Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • As it was explained to me, bagged tea was invented to utilize the dregs of whole leaf batches.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • If anyone knows about teabagging, if would have to be you iuv. ( I couldn't resist ;) )
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Teabags. OK for work time when you are in a hurry but, at home? Teapot and loose tea every time!

Do you think it affects the taste, UT?  That's the story I get.  I know I like to let my water settle for tea or coffee before I brew.
  • iuventus said:

As it was explained to me, bagged tea was invented to utilize the dregs of whole leaf batches.

Sounds about right.  Kinda like hamburger...
  • Wikipedia [ack!] states that tea bags were first used for sampling and then became widespread for rationing during WWII. If that's true, when did they start filling them with what they swept off the packing room floor?
    Post edited by iuventus at 2016-06-07 22:35:50
  • I think, Iuv, that it probably arrived about the time that the phrase "cheap is cheap" came into vogue.  Not being an officiando of tea, I can't say that I can really tell the difference, though.  It's just that none of the really good teas come in a bag.  Of course, finding any really good tea in the U.S. (other than maybe a major city) is nearly impossible.  That's okay for me, since I'm fine with Folger's instant coffee.

Which reminds me of a story.  Back when Greg Louganis was an Olympic diver, ABC did this thing called "Up close and personal" which was an interview with some of the Olympic contestants.  One of Greg's competitors was a Chinese guy and he happened to be going to school in the U.S.  One question put to him was if he enjoyed hamburgers.  His statement always stuck with me.  It was something like, "Yeah, hamburgers are good but I just can't wait to get back to China and have some chicken feet!"  That taught me the lesson that it is all about what one gets used to.  I knew another guy that grew up near a paper mill.  Have you ever smelled the scent coming from a paper mill?  It is awful.  And, yet, for him, it always smelled wonderful because it brought reminiscence of a great time in his life.

Yeah, waxing verbose, once again.  It's been awhile.
  • I grew up near a plant that manufactured cocoa and shredded coconut.
  • That doesn't sound like a foul smell.
  • No.
  • The important thing to remember is, with tea made in a pot, the tea goes into the pot first, then the water goes in boiling hot from the kettle. Ideally, you warm the pot with some hot water first as pouring boiling water into a cold pot instantly reduces its temperature by 7 - 10 degrees. It needs to be boiling as that is best for the initial brewing of the leaves. Leave it for 3 To 4 minutes and your good to go.
    Coffee, on the other hand, if you pour boiling water onto beans, or even instant coffee, you scorch it and make it bitter. Ideally, let the kettle stand for a couple of minutes to reduce the temperature to about 92 degrees.
    Another way you can do this is put a little cold water on the beans/coffee first, as this reduces the temperature of the boiling water the same way that a cold teapot does.
    Teabags generally use smaller bits of leaves, the 'sweepings up' of general myth. Yes, you can taste the bag, even if you take your tea with milk!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-06-08 16:39:32
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Wow!  I've tried a lot of different things for coffee.  I tried a cold drip which, hands down, made the best tasting coffee but it's a lot of trouble.  You drip one drop every few seconds for, like overnight.  Then, to heat it and not burn it, you have to use a double boiler.  I guess it's like real Kobe steak.  It is incredible to eat but all of the marbling would probably give you a heart attack in short order.  Anyways, Folgers instant works fine.  In fact, I like that I can mix caff and decaff to adjust the caffeination.

So, with tea, though, I use a strainer teabag kinda thingy made of metal.  It sounds like you just drop it right into the pot?  If so, the old myth about 3 minutes must not count.  I guess my fastidious nature makes me think that's messy.  But, if you tell me that's the way to drink it, I'll give it a try.  I've done the warming the pot and all that.  So, the only thing I may need to adjust is dropping it straight in the pot.  Actually, usually, since it's usually only me, I usually do a single cup.  If I try a teapot full, I'll just have to plan on staying up all night!
  • The metal thingy is called an infuser. Voila !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-06-09 16:37:37
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • No tea balls for me; I prefer that mine float freely. The leaves that is.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2016-06-09 19:21:45
  • The metal thingy is called an infuser. Voila !

Ah!  Hehehe.  Now, can I remember that for the next time I use the term...
  • i have just got a new laptop. it runs windows 10.

i hate all the "synching" malarkey it insists upon. i do not want microsoft tracking me everywhere i go. i do not want my details shared with their valued partners

But the worst thing is that I cant log into the GMB! And even if i put my email or username in and request a new passord, I get nothing in reply!

What can I do?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!