Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Guess the Sound #Goldfrapp7 Poll
  • (Just for kicks and bragging rights)

A poll to try and guess what kind of sonic soundscape #Goldfrap7 will explore...
    Thank the Internet for the long and varied list of potential musical adventures, feel free to add or make up your own genre as long as you give us an example. Kind of funny just imagining what a Goldfrapp album in each of these genres would sound like.

Goth
    Grunge
    Hard Rock
    Indie Rock
    Lo-fi
    New Wave
    Shoegaze
    Anime
    Lullabies
    Classical
    Baroque
    Chamber Music
    Chant
    Choral
    Honky Tonk
    Bluegrass
    Country
    Dance (EDM)
    Breakcore
    Dubstep
    Witch House
    House
    Jungle
    Techno
    Trance
    Easy Listening
    Lounge
    Swing
    8bit
    Ambient
    Vaporwave
    Downtempo
    Electronic Rock
    Trip Hop
    Hip-Hop
    Alternative Rap
    Indie Pop
    Industrial
    Inspirational
    Gospel
    Punk
    Jazz
    Acid Jazz
    Bebop
    Big Band
    Dixieland
    Ragtime
    Smooth Jazz
    Tango
    Bossa Nova
    Salsa
    New Age
    Meditation
    Opera
    Pop
    Chamber Pop
    Dance Pop
    Dream Pop
    Orchestral Pop
    Pop/Rock
    Soft Rock
    Synthpop
    R&B/Soul
    Disco
    Funk
    Reggae
    Dancehall
    Ska
    Arena Rock
    Cock Rock
    Glam Rock
    Metal
    Noise Rock
    Prog-Rock/Art Rock
    Psychedelic
    Rockabilly
    Spazzcore
    Trash Metal
    Singer/Songwriter
    Indie Folk
    Folk-Rock
    Love Songs
    Spoken Word
    Doo-wop
    Standards
    Calypso
    Drinking Songs
    Drone
    Indian Ghazal
    Klezmer
    Polka
    Worldbeat
    Zydeco

Post edited by A_is_A at 2016-12-25 22:32:07
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • 38 Comments sorted by
  • Goldfrapp would not be so prosaic as to be pinned by one description.  Even ToU wasn't that boring.

I'd say that it is going to be an extremely away from somnabulant.  In fact, I would say it will be like a reaction to ToU.  High, high, high energy, of course with the classical underpinning that will never go away.
  • I agree that Goldfrapp music doesn't always fit neatly in a box. That said, I do think each album has a distinct and describable sound. HeadFirst was somewhat 80's pop, and TOU more noir cinematic soundtrack.
    My guess, and it is nothing more than a stab in the dark...is that this album will be their own brand of white Witch House with a kiss of worldbeat and two, maybe three wicked EDM pieces for the disco dance floor.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • If I remember correctly, and you Wiki the first 6 albums, 19 different genres are mentioned.
    Steampunk is not mentioned in your list M, not that I think the next album will resort to this. Given Alison's age, would some upbeat disco glam be fitting? I suspect a return to the BC profile with the same sophisticated mix of upbeat anthemic numbers and cinemo/soundtrack inspired numbers with lush string arrangements and Will's signature Moog filter sweeps.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I'm thinking of Sergio Leone with maybe some yeehaw country stylings (it would fit with the desert rocks)
    Post edited by whispered at 2016-12-26 14:44:12
  • I like what you suggest, AisA.  I also really like the steampunk thing.  Interesting.
  • What, like this WW? A bit theatrical for Alison IMO
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-12-26 15:02:12
  • I think it'll have a bit more life than ToU but I honestly think those expecting another Supernature might be disappointed. I don't know how people are getting "upbeat pop" from what we've seen so far.

• What, like this WW? A bit theatrical for Alison IMO

Good God...I should hope not!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Low said:

I don't know how people are getting "upbeat pop" from what we've seen so far.

I'm not getting upbeat pop either, at least not from the Instagram peek picture. Which is essentially all we're going on.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Hahaha! I don't think so, UT.

The only thing I'm really expecting is energy.  I can just feel a LOT of energy but, my intuition has been shot to hell, lately, or circumvented.  Not sure which.
  • A_is_A said:

What, like this WW? A bit theatrical for Alison IMO

Good God...I should hope not!

I saw Caudia Pavonis supporting Toyah a couple of months ago. Very theatrical, full costume on stage. Very visual and extrovert. Not Alison's comfort zone at all. Maybe on video, but not on stage.
    I too think a return to Supernature scale Glitter Rock is unlikely.
  • But try and guess... Give it a go, what shall it be?
    New fangled, fantastically strange Klezmer music...that would be something:)
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • A dulcimer and hurdy gurdy chorus with hollowed log percussion and....Wolf Ladies.
    Definatley Wolf Ladies ( rubs hands together and grins lasciviously) !
  • Something futuristic sounding would be nice..who really knows what that means though. Something futury soundtrackish or soundtrackingly futuristic. Then again, I've been listening to the Solaris OST..and that's prob why I'm leaning in such a direction. Hypnotically Sci-Fi
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-12-26 21:44:37
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • A blurb in the latest issue of Mojo states that the album has a "synth-heavy sound... think stomping underground electronica, sensual ethereal melodies, metal machine pop."
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!