diffused far from the vent and become locked in an inert, low energy form again.

So what you're saying is this is Alison Goldfrapp's guide to particle physics......
    To be set alongside Britney Spears Guide to Semiconductor Physics http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm :)
    Post edited by NovaLasing at 2017-02-09 17:37:32
  • Pretty picture. It moves.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • when i first watched it thought it was meant to represent the importance of always making sure your belt matches your shoes.... (FIRST VIEWING pre-coffee)

but then i read that it might be about turning women gay --- which is ridiculous given the fact that people typically don't TURN gay - they ARE or they AREN'T.... (then I had several coffees, the fog lifted, and;)

I read about the origins of life theory (@whispered) and I thought - OK - Alison might represent god (an alien really if you look at her outfit in the early shots) creating life on earth, then leaving and becoming (through our human interpretation of higher power) the devil - BUT - I don't know what that all means.
    Post edited by lukasgardiner at 2017-02-09 18:36:10
  • Do we have confirmation that Alison directed the video?  I hate to say it, but I really miss Lisa's eye and how lovingly and sensually she captured Alison's image.  Even in videos in which she made, essentially, a cameo, like 'Stranger', her presence felt essential.  
  • Wasted potential IMO.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Looking at the video again, the baldie in the orange looks quite masculine - not worked out yet whether that is significant....
  • Are you guys just upset that there's no D in the video? Just curious. I would've liked more, longer shots of Alison myself. She's still got it :)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-10 00:57:57
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!